LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    i tried this in kauai.
    it sucks.

Here is a short review.

Condition: Of the tail end of a NW swell. The Bowl, Hanalei Bay.
    Wave Height:5-6 feet, occasional overhead set.

FCS rep told me they made this system with 2 goals in mind:

1) To reduce the amount of time it takes people to screw their fins in.
    2) To simplify the fin "buying" process.

Essentially, FCS is now going to offer "4" varieties of these fins: carver, acceleration, stability, and something else. You buy the fin that fins in that range.

I tried the carver variety and it sucked. I like a particular fin, with a particular material, and with this system, that goes out of the way. I primarily surf on the R-2, MF-1, PG-7C, or G-AM. All are stiffer with a larger base. The rake vary.

This system throws fins for fins that fit in the four categories above. So its not like a can pick a stability fin made of carbon right now. Also, no compatibility between both systems.

anyway, YEA, its easy to pop the fins in. But how freaking long does it take to screw fins in anyway? its not like I am saving one hour.

The fin is pretty solid in the slot. But what happens if I hit reef? The fin will pop out, plain and simple.

Also, on anything bigger, the fin does move a bit. That made me nervous. I will stick to my screw fins for now, as most local people hated it.

I like the overall construction of the new Boxes better, so I would like to have the new screwless box, but I prefer my fins. Its already hard enough to decipher if buying a template will will overlap with a template I already have.For me here on the right coast my K2-1 five fin set, and a larger Thruster set of flat sided fins is all i need.

I can't wait for the magnetic fin system

hhmm... well I like it! we will see if its that much better than the old screwless ones

what if we are all talkin trash about these fins and they actually work really really good. lol Don't the pros surf with them before they actually come out?

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Even if you re-tap it, how do you find one of them little hex screws to fit the new hole diameter? Always makes me xtra nervous and careful. Nothin worse than havin to tap a stripped thread, never seems quite right afterwards to me.
    There should be a McMaster Carr close to you. I use similar hex "slugs" whenever I have a leaky freeze or galley plug on my Landcruiser. They have any size you want and the best taps I have ever found... of course you could use a low budget Horrible Fright tap set on plastic with no worries. But I prefer to use the best when it comes to an engine block.

Actually, you can pretty much find anything you will ever need at McMaster Carr...

I saw this system yesterday and I am impressed.. it is fully compatible with all other fcs style tab fins (using grub screws like you would normally) plus the new fins have a longer tab system which will give better rigidity (imo) and yeah there's only 4 types of fin to start with but they are the most common shapes/sizes.. and they'd be silly not to add to the range.. there were a few questions I raised to do with the installation and I'm pretty satisfied the system is a good one...

Waaaah Waaaah only 4 types of fins. You nerds that think you can tell the difference between a fin made of carbon fiber bee's wax nut skin and recycled aluminum tire tread are fashion victims to the goddamn placebo effect. I.E. there's no difference, it's a ****ing fin.

Go put you Mick Fanning signatures on, I'm sure that's why he pulls the hits he does at snapper, yeah it's the fin. Meanwhile stick to flailing down the line, hoping to connect two turns before collapsing into cardiac arrest like the rest of us.

Quote Originally Posted by SkegLegs View Post
    Waaaah Waaaah only 4 types of fins. You nerds that think you can tell the difference between a fin made of carbon fiber bee's wax nut skin and recycled aluminum tire tread are fashion victims to the goddamn placebo effect. I.E. there's no difference, it's a ****ing fin.

Go put you Mick Fanning signatures on, I'm sure that's why he pulls the hits he does at snapper, yeah it's the fin. Meanwhile stick to flailing down the line, hoping to connect two turns before collapsing into cardiac arrest like the rest of us.
    just b/c YOU can't tell the difference between fin templates, foils, & materials doesn't mean no one else can.