LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    if he spelled his name with a "J", that should tell you something about the authenticity. My friend George once bought John Voight's car
    i bet the guy selling it doesn't even know that he has a fake.. just sayin'.. after watching pawn stars and people walk in to sell something, 90% of the time they have no idea what they have.

Your lopez is list on ebay right now. Over the 600 mark and is listed as a real Gerry signed bolt. There is another mint lopez listed for over 2700! We will see what happens. The signature on the board does look real, are you sure it is rice paper? The rice paper signatures were normally in the top right hand corner of the board and not on the stringer.

Quote Originally Posted by mjsurf1 View Post
    Your lopez is list on ebay right now. Over the 600 mark and is listed as a real Gerry signed bolt. There is another mint lopez listed for over 2700! We will see what happens. The signature on the board does look real, are you sure it is rice paper? The rice paper signatures were normally in the top right hand corner of the board and not on the stringer.
    Don’t know about the board on eBay, haven’t seen it. Could be legit.

However, I've glassed a board or two and am 100% positive that the Gerry Lopez signature on the board I saw was a rice paper laminate. Both myself and the owner of the local surf shop, who is an authority on vintage surfboards, thought it was a Hobie made board. He guessed Terry Martin (who is still a hell of a shaper, but his balsa boards are the valuable ones) and thought that it was a very early example of the “A Pure Source” brand, which were the legally licensed, mainland made Bolts and placed it’s resale value at 250$ US.

As soon as you see the board in person, you know it wasn't made for Hawai'i surf. That's a SoCal board. Different waves, different boards.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jan 11, 2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Gerry not Jerry, derp

A Gerry with a leash plug?

Good luck with the board. I got a Rory russel lightning bolt in the stash. sick and thick!

Real Gerry Lopez board ...

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Donít know about the board on eBay, havenít seen it. Could be legit.

However, I've glassed a board or two and am 100% positive that the Gerry Lopez signature on the board I saw was a rice paper laminate. Both myself and the owner of the local surf shop, who is an authority on vintage surfboards, thought it was a Hobie made board. He guessed Terry Martin (who is still a hell of a shaper, but his balsa boards are the valuable ones) and thought that it was a very early example of the ďA Pure SourceĒ brand, which were the legally licensed, mainland made Bolts and placed itís resale value at 250$ US.

As soon as you see the board in person, you know it wasn't made for Hawai'i surf. That's a SoCal board. Different waves, different boards.
    Howzit? Not sure if I'm putting this in the right place. Just found you guys online and you seem pretty knowledgeable about Gerry's boards. I remember growing up in Del Mar as a 12 year old, surfing with my little friends before and after school. 1973 or '74 Gerry
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like most of my message got lost ... Brought this Gerry Lopez to the mainland when I moved from Maui in '92. Pretty sure this is the real Holy Grail Board ... played Paintball in the jungle with Laird Hamilton, Gerry and his brother,etc. in 1988 and 1989 ... Super cool guys. Found the board under a deck upcountry on Maui. In great shape ... been in my family room for twenty years. I'm quite sure it's the real deal. Getting rid of a few of my toys. Can you guys give me an idea of what it's worth. Thanks

Roy Stuart would know. And he'd sell it for a million & one bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by DrDepth89 View Post
    Looks like most of my message got lost ... Brought this Gerry Lopez to the mainland when I moved from Maui in '92. Pretty sure this is the real Holy Grail Board ... played Paintball in the jungle with Laird Hamilton, Gerry and his brother,etc. in 1988 and 1989 ... Super cool guys. Found the board under a deck upcountry on Maui. In great shape ... been in my family room for twenty years. I'm quite sure it's the real deal. Getting rid of a few of my toys. Can you guys give me an idea of what it's worth. Thanks
    If you're in SD, take it down to Joe Roper; he could probably give you a pretty good estimate.

Never mind, you're in Washington. Get a better picture of the signature on the deck and any other writing on the board. Can't tell anything from those pics.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Feb 22, 2013 at 03:22 PM.

Nice board. No idea of the value. There are a few folks on this board that'll probably point you in the right direction though.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    R0y S**^rt would know. And he'd sell it for a million & one bucks.
    Please don't mention his name. I'm sure he has a google search alert setup so he can chime in with his "knowledge"...cough...cough...cough whenever he is mentioned. That thread was entertaining but once is enough.