LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Some day we may get some waves and I may get a chance to ride it. Some day....... some day.....

Hi All, So stoked to see you frothing on our dimple fins. Dimples really work!! The key to understanding why Dimples work is in the size of the dimples. If they are too big or too small it creates more resistance (Drag) when they are just right size they create less resistance (speed) while producing more hold. We have used a program called Computational Fluid Dynamics (which is such an advancement from tank testing, its like comparing the horse and cart to a jet plane) to prove up our theories before going into production. Kerzzy has been pushing us to make the dimples the best for everyone who rides them, and had such confidence, he rode them in a WCT for the first time at Pipe, beating Kelly twice and getting his best Career result 2nd. We have had a 100% result of surfers saying it makes them go faster, which has blown us away, but from the test results does not surprise us. You tend to have doubts until it becomes a reality. Dimples will become a standard for fins over the next few years. We are just about to sign an american distributor and they will be everywhere, but in the mean time if you go to 3dfins.com I will ship from Australia free for all American, cheers Tom

Has anyone riden the new coils with "kick" (the dimples)? Looking for some feedback.....

Quote Originally Posted by dawnpatrol1187 View Post
    Has anyone riden the new coils with "kick" (the dimples)? Looking for some feedback.....
    I haven't gotten mine wet yet but I will let u know probably next weekend

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    I haven't gotten mine wet yet but I will let u know probably next weekend
    When you ordered it with the dimples, what did Mike Daniels have to say about that design feature? I've read up on the tech, but was curious what the shaper himself had to say.

Stop the constant Coil bull. Its crap

Quote Originally Posted by Surfskater View Post
    It's okay, driving a Ferrari's not for everyone either.

Quote Originally Posted by South Bethany View Post
    When you ordered it with the dimples, what did Mike Daniels have to say about that design feature? I've read up on the tech, but was curious what the shaper himself had to say.
    Great question, 1st i'd like to say that he refers to it as "Kick" (not dimples). Here's a couple quotes of his when I and others have asked him about it, as we all are skeptical at 1st.

"The only people skeptical about the Kick are the ones who haven’t ridden it. All the people who ride it don’t want to go back."

"You know how we do it - we let the surfboards do the talking. "

"But rest assured we wouldn't introduce anything as different as Kick without having testing and feedback that has extremely positive results."

"It's a significant leap in fiber-to-resin ratio, so Kick is both lighter and stronger."

"The Grid schedule is still offered, but Kick is lighter and stronger."

"Solid test results up to DOH+ all over the Caribbean. Of course, if someone wants more weight, we can add. We've always had a heavier schedule as an option for bigger surf."

"The way the Kick waxes up is a big bonus, and for those using booties you may not even need wax."

"I know that the golf ball analogy is going to be used, but it's not applicable in a strict sense. Tripping the boundary layer on a golf ball reduces the drag on a sphere moving through air, by allowing a smaller ''wake'' behind the ball. On a planing surface the effect is a little different. Any planing surface is going to have transition points between laminar (no boundary layer) and turbulent flow. We are just tripping the boundary as soon as possible. All our feedback from testing and initial customer reports indicates it's working."

"As usual, we're not going to do any big claims. We'll just let the surfboards do the talking. It wasn't sharks that specifically inspired Kick. I have to plead the fifth past that."

"We started this thread so people would know it wasn't hype. All these guys paid for their boards and they get no prodding from us to post on here. There's a 260K+ thread about us on the erbb and I don't even post there. We don't engage in hype but I will say we welcome comparisons to any other surfboard out there."

"If you could see my inbox... I wouldn't publish peoples emails, but I'll paraphrase one we just got from a skeptic in the Caribbean. He's reporting the boards pick up speed quicker and are more sensitive and responsive. Something about he knew he should have trusted us lol"

"With new fibers, an increase in fiber/resin ratio, and a new finish, Kick is a bold step."

"Big bold changes are going to produce skepticism. We don't have a problem with that because we have a lot of confidence in the product. That hasn't changed."

"Kick Tech allows us to streamline our process and increase fiber-to-resin ratio while still getting the physicals we want from the skin. Lots and lots of background work and testing went into Kick - we've been heading this direction for a long time. Extremely gratifying to finally ''get there'' and be able to release to the public. Can't wait to send some more up there, but in the meantime I'm sure people will be looking at M's board like it's an alien spacecraft - which of course it essentially is...."

Quote Originally Posted by zagaffer View Post
    it's okay, driving a ferrari's not for everyone either.
    haha, nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Surfskater View Post

^Bitter party of ONE