LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uncw

Uncw

just got accepted into the University of North Carolina at Wilmington. Really excited to be heading down there at the end of the summer and was just looking to get any advice anyone has on the area (surf, party atmosphere, bars, etc...) ive been in obx a few times, but never the wrightsville area.i have also heard the most gear you'll need is 3/2 in the dead of winter. any advice helps guys, thanks!

2. UNCW is great.... youll have fun. 2 degrees from the Dub and loved it. im in a 4/3 now but it has a few holes. i dont even wear my booties or gloves on most days and im fine.
    Last edited by kurebeachsurfer; Jan 2, 2013 at 02:43 PM.

I'm in a 4/3 with booties and gloves right now. 2 years ago water got down to 45. I don't know who told you about the 3/2 in the dead of winter but they were wrong.

you will need a 4/3 but nothing more. 5mm split toe booties, 3mm gloves, 4/3 and maybe a hood is more than enough, and its what i have. Last summer wasn't cold what so ever, i didn't wear a hood once and wore gloves less than 5 times. I just started to wear my 4/3 and wore gloves for the 1st time last week. I go to uncw, and my advice to you: GO. it's the ****. you'll love it and its a great school and its only getting more popular.

Congrats on UNCW. The Wilmington area has a really cool vibe and you will definitely have a blast. You will can get away with a 3/2 for the better part of the winter. Anything more will be a luxury on the really cold days. As far as the scene goes, I would make it a point to check out all of Wilmington. There are a lot of cool bars tucked in all over the place and the same goes for surf spots. Don't forget that you're right down the street from Figure 8, CB, Kure, Fort Fisher Coves & many more. Hit me up if you ever paddle out in CB.

Great school! My son went on a partial sports scholarship and lost it because he spent too much time surfing... Graduated on the 5 year plan. I fell in love with the place visiting him and bought a little condo down there. Wet Suit Definitely want a 4/3, but last year I went from a 4/3 in March to board shorts and a rash guard in early April. Wrightsville is good but can seem a bit snobby, but I've never had any problems. Parking can be a b!tch. CB & Kure are more laid back. As GnarActually says: "GO."

Images
    Congrats man UNCW is awesome. Like others said you probably do need at least a 4/3 with booties for the winters. Good bars at the beach and downtown plus lots of parties around campus. However 99% of cops here are fun nazies and won't hesitate to screw you if they can. So come down, surf, have fun, but be careful.

3/2 riiight

Quote Originally Posted by Dudicles View Post
    I'm in a 4/3 with booties and gloves right now. 2 years ago water got down to 45. I don't know who told you about the 3/2 in the dead of winter but they were wrong.
    You'll need a 4/3,booties , gloves, and a hood when the airtemps/windchill is bad in the middle of winter.You'll love wton, i'm a seahawk, some of the best years you'll have. Just word of advice, try to b chill, share a few waves, split a few peaks, and when you go out front, say at c st. show just a little respect to the locals, especially the older ones. Do this and you'll be set. Parking is a pain at wb and paddle with someone the first time you go over to mase. Check out sweetwater surf shop, hope to see you in the water.

^ beach bars are fun. theres a special police force called the ''ALE" that are a big bunch of boners. they bust more parties than the police when i was in high school. bunch of kook pansies. i live on wrightsville beach, pretty cheap and i stay there most of the time on the weekend. lovin' it though

you'll also be logging onto wblivesurf.com 5 times a day, this site is the best, creation of local hero tony butler