LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    For a better idea of how much time im going to have which for puerto rico is not much but for the 3 other islands more than enough time here is the itinerary for the cruise.
    Day Date Port of Call / Activity Arrive Depart
    1 Fri Jan 18, 2013 New York, United States -- 4:00 pm
    2 Sat Jan 19, 2013 At Sea -- --
    3 Sun Jan 20, 2013 At Sea -- --
    4 Mon Jan 21, 2013 San Juan, Puerto Rico 3:00 pm 9:00 pm
    5 Tue Jan 22, 2013 Philipsburg, Netherlands Antilles 8:00 am 6:00 pm
    6 Wed Jan 23, 2013 St Thomas, Virgin Islands - U.S 8:00 am 5:00 pm
    7 Thu Jan 24, 2013 Samana, Dominican Republic 8:00 am 4:00 pm
    8 Fri Jan 25, 2013 At Sea -- --
    9 Sat Jan 26, 2013 At Sea -- --
    10 Sun Jan 27, 2013 New York, United States 10:00 am --

Puerto rico is a for sure place i will be surfing at but i get there very late at 3pm.I will probably be waiting at the doors at like 230 or something with my stuff and board to get to the beach as fast as possible. If i go to the closest beach i could be in the water at around 330 - 340 earliest which gives me around 2hours and 30 min to 3 hours MAX until sunset and its dark and cant surf anymore.then i will have a couple of hours to get to the boat and it wil be close by so not a problem. And yes i just bought a waterproof case for my iphone 5 called Lifeproof which you can take 6ft under water and has amazing reviews i just hope i can surf with it in my boardshorts pocket since there is no string attached to it. If anyone has tips or advice with what i can do or put my phone that i will need to take with me bc theres like 60% chance i will be alone since my friend wont want to surf and rather do stupid **** there.

For the 3 other islands each stop is at 8 am so i will be up bright and early at around 730 and at the door at 745-750 waiting to get off so i can maybe even go to a beach thats on the other side of the island. For philisburg i will have 10 hours for st thomas i will have 9 and for DR i will have 8 which is still a very long time and i will probably surf about 3-4 hours maybe 5 if its a good 4-6 ft day and with clean offshore winds. I rather not surf at a place that is more than a 5min paddle out bc I'm not familiar with it and ive been surfing beach breaks(NY AND NJ) only for years now and rather do it when I'm older and on a real surfing trip instead of a short vacation on a cruise.

I will be bringing a 5'7 al merrick motorboat too. i have only two boards that and a 6'2 fiberglass shortboard which i will for sure not bring since its way to big for surfing this waist to head high. I'm only 16 and 5'5 so i wont have a car to lock my stuff in or even rent a car. Are there any of those islands besides puerto rico that has a beach with surfing andwater activites such as a wave runner(jet ski) that i will be able to do after i come from my surfing, because last time i went on one was years ago and i wasnt old enough to go by myself so now i am trying to see which place i can jet ski at.

If anyone has anything else tips or advice i would appreciate it tremendously just as sailquik and goosemagoo have said many things on it that i will use on my trip and for those islands.
    Thank you
    Last edited by JakeZnaty; Jan 4, 2013 at 01:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JakeZnaty View Post
    For a better idea of how much time im going to have which for puerto rico is not much but for the 3 other islands more than enough time here is the itinerary for the cruise.

Puerto rico is a for sure place i will be surfing at but i get there very late at 3pm.I will probably be waiting at the doors at like 230 or something with my stuff and board to get to the beach as fast as possible. If i go to the closest beach i could be in the water at around 330 - 340 earliest which gives me around 2hours and 30 min to 3 hours MAX until sunset and its dark and cant surf anymore.then i will have a couple of hours to get to the boat and it wil be close by so not a problem. And yes i just bought a waterproof case for my iphone 5 called Lifeproof which you can take 6ft under water and has amazing reviews i just hope i can surf with it in my boardshorts pocket since there is no string attached to it. If anyone has tips or advice with what i can do or put my phone that i will need to take with me bc theres like 60% chance i will be alone since my friend wont want to surf and rather do stupid **** there. for the 3 other islands each stop is at 8 am so i will be up bright and early at around 730 and at the door at 745-750 waiting to get off so i can maybe even go to a beach thats on the other side of the island. For philisburg i will have 10 hours for st thomas i will have 9 and for DR i will have 8 which is still a very long time and i will probably surf about 3-4 hours maybe 5 if its a good 4-6 ft day and with clean offshore winds. I rather not surf at a place that is more than a 5min paddle out bc I'm not familiar with it and ive been surfing beach breaks(NY AND NJ) only for years now and rather do it when I'm older and on a real surfing trip instead of a short vacation on a cruise. I will be bringing a 5'7 al merrick motorboat too. i have only two boards that and a 6'2 fiberglass shortboard which i will for sure not bring since its way to big for surfing this waist to head high. I'm only 16 and 5'5 so i wont have a car to lock my stuff in or even rent a car. Are there any of those islands besides puerto rico that has a beach with surfing andwater activites such as a wave runner(jet ski) that i will be able to do after i come from my surfing, because last time i went on one was years ago and i wasnt old enough to go by myself so now i am trying to see which place i can jet ski at. If anyone has anything else tips or advice i would appreciate it tremendously just as sailquik and goosemagoo have said many things on it that i will use on my trip and for those islands.
    Thank you

Hey, kid. I'm exhausted reading that. You ever hear of paragraphs? They still teaching that in school?

