LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    Never seen it done lie that. Interesting.
    It works for me and I think that's key to surfing, do what works for you.

If I'm on a short board, I'll just shove it straight down with my arms and then follow it up with a knee; works if you have the size and muscle. I figured if I posted what works for me on boards with a lot of volume compared to my size, it would help the original poster.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I push one side of the board down first, doesn’t matter which side, so I slice into the water like a knife:
    Do you shuffle your body farther forward on the board just before you push one side down? Grab the rails farther forward? Or do you rise up from the paddling position?

I've seen this technique done rather smoothly in online videos but when I do it on my 9'2 x 22 x 3 entering whitewater I usually end up dunking the nose and lifting the tail into the oncoming foam. It sort-of works but I feel as though I never have enough leverage in my back foot to push the tail under. Doing this into the wave face is no problem.

I gotta hear more about your technique because during the Dog Days on the East Coast this log is frequently the only board that works, although I am scheming for a Mini Simmons-esque board this year. Not sure of the volume of the 9'2 but I'm 5'10 @170 so I should be able to force something better to happen.

Hey so I have had alot of problems trying to duck dive too in the past as I am 5'2" 116 lbs and honestly try a thinner board. I have a 5'11" thats 18 3/8 and I can get it under pretty easily. People forget volume (thickness) of the board can impact how it handles more so than the length. Good Luck, hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by viajerodevida View Post
    Do you shuffle your body farther forward on the board just before you push one side down? Grab the rails farther forward? Or do you rise up from the paddling position?

I've seen this technique done rather smoothly in online videos but when I do it on my 9'2 x 22 x 3 entering whitewater I usually end up dunking the nose and lifting the tail into the oncoming foam. It sort-of works but I feel as though I never have enough leverage in my back foot to push the tail under. Doing this into the wave face is no problem.

I gotta hear more about your technique because during the Dog Days on the East Coast this log is frequently the only board that works, although I am scheming for a Mini Simmons-esque board this year. Not sure of the volume of the 9'2 but I'm 5'10 @170 so I should be able to force something better to happen.
    I want to say that I often rise up from the prone paddling position for extra leverage. Not always though. You know the more I post how-to articles, the more I realize how to difficult it is to put this kind of stuff into words. How do you write about something that all takes less than second and that you do without even consciously thinking about it?

When I duck dive a long board or any other high volume board, to me it almost seems like I am drawing a J or the silhouette of a fishing hook with the nose of my board. It’s almost a scooping motion after you knife the one side under. I hope that doesn't make the confusion worse.

Keep practicing man.

I think stay salty had it right. Push the nose down and lift a leg way up while hooking the other foot on the trac pad. Do it right before the wave comes, otherwise you float back up just when the wave hits you and get pushed back, which is exactly what you were trying to avoid.

You know the more I post how-to articles, the more I realize how to difficult it is to put this kind of stuff into words.
    Yeah, but the more often you think about it and respond the better you become at communicating it. Hopefully.

When I duck dive a long board or any other high volume board, to me it almost seems like I am drawing a J or the silhouette of a fishing hook with the nose of my board. It’s almost a scooping motion after you knife the one side under. I hope that doesn't make the confusion worse.
    That makes sense. You dip one side of the board, thrusting it downward and forward-ish at an angle, and as you bring your chest to the board under the water, you pull upwards (like raising your hands above your shoulders) and rise up completing the J.

I know what that feels like for shorter boards and have no issues there, but haven't felt it yet on the 9'2. I know nothing works better than time in the water, but I was sort of expecting you to tell me how that should feel for me on my longboard, and what I'm doing wrong. I feel a little let down.
    Last edited by viajerodevida; Jan 8, 2013 at 02:12 AM.

Images
    My approach requires a little more finesse and a lot less muscle mass.

Here’s me on my 9’6” Malibu with 120 cubic ft of volume. There’s an approaching wave.
    Attachment 6714

I push one side of the board down first, doesn’t matter which side, so I slice into the water like a knife:
    Attachment 6715

Now the front and one side of the board is under water. Here’s how this kind of looks:
    Attachment 6716

Once I have the nose under like this, I push down with the other hand and my foot or feet at the same time, this levels the board out. You want the board to be deep, but level under the wave. This takes some effort depending on the size of your board, but a lot less effort than just trying to muscle it under. This is all one movement too, it should be seemless.

Attachment 6717

Continue pushing down once the wave has begun to go past you and gently rise out the other side.

The nice thing about this, it works whether I have 0 momentum and am sitting in the lineup or paddling back out into it with plenty of speed; long board, short board, not a problem.
    That's some quality effort going into the explanation. I like your style.

I do the same thing with my longboard but I find it takes a lot more upper body strength. Maybe I need to move further up the board. I only do this when the waves are above waste high too.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    That's some quality effort going into the explanation. I like your style.

I do the same thing with my longboard but I find it takes a lot more upper body strength. Maybe I need to move further up the board. I only do this when the waves are above waste high too.
    Thanks man, if it helps a couple of these kids nail their DDs on their potato chips, it'll be worth it. Same basic principle, only applied to a smaller board. Always funny to watch boards and people go flyin through the wash. Until they nail you with a fin.

Hey, you should put some new pics of that wood board build thread and give us some updates. Inquiring minds want to know, how'd the glassing go?

Here's an eye opening video of a guy go-proing his longboard duckdive. I was pretty impressed. Not as easy as it looks but he is right, it's technique. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKfUQ_AsrO4

You gotta love those Go-Pros. Awesome.

Images
    Thanks man, if it helps a couple of these kids nail their DDs on their potato chips, it'll be worth it. Same basic principle, only applied to a smaller board. Always funny to watch boards and people go flyin through the wash. Until they nail you with a fin.

Hey, you should put some new pics of that wood board build thread and give us some updates. Inquiring minds want to know, how'd the glassing go?
    Gimme a little longer, I've been in NY since nov 16 helping with hurricane sandy recovery. GOING HOME NEXT MONDAY!!!! Really pumped to get back home with the family.