Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 110 of 135
  1. #101
    And where do those stats come from? How does it cost $45k to throw a guy over a fence?


    Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    I'm not disputing that illegals are an issue and that our immigration policy needs to be fixed. I am disputing what you tout as stats from a PBS show. How big of a problem is this really? I don't know, but there are millions of cases of people losing jobs every year in this country. Some are due to illegals, some are due to technological advancements, some are new products, some due to relocation of manufacturing, some due to other factors. Should we make technological advancement illegal because it costs people jobs and puts them on welfare?

    How much do you think it will cost to deport every illegal? We spent $18B last year to remove some 400K illegals - that works out to $45K/illegal deported. Estimates seem to range from 7-20M illegals. Extrapolate that $45K and you're looking at $315-900B. Personally, I just don't think that's economically feasible in the current economy. I don't agree with providing services people who exploit the system, but there are plenty of US citizens that fall into that category as well as illegal immigrants.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Gtown TEXAS BABY!
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Careful Liam, someone will pull out the racist moniker to stifle your right of free expression.
    Geez last I left this thread it was 7 pgs. Lol damn I gotta get caught up! Now we got racism!?

  3. #103
    First and foremost, good on the guy for climbing the coaster. Jersey and NY need help, and anything which keeps the cameras rolling up there is right to me.

    You guys should really chill on the politics, it’s a total waste of energy. I mean, really? You’re swallowing that pill still? That’s what the pigs in power want, for us to bicker over what side is right as they stuff their pockets with our money. No side is right. They are both wrong. Way wrong. Why? Look at their paycheck, and then look at yours. Then look up the definition of the word “complacent.”

    The country is so ****ed up because most of the people in it live beyond their means, so if you want to blame somebody, blame your neighbor who has racked up $150,000 worth of debt that they’ll never pay, yet still drives a 5 series BMW. Status trumps sanity these days.

    The rich are getting richer and the poor are getting poorer, that’s the reality, and it’s sad. Been that way for the past decade, I know, I’ve been living hand-to-mouth the whole time. Until people wise up and lead a more salubrious and simple life, it’s not going to change. No matter how much a politician talks about change, the bottom line is that they do not have that power, only we, the people do. Unless we change, unless people focus more on hard work, healthy living, and minimizing this malignant materialism, we’re going to keep getting fatter, dumber, and deeper in debt. Until we change, this downward spiral is going to keep spinning. Wake up. Simplify.

  4. #104

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,062
    Images
    5
    Wake up. Simplify
    I like this! I am so into the tiny house movement, I drive my wife crazy dreaming of selling everything, building a tiny house, raising my chickens and just being free from all the stuff. I would rather be poor and free than live like a rich man and be a slave to debt. Life is soo short, the older you get the faster life moves and before you know it you are gone. Forget about collecting things and collect experiences(not that I quite live up to that ideal ). That said I still respect anyone who wants to go out make a million dollars and build a mansion. If that's what makes you happy go for it, it's just not for me.
    Last edited by Zippy; Jan 12, 2013 at 03:44 AM.

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by zrich View Post
    I'm not disputing that illegals are an issue and that our immigration policy needs to be fixed. I am disputing what you tout as stats from a PBS show. How big of a problem is this really? I don't know, but there are millions of cases of people losing jobs every year in this country. Some are due to illegals, some are due to technological advancements, some are new products, some due to relocation of manufacturing, some due to other factors. Should we make technological advancement illegal because it costs people jobs and puts them on welfare?

    How much do you think it will cost to deport every illegal? We spent $18B last year to remove some 400K illegals - that works out to $45K/illegal deported. Estimates seem to range from 7-20M illegals. Extrapolate that $45K and you're looking at $315-900B. Personally, I just don't think that's economically feasible in the current economy. I don't agree with providing services people who exploit the system, but there are plenty of US citizens that fall into that category as well as illegal immigrants.
    The funny thing about your statement is that you are comparing citizens with illegals when it comes to abusing the system. No one should abuse the system but illegals abusing it is far worse. They break the law every day they are here and broke the law when they came here. The word "illegal" is the giveaway. Why should I follow laws because our country is telling me they don't do anything about other people breaking it. Some of these illegals are also major criminals (rapist, drug cartel, etc.). We don't know anything about these people. National Security alone should tell us to deport them.

  7. #107
    Wow, Swellinfo turned into a combination of CNN, and Fox News. I heard guys talking politics in the lineup yesterday. This is fantastic......or not.

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by jtblue18 View Post
    Wow, Swellinfo turned into a combination of CNN, and Fox News. I heard guys talking politics in the lineup yesterday. This is fantastic......or not.
    LOL. Good point. I'll quit talking and I never talk about politics in the lineup. Surfing washes away all the bull**** and you're just in that moment.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lewes, DE
    Posts
    5,386
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by barrels4liam View Post
    LOL. Good point. I'll quit talking and I never talk about politics in the lineup. Surfing washes away all the bull**** and you're just in that moment.
    At one point, I wanted to make a rule of no political talk on the forum, so that, like you say, surfing can remain that escape from all the other BS in the world. But, every attempt I have made to try to curb the political debates never worked... Apparently, even on a surfing forum, this is what everyone wants to talk about. I did ban political ads, served by third parties (not Swellinfo chosen), which pay good money because people got so upset over them.

    This thread topic, however, definitely got side tracked from the original topic, which was the guy who climbed the roller coaster.
    Last edited by Swellinfo; Jan 12, 2013 at 04:09 PM.

  10. #110
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I like this! I am so into the tiny house movement, I drive my wife crazy dreaming of selling everything, building a tiny house, raising my chickens and just being free from all the stuff. I would rather be poor and free than live like a rich man and be a slave to debt. Life is soo short, the older you get the faster life moves and before you know it you are gone. Forget about collecting things and collect experiences(not that I quite live up to that ideal ). That said I still respect anyone who wants to go out make a million dollars and build a mansion. If that's what makes you happy go for it, it's just not for me.
    Agree 100%...We are so brainwashed in this country into thinking that materialistic items and how many of them defines your worth. Such bull$h*t...if surfing has taught me one thing, it's that experiences are worth more than any material item. And the knowledge to know that is worth more than it's weight in gold.

    "Donít gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver or gold." -Bob Marley