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Hey, kid. I'm exhausted reading that. You ever hear of paragraphs? They still teaching that in school?
    is that better?

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    That. I may or may not have been able to help you with your questions, but I couldn't get through the posts to know. A few taps of the return button would have helped. Punctuation is not some old schoolmarmy rulebook b.s. It helps people understand what the hell you're talking about.

Images
    I'm stressed out about this trip. You're talking hours and minutes... I gotta know what you're doing every second. I think you should rethink your board choice. A lot of the locals down there don't like people that bring al merricks, especially motorboats. Have you thought about that yet?

What color board shorts are you wearing? You need to be aware of the colors you shouldn't wear in certain areas. don't want to get a good leash choke because you wore your shorties that match your fins or something, that would suck.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    I'm stressed out about this trip. You're talking hours and minutes... I gotta know what you're doing every second. I think you should rethink your board choice. A lot of the locals down there don't like people that bring al merricks, especially motorboats. Have you thought about that yet?

What color board shorts are you wearing? You need to be aware of the colors you shouldn't wear in certain areas. don't want to get a good leash choke because you wore your shorties that match your fins or something, that would suck.
    wtf?? are you being serious or just joking bc I'm overplanning this trip. what color shorts i wear matters?? why is it bad i bring my al merrick bc theyll think im a big shot or something? because im not ive only been surfing a few years just started short boards this year and improving a lot. the only other board i have is a 6'2 shortboard that was shaped in california and a 6'2 is not what anyone should ride just for waist-shoulder high waves. im 5'5 and this 5'7 is a perfect size from around 2-6 which is what puerto rico and other islands can be. If its bigger then i have too small of a board and wouldnt be worth it.

Images
    HAhaha I kinda want to give you a hug right now. This is pretty cute.

Kid the best trips are the ones where things don't go exactly as planned. No one remembers the things that happened right but the things that went wrong and we somehow made it through. You learn and grow from making mistakes. You probably haven't had a lot of opportunities to make mistakes yet in your life but your time will come. It's abut how you react to your mistakes and overcome them that matters. I mean don't go out looking to F up but if you do.... Oh well, get un-F'd and move along.

A bit of personal advice for this trip is to take it for what it is, a pretty sweet cruise with your friends and family with a very small window for surf. If you go out there and score some thats great but don't let it ruin your trip or your family's trip if you don't... Remember it's a cruise not a "surfin safari" eat some good food, try to swipe a bottle of Bacardi one night (don't F up though), maybe try to find a nice girl to talk to and thank whoever is dragging you along on their vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    HAhaha I kinda want to give you a hug right now. This is pretty cute.

Kid the best trips are the ones where things don't go exactly as planned. No one remembers the things that happened right but the things that went wrong and we somehow made it through. You learn and grow from making mistakes. You probably haven't had a lot of opportunities to make mistakes yet in your life but your time will come. It's abut how you react to your mistakes and overcome them that matters. I mean don't go out looking to F up but if you do.... Oh well, get un-F'd and move along.

A bit of personal advice for this trip is to take it for what it is, a pretty sweet cruise with your friends and family with a very small window for surf. If you go out there and score some thats great but don't let it ruin your trip or your family's trip if you don't... Remember it's a cruise not a "surfin safari" eat some good food, try to swipe a bottle of Bacardi one night (don't F up though), maybe try to find a nice girl to talk to and thank whoever is dragging you along on their vacation.
    haha yeh thanks for advice, will sure use it when i do go. One last thing about it i need a board bag so my board doesnt get fking smashed like it does when i take it on the train and bus to surf on sundays and non-school days and i cant decide which one if you could check them out or know a really good protective one for under $80 that would be great. my boards a 5'7 al merrick motorboat too, so a 5'8 bordbag would fit great

1)http://www.stickebumps.com/store/car...ct_detail&p=74
    2)http://www.cleanlinesurf.com/product...hortboard.html
    3)http://www.surfdogz.com/?product=air...hortboard-bags

Do you have an uncle named Gruvi? Or maybe he was a mailman in your neighborhood a few years back
    It appears you may have some of his blood in your family tree. He's got a dump truck load of positive attitude and energy that most of us wish we had.

Just kidding, keep the stoke and enjoy the trip.

