LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Images

Duck Dive Troubles

Does an one have tips for duck diving deeper? I'm only 5'2 and 95 lbs. and it seems every time I duck dive instead of going under the wave I just get pushed back 20 ft.

how big is ur board? i dont think 95 pounds is sinking much of anything haha. 1. paddle hard 2. push the nose under 3. push back foot but really try being heavy on the back foot

Images
    Its 5'9 x 18 5/8 x 2

i had that problem for a long time, finally it clicked after ten years of going just a few inches under and being pushed back. (i'm 5'8 120 ride a 6') I practically do a handstand over the front of the board while kicking my back foot up way over my head, wing it way up there...way more than seems appropriate. you'll need all your 90 something pounds directed over the nose to sink it enough. i think being smaller things need to be more exaggerated. when you're under as far as it will go pull it in towards your chest hard with your hands while kicking the tail down and that'll scoop you in a long arc. hope that helps.

A smaller board would make it a lot easier but perhaps you will grow into this board

Get into the dive a little earlier then you normally do, and come up swinging.

Momentum, you need lots of it going into a duckdive if you want to come out the other end with any forward prorgress. Paddle really hard up until you get about 3-5 feet from the face, grip the rails of the nose, push down as hard as you can like doing a handstand / push up, time it so that you are fully under water before you get crushed by the whitewater. Foot on the bottom with some push from your leg as the wave is mowing you down will propel you out the back of the wave. If you start getting dragged back just start paddling ASAP without losing your board. Lastly, eat something and get some weight to push that board down better HAHA

Images
    OK thanks for all the help

My approach requires a little more finesse and a lot less muscle mass.

Here’s me on my 9’6” Malibu with 120 cubic ft of volume. There’s an approaching wave.
    Danger Will Robinson.jpg

I push one side of the board down first, doesn’t matter which side, so I slice into the water like a knife:
    Push Down with First Hand.jpg

Now the front and one side of the board is under water. Here’s how this kind of looks:
    Axii.jpg

Once I have the nose under like this, I push down with the other hand and my foot or feet at the same time, this levels the board out. You want the board to be deep, but level under the wave. This takes some effort depending on the size of your board, but a lot less effort than just trying to muscle it under. This is all one movement too, it should be seemless.

The Act.jpg

Continue pushing down once the wave has begun to go past you and gently rise out the other side.

The nice thing about this, it works whether I have 0 momentum and am sitting in the lineup or paddling back out into it with plenty of speed; long board, short board, not a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    My approach requires a little more finesse and a lot less muscle mass.

Here’s me on my 9’6” Malibu with 120 cubic ft of volume. There’s an approaching wave.
    Danger Will Robinson.jpg

I push one side of the board down first, doesn’t matter which side, so I slice into the water like a knife:
    Push Down with First Hand.jpg

Now the front and one side of the board is under water. Here’s how this kind of looks:
    Axii.jpg

Once I have the nose under like this, I push down with the other hand and my foot or feet at the same time, this levels the board out. You want the board to be deep, but level under the wave. This takes some effort depending on the size of your board, but a lot less effort than just trying to muscle it under. This is all one movement too, it should be seemless.

The Act.jpg

Continue pushing down once the wave has begun to go past you and gently rise out the other side.

The nice thing about this, it works whether I have 0 momentum and am sitting in the lineup or paddling back out into it with plenty of speed; long board, short board, not a problem.
    Never seen it done lie that. Interesting.