LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Real Gerry Lopez Signature

zaGaffer : I dusted of the Lightning Bolt and took a few more pics. It's a 7'6". Looks like 1299 penciled into the balsa rib about 5 inches behind the signature. The # is upside down from the signature. Otherwise the # looks like GG21. Gerry's signature sure looks legit. You can even see the different pressures the sharpy marker left at the beginning and end of the letter strokes. I'm no expert ... probably watch too much Dexter. Just seems like all the circumstances point to it being legit. It was old and had been hiding under the deck when I found it in 1990. It was on Maui, Gerry had a house and surfed there. Signature looks real. I've seen so many pics of Lopez riding a big yellow gun. You guys would have a better idea , check out the pics. Th100_2007.jpg100_2008.jpg100_2009.jpg100_2010.jpg100_2012.jpganks

Lopez Lightning Bolt

Here are a few more pics. of the "Holy Bolt"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ommmm, wow. That's not a laminate, that's definitely somebody's signature. Gerry's or not I don't know, go to an expert to get a real appraisal. Shape and size look right. Are you looking to sell it? If so, how much do you for want for it?

zaGaffer ... When you say "expert"...

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Ommmm, wow. That's not a laminate, that's definitely somebody's signature. Gerry's or not I don't know, go to an expert to get a real appraisal. Shape and size look right. Are you looking to sell it? If so, how much do you for want for it?
    Do you mean expert on signatures or surfboards? Can you suggest one? Yes, I'm interested in selling. Getting rid of some of my toys. Not sure of a value/price. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDepth89 View Post
    Do you mean expert on signatures or surfboards? Can you suggest one? Yes, I'm interested in selling. Getting rid of some of my toys. Not sure of a value/price. Thanks.
    Surfboard expert.

I can recommend a couple in San Diego. There's Joe Roper down in Point Loma, he does incredible restorations of vintage boards and I've had several dings repaired there over the years. If you can track him down, Mitch at Mitch’s in La Jolla (his sister runs the one in Solana, so don’t bother calling there) has supplied materials to SoCal shapers for about 40 years now and knows vintage boards. There's JP (Tri-Fins-Are-Dangerous) at Surfy Surfy in Leucadia, who's an authority on late 60’s and early 70’s boards and just a super nice guy (I think I owe him a couple of bucks for wax). You could try the Oceanside or San Clemente Surf Board Museums, although I don’t know if they do appraisals for private parties.

However, being it’s a Hawaiian board, you might as well start there. You can call SurfNSea in Haleiwa and ask for Joe Green. He’s the owner and has the largest collection of Nolls and Bolts I’ve ever seen. He also drives a bi1chn’ Model A truck, with surf racks of course. Randy Rarick is probably the established authority on vintage Bolts. He also resides on O’ahu. I had the pleasure of sharing the line-up with him for about an hour last fall at Rocky Point between the Haleiwa and Sunset contests. Real nice guy, at least to a complete stranger. He might help you out. All that being said, at some point, to tell you what’s what with your board, they’re gonna need to do this to it:

Well maybe they won’t need to molest it the way that guy does, but they will need to physically see the board to authenticate it and you’re in Washington, which could be a problem. If you don’t mind me asking, where are you in Washington? I go up to Coupeville on Whidbey a couple of times a year.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Feb 26, 2013 at 11:06 PM.

I've got a Gerry Lopez board up for sale on ebay right now.....Has the number 01597 in pen and Gerry's signature up top with "Ala Moana Model" written underneath it. It's a "A Pure Source" board. It was in my dad's garage for the last 25 years. I'm wondering if its the real thing or the SoCal version? Any ideas?IMG_6189.jpgIMG_6190.jpgIMG_6191.jpg

Looks like a lam man. Can't really tell 100%, but it looks like there's a rice paper halo around the signature.
    Take it a good board shop. If you're in SD go to Joe Roper or Surfy Surfy. They know what's up.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Looks like a lam man. Can't really tell 100%, but it looks like there's a rice paper halo around the signature.
    Take it a good board shop. If you're in SD go to Joe Roper or Surfy Surfy. They know what's up.
    I got it confirmed today as the real deal. Serial number and signature. Thanks

Sweet. That's a hell of a board then. Where did you get that done? Did you get some paper work?

Also, what's the link to the eBay auction?