Traveling to A Few Caribbean Islands NEED HELP! - You do need help

Quote Originally Posted by JakeZnaty View Post

Puerto rico is a for sure place i will be surfing at but i get there very late at 3pm.I will probably be waiting at the doors at like 230 or something with my stuff and board to get to the beach as fast as possible. If i go to the closest beach i could be in the water at around 330 - 340 earliest which gives me around 2hours and 30 min to 3 hours MAX until sunset and its dark and cant surf anymore.then i will have a couple of hours to get to the boat and it wil be close by so not a problem. And yes i just bought a waterproof case for my iphone 5 called Lifeproof which you can take 6ft under water and has amazing reviews i just hope i can surf with it in my boardshorts pocket since there is no string attached to it. If anyone has tips or advice with what i can do or put my phone that i will need to take with me bc theres like 60% chance i will be alone since my friend wont want to surf and rather do stupid **** there.

For the 3 other islands each stop is at 8 am so i will be up bright and early at around 730 and at the door at 745-750 waiting to get off so i can maybe even go to a beach thats on the other side of the island. For philisburg i will have 10 hours for st thomas i will have 9 and for DR i will have 8 which is still a very long time and i will probably surf about 3-4 hours maybe 5 if its a good 4-6 ft day and with clean offshore winds. I rather not surf at a place that is more than a 5min paddle out bc I'm not familiar with it and ive been surfing beach breaks(NY AND NJ) only for years now and rather do it when I'm older and on a real surfing trip instead of a short vacation on a cruise.

I will be bringing a 5'7 al merrick motorboat too. i have only two boards that and a 6'2 fiberglass shortboard which i will for sure not bring since its way to big for surfing this waist to head high. I'm only 16 and 5'5 so i wont have a car to lock my stuff in or even rent a car. Are there any of those islands besides puerto rico that has a beach with surfing andwater activites such as a wave runner(jet ski) that i will be able to do after i come from my surfing, because last time i went on one was years ago and i wasnt old enough to go by myself so now i am trying to see which place i can jet ski at.

If anyone has anything else tips or advice i would appreciate it tremendously just as sailquik and goosemagoo have said many things on it that i will use on my trip and for those islands.
    Thank you

Kid, we’re all being nice to you because of your age and your blatantly obvious inexperience; but that’s not how the surfing world, let alone this forum typically works. I get the impression that you lead a rather sheltered existence. Let me lay it down for you without the sugar coating and trust me, this is my nice version of this diatribe:

Learn how to use the forum search function, a little research will answer most of your questions. Try this link: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=google

Nobody cares what your trip itinerary is, we don’t need to know when the ferry leaves or when you get back to boat. Why don’t you tell us what times you will be going to the bathroom and post your SSN while you’re at it. Anyone who’s reasonably savvy can figure out who you are and where you live. They also now know exactly when to rob your house while you’re gone. Use some common sense man, if you could ever regret it, don’t post it on the net. Just ask any of my old girlfriends how they feel about the pictures I swore were “just for me.”

If you take a lifeproof out in solid surf, say good bye to that new iPhone. Don’t get me wrong, I keep mine in one and have even surfed with it on mushy small days, but if you read some unbiased reviews, you’ll find the cases fail from just being opened and closed repeatedly. I rebuild waterlogged iPhones for fun and haven’t paid for a cell phone in years. Here’s a good rule of thumb, “Never take anything to the beach that you ever want to see again. There’s a good chance you won’t.” Take some cash in a zippy, throw that in your board shorts and give somebody some ducats to use their phone.

“I rather not surf at a place that is more than a 5min paddle out bc I'm not familiar with it and ive been surfing beach breaks(NY AND NJ) only for years now and rather do it when I'm older and on a real surfing trip instead of a short vacation on a cruise. “

5 minutes, I take longer craps! If you can’t make a 5 minute paddle out or lack confidence in your ability, you probably shouldn’t be surfing breaks that you’ve never been to all by yourself. You should be able to swim a mile in open ocean, no problem. The first rule of surfing is “don’t surf alone.” Neither of your parents surf, huh? My biggest pet peeve is parents who support their kids surfing “hobby” and don’t know a damn thing about how serious this “sport” is. I can’t count how many times I’ve seen groms freaking out in surf they never should have been in because their parents are chilling in a lawn chair on the beach and don’t know any better. Then someone like me has to talk them down off the roof and get them back to shore. It ain’t the kids’ faults, they don’t know any better.

Surfing isn’t a game. It’s not a hobby either. People die surfing, people who are amazing surfers, who live in the water, who surf waves taller than buildings and practically have gills.

You need to read this thread:
    NOYA

Also, you desperately need this: The Elements of Style

Watch this too:
    A Fun day at Ehukai with some welcoming locals

This may all sound like I’m a big jerk (which I am), but seriously, I’m trying to do you a favor here.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jan 5, 2013 at 04:53 AM.