LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    http://www.wavehousesandiego.com/flowbarrel

Pay for waves right on the beach, 50 yards from actual surf, in Mission Beach, CA. Their beer selection sucks too. To each their own I suppose. Never has looked as good as the real thing to me, so I’ve never tried it.

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    http://www.wavehousesandiego.com/flowbarrel

Pay for waves right on the beach, 50 yards from actual surf, in Mission Beach, CA. Their beer selection sucks too. To each their own I suppose. Never has looked as good as the real thing to me, so Iíve never tried it.

A fool and his money are soon parted.
    Ok, everyone is ragging on pool surfing but when was the last time they looked at their actual wave count. The flowriders are just lame and arent like surfing at all, thus, they arent worth the money. The last I spoke with the owner of Skyventure surf pool, she mentioned they have the option for a 6ft standing barrell that you can use your actual board (unlike flowrider which is similar to a skim board). She mentioned she will be charging 40 per 30min session. I would gladly pay $40 in the middle of winter to score warm barrells without having to go through all the effort of a surf trip. Prime example is, most sessions your wave count is low, most of the time your waiting, paddling, battling. It will never replace actual surfing but will i buy a session....damn right

Images
    people spend insane amounts of money to ride down hills on skis and snowboards. whats the difference?

How can anyone even be remotely 'OK' with this. Yes maybe the concept of getting a perfectly set up tube ride in warm water is appetizing...but its man made! The most amazing experience that embodies surfing is that it is a small natural phenomenon that the ocean creates and we as humans manipulate. Finding that perfect wave is easy when you can pay for it, but actually seeking and finding a perfect wave with the right tide, offshore wind ect.. and SCORING it where your ride sinks up with a natural oceanic wave. Thats bliss. There is nothing better.

The unpredictability the ocean throws at you will make you a better surfer then going to a figgen them park to pay for a wave in Missouri (Insert non-coastal town)

This could potentially ruin the sport we love.

Quote Originally Posted by S2Kreative View Post
    people spend insane amounts of money to ride down hills on skis and snowboards. whats the difference?
    Surfing has soul. That's the difference. Why else would people value putting the first tracks into fresh powder or snowboarding back country so much? By removing yourself from the ocean and instead standing in line and paying for the same wave over and over again, I think you're missing out. Is surfing just about wave counts and "scoring" perfect waves? I've never ridden the same wave twice. Never will.

You know why Christian Missionaries burnt Hawaiians' surfboards? The Hawaiians kept them in special parts of the house and revered them as sacred objects. The missionaries thought that was idolatrous.

They were probably onto something. When was the last time you fell in love with a pair of skis or thought that they were "magic"?
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jan 8, 2013 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tkelley View Post
    This could potentially ruin the sport we love.
    As long as there are waves in the ocean and people who ride them, surfing will be ok.

One more thing, no matter how much they spend on land scaping, it can never be as pretty as this:
    Reef_01082013.jpg

Dang I wish there was a "like" button... Preach tha gosple Graffer!! Well put!

This is nothing new. I read about this years ago. I like the idea. But how expensive is it and who is going to fund the these things?

That is NOT surfing. Just like being on the Queen Mary is not sailing. They should call it Water Riding . It's totally not surfing and I bet Slater knows it.