LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    ...the idea that anyone could tell the difference between a glass flex M5 and a performance core M5 just by surfing "blind" does raise some questions for sure you'd have to be on the same board all day on perfect waves (imo) to notice the swap and only if you are a pro surfer.
    I can't agree with you on that one, brother. Materials, construction, and design (template, foil, etc...) all play a significant role in fin performance. I'm no pro, that's for sure... but I can certainly tell the difference between glass flex and PC. In fact, at one point I was so convinced that one out performed the other that I spent a nice chunk of change switching over. For most shortboards, PCs are my choice of construction.

just realized they changed the link, updated the link at top of the post.

i've finally got myself simplified & dialed in on the fin front...i really just want them to keep making the fusions plug. as stated previously, i just don't see the need for a screwless system. i like the fins i have now...the company i get my fins from has far superior quality control & customer service than FCS ever has & i don't want to have to start form scratch & figure it all out again.

What fins do you use? Company, not specific type

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    i've finally got myself simplified & dialed in on the fin front...i really just want them to keep making the fusions plug. as stated previously, i just don't see the need for a screwless system. i like the fins i have now...the company i get my fins from has far superior quality control & customer service than FCS ever has & i don't want to have to start form scratch & figure it all out again.

^^ yeah, what other brand fins are you talking about? Why would you keep that a secret? I do agree, though, QC on FCS PC fins are sketchy at best

I have a set GF M-5 and PC-5 in front of me right now. Main difference is the weight...PC-5 are only 8 grams (.3 ounce) less than the M-5, which is really nothing. They both have a practically identical flex. Not worth the $50 price difference...unless you're a weight weenie or got money to burn

as far as fusion plugs, they need work. The holes being stretched longer for fin position adjustment is a good idea on paper, but doesn't actually work very well. First, the amount of possible adjustment is so minimal, it's not going to change the way the board surfs. The other thing is, once the screws dig into the tab the first time, that's where the screw is going to want to end up every time...so, when I try to move the fin, it just migrates back to the same position. When I can force it, I either end up with one fin slightly farther forward than the other...or just just say eff it and let the screw dig in the same old rut.
    Last edited by waterbaby; May 22, 2013 at 10:40 PM.

i wasn't trying to keep it secret. i've discussed it at (semi) length on other threads; i didn't want to beat a dead horse. apologies.
    i use SOAR fins, a company out of australia. http://www.soarfin.com/. they're pricey, b/c you have to pay for shipping from down under, but given the quality & performance, i think it's worth it. specifically, i use the Classic LE8. it's a solid fiberglass construction, which is still the best feeling & performing material, IMO.

FWIW, the LE8 is what mick fanning used on his boards in '07 (the year he won his 1st world title) & as a template when he signed on w/ FCS & began developing his signature fin. there are no significant differences between the MF-1 from FCS & the SOAR LE8 in template, but the foil is more refined. & as a bigger (190lbs) & more powerful surfer, glass has the best available flex pattern for my surfing. glassflex (aka: plastic) is so soft as to be useless & the "pro-core" or RTM fins are only marginally better...the only exception being the MF-1, since it has the carbon fiber/kevlar matrix built into the fin panel.
    Last edited by njsurfer42; May 23, 2013 at 01:54 AM.

42... I agree with everything you said except I would put composite core fins high on the list, right between solid glass and pro-core. I ride the pro-core fins on most shortboards, because I'm ok with the flex/weight tradeoff over solid glass. I do like a wider base on those fins to help add some drive. Not willing to take the leap of faith to screwless... yet.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by redrum540 View Post
    Looks great but the single most flaw about the new systems... Fixing them. You can get an FCS plug fixed anywhere in the world with very little time and money. Now replacing fusion, FCS 2, futures, Lockbox ect... That's a little harder. One plug is easy as pie to drill out and replace. That's why I like the FCS plug system.
    or you could get a box that doesn't pop out as much as the plugs. Structurally, FCS plugs make absolutely no sense. I've had plenty of friends who've had their FCS plugs pop out while I've had no issue with lokbox or future. IMO, lokbox has one of the best boxes but I prefer future because there's more templates and they're easier to come by. If future made a box that was more of an elliptical shape like lokbox I wouldn't ride anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    42... I agree with everything you said except I would put composite core fins high on the list, right between solid glass and pro-core. I ride the pro-core fins on most shortboards, because I'm ok with the flex/weight tradeoff over solid glass. I do like a wider base on those fins to help add some drive. Not willing to take the leap of faith to screwless... yet.
    i thought i was ok w/ RTM fins as well, but the more i rode solid glass, the more convinced i became that there wasn't a comparison. i'll still use RTM fins as rears in quads, b/c a little more flex there isn't a bad thing, but the added response & drive that i've been getting out of my boards w/ all glass fins has been eye opening.
    i think it's possible that the large base you favor on your RTM fins may be compensating for the drive lost by the flexibility of the fins. you might find that you're ok w/ a smaller based, stiffer fin.
    just some thoughts...everyone has their own preferences & RTM fins clearly work for a lot of people...they work for me, too. i just like solid glass better.

FCS II Fin System in Detail

This video should put all those assumptions of the FCS II Fin System being bad, to rest for good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7kgShbtbw0