LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Watching now...
    I feel like it was made with the idea of being very honest and true to Rob, but it comes off feeling a bit disingenuous to me. Or maybe that is the real Rob?

Images
    I can tell you that Rob is a straight up guy. He comes to Galveston every summer with the Hurley Rip my Shred Stick Tour and hangs out and surfs with all the groms. He has done this for the past several years in a row and comes across as just a normal guy hanging on the beach. The story behind this is that he Made a Wish Come True by inviting one of our local kids, Johnny Romano, who was battling cancer to Pipe because Rob was his hero. Unfortunately Johnny lost his battle but out of respect Rob voluntarily comes to Galveston Tx of all places to show his appreciation. He could easily blow this off but it obviously means something to him. Watching what he can do on any kind of board on the worst conditions is absolutely mid boggling. Sooo fluid and natural it makes you wonder.

As far as the movie goes it is a little weird but I watch it when I want to just chill and think about what it would be like to just leave it all behind. Puts me back in a good place for some odd reason. The bonus footage on the disc is some pretty good stuff. One of the longest perfect lefts I have ever seen on a movie....check it out but you need the actual dvd, not on line.

I think y'all are just jealous of his fro

I've never met the guy nor been in the water with him; but we do live in the same town, so I know plenty of people who have. I have never heard anyone who has met him on land or in the water say anything but nice things about the dude.

I was always under the impression that they made this film based off his solo travels... Rob left the lime light and did his thing, then the film crew went back with him and gathered footage.

As far as a cry baby or emo film? I'd have to disagree. Many modern surf films are all about the glamor of surfing brand name boards with a bunch of stickers on it, doing airs and chicks, wearing expensive sunglasses and clothing and surfing exclusive spots...living the dream so to speak. But that ain't what surfing is all about.. and that's what the "drifter" was trying to hint at..

Sure at the end of the day its still a film and the big dogs are making $$$ off it, but at least the message is getting out there to people. Maybe those guys who are caught up in the materialistic aspect of surfing will watch the film and realize they don't need to spend $60 on a pair of pants by some surf company..or $30 on a flannel... maybe they will realize it's just about going out in the water and appreciating what you've got and spreading the love..

K so Drifter is a lil off the guy has soul. You can't make that sh*t you have to be born with it. AND don't forget his other charities:

http://robmachadofoundation.org/

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebr...o#related-news

What he said
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSoul View Post
    I was always under the impression that they made this film based off his solo travels... Rob left the lime light and did his thing, then the film crew went back with him and gathered footage.

As far as a cry baby or emo film? I'd have to disagree. Many modern surf films are all about the glamor of surfing brand name boards with a bunch of stickers on it, doing airs and chicks, wearing expensive sunglasses and clothing and surfing exclusive spots...living the dream so to speak. But that ain't what surfing is all about.. and that's what the "drifter" was trying to hint at..

Sure at the end of the day its still a film and the big dogs are making $$$ off it, but at least the message is getting out there to people. Maybe those guys who are caught up in the materialistic aspect of surfing will watch the film and realize they don't need to spend $60 on a pair of pants by some surf company..or $30 on a flannel... maybe they will realize it's just about going out in the water and appreciating what you've got and spreading the love..

The hairy free-surfer look is Rob's schtick, just like Dave Rastovich. Both guys rip, but they also have to make a living trying to sell that image (well, their sponsors are the ones who sell the image). Nothing wrong with that, it's not hurting anybody.

It could be worse, they could make a living promoting motorized surfboards.

Images
    I think eveyone assumes that having that laid back persona is a put on and that it can't be for real. And everyone likes to think that the perfect life would be to have nothing to do but to chase and surf perfect waves for the rest of their lives. The problem with that idea is that it's not possible unless you have a change of attitude. You could never sustain a gung ho attitude everyday, year after year without killing yourself either literally or figuratively. So when faced with the endless travel and surfing like some of these guys are, you either run yourself out and move on or you learn to calm and slow yourself down so you don't burn out. When I went to El Salvador last year I was excited beyond belief on day one but by day eight I was pretty worn down and tired and although I surfed the chest to head high waves on the morning of our final day I was content to sit really wide and just take a few pictures. I think I caught 2 waves that morning. That was after 8 days, if you left me down there for a year you would have found me with a long beard, bare feet, and tattered clothes sitting on the cliff waiting for just the perfect tide while I wrote poetry or played the flute.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I think eveyone assumes that having that laid back persona is a put on and that it can't be for real. And everyone likes to think that the perfect life would be to have nothing to do but to chase and surf perfect waves for the rest of their lives. The problem with that idea is that it's not possible unless you have a change of attitude. You could never sustain a gung ho attitude everyday, year after year without killing yourself either literally or figuratively. So when faced with the endless travel and surfing like some of these guys are, you either run yourself out and move on or you learn to calm and slow yourself down so you don't burn out. When I went to El Salvador last year I was excited beyond belief on day one but by day eight I was pretty worn down and tired and although I surfed the chest to head high waves on the morning of our final day I was content to sit really wide and just take a few pictures. I think I caught 2 waves that morning. That was after 8 days, if you left me down there for a year you would have found me with a long beard, bare feet, and tattered clothes sitting on the cliff waiting for just the perfect tide while I wrote poetry or played the flute.
    I like this post Zip. If you surf all the time, you get burnt out from time to time. Gotta take a step back and get perspective. Makes you hungry again.