LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 61
  1. #11
    nj42, I'm not sure but I overheard one of the FCS guys say eventually they will bring the signature fins into the line with the screwless base. In the meantime, the old FCS fins work fine in the new box.

    LB, footprint is a little bit longer than the fusions and a little bit narrower than the fusions. More of a peanut shape then an 8 shape. The PU core looked actually more high density and nicer than the fusion core. As for the roller, it also looks very high density and unlikely to wear out before the board does. Like I said, those fins probably went in-out several thousand times during the trade show and they were still solid.

    Hope you guys got in the water today. It was actually really fun mid-day waist+ and clean with NOBODY out where I was in southern Monmouth.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara, CA/CT
    Posts
    337
    Quote Originally Posted by sweller View Post
    FCS has the best fins out there. Fins have come a long ways. They know what they are doing!
    probly the most custy thing ive heard. fcs is expensive and out old news. true ames and kinetic fins.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by shorepoints View Post
    nj42, I'm not sure but I overheard one of the FCS guys say eventually they will bring the signature fins into the line with the screwless base. In the meantime, the old FCS fins work fine in the new box.
    i guess, in the end, i'm not convinced of the practicality or the need for something like this. screwless systems have always had major, presumably unforeseen, flaws in the past. i'm not convinced that fcs moving screwless fills a genuine need, only a marketing one.

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i guess, in the end, i'm not convinced of the practicality or the need for something like this. screwless systems have always had major, presumably unforeseen, flaws in the past. i'm not convinced that fcs moving screwless fills a genuine need, only a marketing one.
    I can't argue with you on that. I said the same thing to my FCS buddy (never really saw a need, was fine w/screws) and he said, "It's one of those things you don't think you need/want until you have it." Perhaps. Another thing, though, is that the connection really does seem more solid than the old Fusion/Plug connection. Less flex at the base. Tabs are twice as long as the old ones. So there really isn't much of a downside considering you can always use the grub screws.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern New England
    Posts
    513
    Glassed on. And you know what else, tighty whities and foam shaving cream.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    in the grace of the most holy FSM
    Posts
    3,080
    Quote Originally Posted by shorepoints View Post
    I can't argue with you on that. I said the same thing to my FCS buddy (never really saw a need, was fine w/screws) and he said, "It's one of those things you don't think you need/want until you have it." Perhaps. Another thing, though, is that the connection really does seem more solid than the old Fusion/Plug connection. Less flex at the base. Tabs are twice as long as the old ones. So there really isn't much of a downside considering you can always use the grub screws.
    couldn't they just redesign the tabs then? seems like overkill IMO

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stayin' Classy in San Diego
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Manisses View Post
    Glassed on. And you know what else, tighty whities and foam shaving cream.
    Glassed on is where it's at. People talk about changing out a set of fins and feeling a huge difference, too me it's always seemed very minimal except in regards to the size of the fins (I need big template fins on anything head high or above, that's when I start feel some slip down the wave). Any decent material other than plastic seems to work fine in fcs for me, however, none of them hold a candle to my boards with glassed on fins. Just my 50 rupees. Funny, it seemed like for a couple of years there, you couldn't find a new board with glassed on fins to save your life.

    That all being said, the one thing that I've always worried about with my FCS fin systems is stripping out the screw hole threads. Even if you re-tap it, how do you find one of them little hex screws to fit the new hole diameter? Always makes me xtra nervous and careful. Nothin worse than havin to tap a stripped thread, never seems quite right afterwards to me. Luckily I've never encountered that beast in the wild. I can see how a screw-loose, I mean screw-less system could be nice. Two less worries, don't have to figure out where a bloody hex key is and don't have to worry about buggerin up the screw hole.

    That's the second time I've gotten to say that today.

    Commando, easiest way to change in and out under a towel.

    All the hair on my body has been permanently removed by sharks with lasers in their heads to decrease drag and aid in the application and removal of neoprene.

    I'm a sucker for new tech, I'm sure once I see 'em, I'll want to give it a try.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jan 15, 2013 at 04:26 AM.

  8. #18
    Looks great but the single most flaw about the new systems... Fixing them. You can get an FCS plug fixed anywhere in the world with very little time and money. Now replacing fusion, FCS 2, futures, Lockbox ect... That's a little harder. One plug is easy as pie to drill out and replace. That's why I like the FCS plug system.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Crystal Coast,N.C.
    Posts
    399
    Images
    24
    I'm more interested in the Origin system than anything else. In the video for the for the FCSII system you have to bang the back of the fin to remove it. A poor glass job or shabby box install and your gonna have problems if you like to change fins out much like myself.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northern New England
    Posts
    513
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Glassed on is where it's at. People talk about changing out a set of fins and feeling a huge difference, too me it's always seemed very minimal except in regards to the size of the fins (I need big template fins on anything head high or above, that's when I start feel some slip down the wave). Any decent material other than plastic seems to work fine in fcs for me, however, none of them hold a candle to my boards with glassed on fins. Just my 50 rupees. Funny, it seemed like for a couple of years there, you couldn't find a new board with glassed on fins to save your life.

    That all being said, the one thing that I've always worried about with my FCS fin systems is stripping out the screw hole threads. Even if you re-tap it, how do you find one of them little hex screws to fit the new hole diameter? Always makes me xtra nervous and careful. Nothin worse than havin to tap a stripped thread, never seems quite right afterwards to me. Luckily I've never encountered that beast in the wild. I can see how a screw-loose, I mean screw-less system could be nice. Two less worries, don't have to figure out where a bloody hex key is and don't have to worry about buggerin up the screw hole.

    That's the second time I've gotten to say that today.

    Commando, easiest way to change in and out under a towel.

    All the hair on my body has been permanently removed by sharks with lasers in their heads to decrease drag and aid in the application and removal of neoprene.

    I'm a sucker for new tech, I'm sure once I see 'em, I'll want to give it a try.
    Hard to get around the ease of use for travel, too. But dang - for my 'homer' I'd take glassed.