LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Which Carver Skateboard?

Hey guys,
    I've been doing some reading about the Carver skateboards and am pretty sure I'm going to pull the trigger and order one. I've been surfing for about a year and a half and I feel like I've hit a wall in my surfing. I'm hoping some repetitions with the board will help my pumping, turning and stuff, not to mention it just looks fun. Any recommendations as far as which model to get?

i have the same question excecpt i also must learn to Ollie. Not sure if the Venice model with its 36'' deck will be too big.

Get the Taylor Knox pro model.

If you want to ollie..... get a traditional freestyle skateboard

They are all good, just depends on how big or small you want it to be. The bigger boards are just for cruising but the Knox as Erock says is pretty amazing, really quick turns. I have the facetime, it's awesome. You'll love whichever one you end up getting.

Quote Originally Posted by 2MARG8 View Post
    They are all good, just depends on how big or small you want it to be. The bigger boards are just for cruising but the Knox as Erock says is pretty amazing, really quick turns. I have the facetime, it's awesome. You'll love whichever one you end up getting.
    Yep.

I forgot to elaborate about the ollie thing: The c7 front truck is heavy, like twice as heavy as a standard truck. Plus you want to ride it with some risers so you can really lay it on a rail without having serious wheel bite, so the geometry and weight is working against you for an ollie. The Ft. Knox comes standard with 3 risers, 1/4 inch each. I'm about to order four more to play around with raising the height a little more. It looks like Taylor has 4-5 risers on his in their videos.

I have a Resin 31 and a Facetime 38. I'll use the 38 for long workouts following my wife on her bike. The longer length is much closer to a natural surfing stance and really works out your legs more to pump it. However, if I want to have fun practicing hacks and cutbacks in an empty parking lot the 31 is quicker, more maneuverable, and a blast. So it kinda depends on what you want. That's not to say you can't do cutbacks and hacks on the 38 or vise versa. Those trucks are amazing and allow the turning mechanics of surfing almost perfectly. But generally I would say if you want a trainer for your legs, get a longer length to mimic your surfing stance. If you want to practice turns, snaps and cutbacks, get the shorter length. Or buy both like I did because they are so damn fun.

I have the 29" swallow and it is very much like surfing with pumping and turns. Where I live there are no sidewalks so I pump down the street and use driveways as the face of the wave to imitate snaps. You can slide out the tail to replicate it and it really helped with surfing especially since it gets flat for awhile at a time. You literally can pump uphill with this board if you had to, its pretty awesome.

i have the taylor knox & that thing has been a good send these past 2 months i had to spend out of the water w/ a neck injury (just got back in the water the other day, but that's another story)...i also have an old sector 9 longboard that i plan to retrofit w/ carver trucks to do like gallery said...up to the beach to check the surf, etc...the knox is more for going to a parking lot or something & practice turns & hacks & such...whatever you get, you'll definitely be stoked on it!

Cool. To start with, I really want to work on my pumping and smooth sweeping turns, I feel like those are the first things to improve and then move on to sharper turns, cutbacks and so forth. So ideally I'd like a board that excels in all those aspects. I was looking at the various 31" models (Fort Knox, Monsta and Resin). Wasn't really sure of the pros and cons of each of those. But I was also hoping the board would be long enough so that I could maintain the normal width of my surfing stance. I figured maintaining the same width would help the things learned on the street carry over easier to the water. What are your guys thoughts on that? I'm pretty tall, 6' 3", so I probably have a slightly wider stance than average because of the long legs. One of 31 inch boards might be long enough, hard to say, it would be close. It wouldn't be the end of the world to narrow my stance slightly, but I worry if it would have an adverse effect on my surfing? I was looking at the 34 inch Greenroom complete thinking maybe the longer board there would be better for someone taller like myself. Advice?

Edit: I should clarify I'm not interested in bombing hills or anything like that. Parking lots, roads, inclined driveways and stuff. I'm sure I'll have a blast with it but its mostly going to be a surfing crosstrainer for me. I want to take my surfing to the next level
    Last edited by GrantLee; Jan 18, 2013 at 03:02 PM.

Got the Monsta last summer and love it. Has definitely made a difference in my surfing, and have been at it for a long time. Don't know that you can really go wrong with any model.