Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Stayin' Classy in San Diego

    Honeybadger don't give a sh|1. He drinks outda carton, he drops in N snakes Ur Wave

    And so does Garrett McNamara on his Wavejet at The Cortes Bank! The Cortes Bank, there's no one out there except lobster fishermen and great whites! WTF! OOOOPSIE, sorry bout that brah, didn't check my left. Paddle kiddos. Paddle, paddle, paddle & Paddle Harder. And Don't Drop In.

    Greg Long's Statement

    Thank you to the entire community of friends, family and well-wishers for your concern, your outpouring of love, support and prayers, following the serious wipeout I experienced while surfing at the Cortes Bank on Friday, December 21st.

    I am home, following a 24 hour stay in the UCSD Hospital in San Diego for precautionary observation as a result of the near drowning experience and blunt trauma injuries I suffered from the impact of a sequence of four large waves, and a three wave hold down. I had taken off on the second wave of a four-wave set and was forced to straighten out. After enduring an extremely violent and long hold down, I barely broke the surface and was attempting to grab a breath of air, when I received the full impact of the lip from the third and largest wave of the set. All of my breath was knocked out of me. I nearly lost consciousness at this point and was again driven deep and was subjected to a furious beating. I attempted to swim to the surface as the energy of the wave began to release me, but only made a few strokes before the next wave passed overhead, pushing me back down. As this beating started to subside, I began climbing my leash, hoping to break the surface before passing out. I made it to the tail of my board while it was still submerged in the turbulent and aerated water, at which point I blacked out from CO2 saturation and lack of oxygen.

    Three rescue skis operated by D.K. Walsh, Jon Walla and Frank Quiarte were tracking me following the initial wipeout. After a fourth and smaller white water had passed, I was quickly located, floating face down along side my surfboard by D.K. Walsh. D.K. abandoned his ski, jumping in the water in order to raise my head above the surface. Jon Walla arrived on his ski, and together they pulled me onto the rescue sled. I began regaining consciousness during the ride back to the support boat we were operating from. Several other rescuers assisted getting me onboard at which point I began vomiting the small amount of water I had aspirated and a large amount of blood, which I later learned was from a combination of the blunt force trauma of impact and the rupturing of capillaries due to extreme breath holding. I was stabilized onboard the boat by the lifeguards and paramedics who were part of our safety team, and a Coast Guard helicopter was summoned to transport me back to San Diego.

    Having trained for extreme breath holding, at no point did I allow myself to panic or lose confidence that I was going to survive this incident. I do, however, fully acknowledge that I did exceed my limits of endurance, and that there will always be elements of risk and danger that are beyond my control while surfing waves of any size. Because of those elements of risk, I have always insisted on working with individuals that share my focus on training and preparation. Humbly, I express my deepest gratitude to the team of rescuers and fellow surfers who's training and precise response contributed to saving my life.

    Poor Greg Long, dude's hard. Here's to a speedy recovery. What a gnarly paddle session for almost everyone.

  2. #2
    How many could've survived that? I probably would've passed out on the boat ride to the break lol.

    Hasit been confirmed if Gmac did drop in?

  3. #3
    I read in another article with a statement from him that the two planned on sharing the wave, no one snaked anyone

  4. #4
    That story left out the key part where the 25 Ft great white grabbed his foot, and attempted to eat him. Greg punched the shark right in the beanbag, and held his breath for an amazing 10 minutes! Greg looked at the incoming set and said, "Not today bra!"...........BAM! Greg did a super-human duck-dive, and floated back to the surface after releasing his gigantic balls from his wetsuit!

    There might be more to this story.......

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Central FL
    That's quite the wipeout, glad he's ok

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Crazy. Hope Long sends a thank you note to the USCG. Those guys kick ass no matter what they have to do - and they don't ask why. All of the 'we're gonna make sure the fam gets home safe' precautions mean nothing without the Coast Guard safety net.