LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantLee View Post
    Cool. To start with, I really want to work on my pumping and smooth sweeping turns, I feel like those are the first things to improve and then move on to sharper turns, cutbacks and so forth. So ideally I'd like a board that excels in all those aspects. I was looking at the various 31" models (Fort Knox, Monsta and Resin). Wasn't really sure of the pros and cons of each of those. But I was also hoping the board would be long enough so that I could maintain the normal width of my surfing stance. I figured maintaining the same width would help the things learned on the street carry over easier to the water. What are your guys thoughts on that? I'm pretty tall, 6' 3", so I probably have a slightly wider stance than average because of the long legs. One of 31 inch boards might be long enough, hard to say, it would be close. It wouldn't be the end of the world to narrow my stance slightly, but I worry if it would have an adverse effect on my surfing? I was looking at the 34 inch Greenroom complete thinking maybe the longer board there would be better for someone taller like myself. Advice?

Edit: I should clarify I'm not interested in bombing hills or anything like that. Parking lots, roads, inclined driveways and stuff. I'm sure I'll have a blast with it but its mostly going to be a surfing crosstrainer for me. I want to take my surfing to the next level
    What d'ya git and how'd you like it?

I'm in a similar situation, 6'2" 200# also looking for a shortboard crosstrainer. Looking at the Carver Monsta/Resin (seems to be same board, both 31" w 17" wheelbase), but think I might want a longer board because I'm a little taller so my stance is probably a little wider. The Carver Bitmap seems good, 35" board with a 17.5" wheelbase. Just a 1/2" longer wheelbase but maybe the toe kick nullifies the extra deck room. The Greenroom has an 18 7/8" wheelbase which I think is longer than I want for flat pumping and tighter carving turns.

Anyone have thoughts on Monsta/Resin vs Bitmap vs Greenroom?

Any 6'2" or taller riders on the Monsta/Resin? Thanks
    Last edited by bud; Mar 29, 2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: more thoughts

I'm 6'3 and i have the 31"resin and love it.

Quote Originally Posted by bud View Post
    What d'ya git and how'd you like it?

I'm in a similar situation, 6'2" 200# also looking for a shortboard crosstrainer. Looking at the Carver Monsta/Resin (seems to be same board, both 31" w 17" wheelbase), but think I might want a longer board because I'm a little taller so my stance is probably a little wider. The Carver Bitmap seems good, 35" board with a 17.5" wheelbase. Just a 1/2" longer wheelbase but maybe the toe kick nullifies the extra deck room. The Greenroom has an 18 7/8" wheelbase which I think is longer than I want for flat pumping and tighter carving turns.

Anyone have thoughts on Monsta/Resin vs Bitmap vs Greenroom?

Any 6'2" or taller riders on the Monsta/Resin? Thanks
    I am 6'1" or 6'2" depending on the day. I have the 34" green room model. I have one of the older models and you could pick between two wheel bases when I got mine. 17" or 18" something choice of wheel base. I'm not sure if they still have that option? So far I have had no issues with it, I can pump on the flats, handle small hills, and slide the rear wheels out on sharper turns. With my stance I don't think I would be able to go much shorter then 34" before my feet would be too close together then what I'm used too. I pretty much have my front foot over\just behind the front truck and my rear foot right where the kick starts on the tail. They are great boards and tons of fun you won't be disapointed any way you go. Personally I wouldn't worry about the size too much because the trucks are the expensive part. If you get one and then decide you want to go shorter or longer you already have the trucks and the risers so you can just swap out for a deck length of your liking.
    Hope this helps

Images
    I also have an older Greenroom model where you can switch the wheelbase, I prefer it on the shorter side. It's super fun all around. If you go with a smaller one with a shorter wheelbase you will have the advantage of a tighter turn radius and quicker pumps but you will lose some stability and might have to adjust your stance compared to how you surf. You don't want to have your front foot past the bolts on the front truck, you won't get the surf feel out of it that way, so you can judge that as a way to see what size to get.

I'm sure you'll have a blast on whichever one you grab, though. They are super fun.

I am 6'2 and fluctuate between 185-200lbs. I got da monsta and it's sick!!!!

Don't worry about stance and all that crap, don't over think it, it's not so scientific, just get a board and rip it. They are so much fun, just get one and adjust to the board.

Ended up getting the Resin. Love it!!!

Just got the Knox board. Love it. Erock I know you got that one. Rode it for about two hours last night after the night session and could feel a difference on my first ride this morning. Cut a frontside back up the wave with speed I've not had yet. Was working frontsides on the Carver last night since my backsides are better and the first drop of the day I pulled my best front ever. Really looking forward to this Carver being lots of fun during the flat and also helping my surfing greatly.