LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Pipe Dreams: Jimmy Slade

all for a few perfect waves, great stories about Dora. cant you get along with anyone, is weisbeckers' follow up to, in search of captain zero, great read, another by weisbecker is cosmic banditos.The crossing, is relatively new, the big drop, big wave stories. inside mavericks, history of mavs. surfing brilliant corners by sam bleakley. elmore leonard isnt surf related but his short stories are classic. that should get you started.

Just finished Scratching the Horizon by Izzy Paskowitz. Well worth it to me as I'm a fan of both Izzy and Doc, so on that vein, Surfing and Health by Doc Paskowitz. Read In Search of Captain Zero on a trip to Cali last summer...another must read. someone mentioned Hemmingway. Been working through an anthology of his works....and now I know the mystique and allure. Finished The Sun Also Rises, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and A Farewell to Arms. All engaging on the highest levels. Enjoy!

these books are good... but in the grand scale of books, they aren't. Grab some Hemingway, man. Start with The Old Man and the Sea. It's short, set in / near the ocean, and will make you want to read everything he has ever written.
    Subjective but...yup I feel the same way. Some good non surf ones I have read lately
    Slaughterhouse Five (Dude lives life past, present, and future simultaneously)
    Catch 22 (War in a weird way)
    DMT the Spirit Molecule (brain chemicals & enlightenment...will blow your mind)

Great! Thanks for all replys.

Crossings by Michael kew was a good book about surfing

Images
    +1 on The Spirit Molecule

+1 for Tapping the Source, best surf novel ever written. Same author, Kem Nunn, wrote another novel with surfing called Tortilla Flats. Check out Tim Winton's Breath, another great NOVEL about surfing by one of Australia's best living authors. Weisbecker's Captain Zero is another great read and Kook definitely made me want to give it all up, move to Baja and . . . marry a beautiful Asian girl who also surfs! The Wave is a combination of nonfiction about rogue waves and every other chapter is an adoration of Laird Hamilton.

Isn't there one called "Caught Inside" or "Trapped Inside?" That was a NON novel.

ya i believe we covered this topic recently. i got a few solid recommendations, including cosmic banditos that i just finished reading and was awesome. it has nothing to do with surfing but i highly recommend it to anyone with a sense of adventure (which i think includes most surfers). another recommendation was west of jesus, which i'm gonna start reading today

With The Old Breed, EB Sledge
    Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy
    Thank you Dr. Kevorkian, Vonnegut
    Memory of fire (trilogy), open veins of latin america, Galeano
    Fully Empowered, Neruda
    Sea of Thunder, Thomas