LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I posted some pics in the Coil thread, but here's a few others...DSC00997.jpgDSC01014.jpgDSC01011.jpgDSC01003.jpg

2. just checked out their website. hey DawnPatrol, did you meet up with the shapers and get a board specifically for you? or is yours just off the rack?

either way, that board you got looks really good. let us know some feedback on how you liked it in the water. thanks, take it easy man.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnydon'tsurf View Post
    just checked out their website. hey DawnPatrol, did you meet up with the shapers and get a board specifically for you? or is yours just off the rack?

either way, that board you got looks really good. let us know some feedback on how you liked it in the water. thanks, take it easy man.
    Hey Johnny, I actually went directly through Mike Daniels, ordered custom and drove over to his shaping room to pick it up from him. He's a really cool dude, down-to-earth, and really knows his stuff. He did a great job on the board, and was very responsive when I had questions or wanted to get his opinion or feedback on anything.

Images
    What size dimples are the most effective, larger or smaller? I was thinking about this and wondered if you would get a similar "dimples" type result if you didn't hot coat the bottom of your board. Would the slight depressions from the weave act as dimples?

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    What size dimples are the most effective, larger or smaller? I was thinking about this and wondered if you would get a similar "dimples" type result if you didn't hot coat the bottom of your board. Would the slight depressions from the weave act as dimples?
    Look no further then the skin of the mako shark. saw some discovery science type of show explaining how the mako shark's skin traps tiny tiny water molecules thus creating a water on water surface allowing it to travel with reduced drag. I think the closest thing we can get to that on a surfboard is very fine grit sandpaper rubbed back and forth on the bottom of the board, not side to side.

The optimal grit size depends upon the speed. I use 400 grit blending into 600 in the tail.

The weave might act as dimples, but you wont have long to enjoy the effect, as the board falls apart.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Look no further then the skin of the mako shark. saw some discovery science type of show explaining how the mako shark's skin traps tiny tiny water molecules thus creating a water on water surface allowing it to travel with reduced drag. I think the closest thing we can get to that on a surfboard is very fine grit sandpaper rubbed back and forth on the bottom of the board, not side to side.
    I'll remember that next time I'm hanging out with a mako shark....

I think I read somewhere that the indentations or dimples would essentially trap air reducing drag by cutting the viscosity (right term?) of the water.

Speaking to you and Roy, the fine grit sanding doesn't add any dimples. I think this thread was comparing dimples on a board to something like dimples on a golf ball.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    The weave might act as dimples, but you wont have long to enjoy the effect, as the board falls apart.
    Why? You could saturate the weave with enough resin to make it pretty strong. The hotcoat definitely adds strength and continuity to the total strength of the board but it's pretty strong with the resin/weave combination.

I'll remember that next time I'm hanging out with a mako shark....

Speaking to you and Roy, the fine grit sanding doesn't add any dimples. I think this thread was comparing dimples on a board to something like dimples on a golf ball.
    the dimples would have to be miniscule (think NJShredmachine's biceps)... how would you go about creating that? I think golf ball dimples would not trap the water molecules but just give the water something to get slowed down on instead.
    I guess maybe you could glass your board, then get a surfboard sized fine grit sand paper and layit ontop of the glass job while it dries??? then maybe you'd have tiny enough dimples. but that probably wouldnt work.
    Last edited by MFitz73; Apr 24, 2013 at 09:04 PM.