LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    What size dimples are the most effective, larger or smaller? I was thinking about this and wondered if you would get a similar "dimples" type result if you didn't hot coat the bottom of your board. Would the slight depressions from the weave act as dimples?
    Straight from the horses mouth... Mike Daniel:

I know that the golf ball analogy is going to be used, but it's not applicable in a strict sense. Tripping the boundary layer on a golf ball reduces the drag on a sphere moving through air, by allowing a smaller ''wake'' behind the ball. On a planing surface the effect is a little different. Any planing surface is going to have transition points between laminar (no boundary layer) and turbulent flow. We are just tripping the boundary as soon as possible. All our feedback from testing and initial customer reports indicates it's working.

As usual, we're not going to do any big claims. We'll just let the surfboards do the talking.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Look no further then the skin of the mako shark. saw some discovery science type of show explaining how the mako shark's skin traps tiny tiny water molecules thus creating a water on water surface allowing it to travel with reduced drag. I think the closest thing we can get to that on a surfboard is very fine grit sandpaper rubbed back and forth on the bottom of the board, not side to side.
    Very good observation Fitz, however, Mike Daniel answered this question as well...

"it wasn't sharks that specifically inspired Kick. I have to plead the fifth past that."

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Why? You could saturate the weave with enough resin to make it pretty strong. The hotcoat definitely adds strength and continuity to the total strength of the board but it's pretty strong with the resin/weave combination.
    It might be "pretty strong" but i believe a board glassed and not hotcoated would be really prone to water seepage through the weave, small punctures, and real significant dents if you wiped out and the bottom of the board took an elbow.

Ever pick up a board thats only been glassed and not hotcoated? They are pretty fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    It might be "pretty strong" but i believe a board glassed and not hotcoated would be really prone to water seepage through the weave. . .
    That’s what I’ve always been told.

I’m just taking a stab in the dark here, but I’m guessing that in the last stage of the glassing schedule the Coil guy’s are using a textured vac bag, which rather than dimples has little bumps all over the inside of it. Flip the switch, suck all the air out and the bumps get pressed into the still wet resin. Remove from the bag when it’s cured and the repeat on the other side. I’m guessing that they’re not even sanding the boards much once they pull them out of the bag for the last time, just some rough edges here and there.

Like I said, pure conjecture, I have no idea really.

Hey DPSUP, the dimples aren’t really round are they? More elliptical, right?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    It might be "pretty strong" but i believe a board glassed and not hotcoated would be really prone to water seepage through the weave, small punctures, and real significant dents if you wiped out and the bottom of the board took an elbow.

Ever pick up a board thats only been glassed and not hotcoated? They are pretty fragile.
    Noted... I have to admit, my only experience with a board that wasn't hotcoated was my HWS which is naturally harder and stronger than foam. Good point on the punctures/seepage thing.

DawnPatrol, so what was Mike Daniels saying? They're not using golf ball style dimples but didn't say what they are using.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    That’s what I’ve always been told.

I’m just taking a stab in the dark here, but I’m guessing that in the last stage of the glassing schedule the Coil guy’s are using a textured vac bag, which rather than dimples has little bumps all over the inside of it. Flip the switch, suck all the air out and the bumps get pressed into the still wet resin. Remove from the bag when it’s cured and the repeat on the other side. I’m guessing that they’re not even sanding the boards much once they pull them out of the bag for the last time, just some rough edges here and there.

Like I said, pure conjecture, I have no idea really.

Hey DPSUP, the dimples aren’t really round are they? More elliptical, right?
    That's correct Gaff, here is a close up pic so you can get a better look at it... DSC01003.jpg