LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

To Shoot or not to shoot

Saw the footage of the New Zealanders shooting at the shark that killed the film industry guy. I might be alone on this one, but I didn't think it right to shoot the shark. With their numbers diminishing, as well as their food supply, I'd say the happenings of attacks are more the fault of humans than sharks, who I would wager would rather be eating a blubbery seal. Its not a malicious attack, its just the nature of the 'man in the white pajamas'. When we enter the water, we're no longer atop the food chain.

Images
    I'm with ya dude, don't shoot. I'm in an overly misanthropic mood at the moment, but I'd answer the same way regardless.

i agree with the both of you, People need to understand that they are stepping into the sharks environment and must deal with the consquences. Not saying the death isnt a shame but it happens. The sharks should be safe from humans they are in their natural habitat and its sad that the lack of food is not the only thing that is diminsihing their numbers

I also disagree with the shooting!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by suzyq View Post
    its sad that the lack of food is not the only thing that is diminsihing their numbers
    Goddamn China and their shark fin soup and their fur factories.

I realize it's not just China.

Sharkwater

Couldn't agree more. Watch the movie "Sharkwater" by Rob Stewart, it will completely change your view of sharks just like it did for me. They are one of the coolest creatures on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Manisses View Post
    Saw the footage of the New Zealanders shooting at the shark that killed the film industry guy. I might be alone on this one, but I didn't think it right to shoot the shark. With their numbers diminishing, as well as their food supply, I'd say the happenings of attacks are more the fault of humans than sharks, who I would wager would rather be eating a blubbery seal. Its not a malicious attack, its just the nature of the 'man in the white pajamas'. When we enter the water, we're no longer atop the food chain.
    there is a near zero chance of killing a shark that's in the water with a gun unless you have a mini gun or some other weapon of destruction. A shot gun won't do it, unless you're firing slugs with the barrell right on it.

I've heard stories of people shooting into the water to scare sharks off...

I also think we don't have the first clue what motivates a shark to attack a human. I hear all the time that its mistaken identidy... Maybe but Im pretty sure that the bottom line is hunger and not bad eyesight. If a shark is hungry enough it will eat whatever it thinks might be food.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    there is a near zero chance of killing a shark that's in the water with a gun unless you have a mini gun or some other weapon of destruction.
    I'd need to see some ballistics info before I accepted that...Idk, I'd imagine that a 7.62, 30-06, 308, anything in the 30 cal. range would do some damage, and if it is just damage, leaving something wouded is even worse. I know Inuit populations shoot narwhals(not sure if misspelled) and sometimes kill them.

well, water is 700 to 800 times denser than air... either 700 or 800, not a varying amount mind you...
    so, when the bullet hits the water its losing an enormous amount of energy. I guess if they have the shark hooked and its right at the surface the chances are much better... but a large shark swimming 3 feet below the water... I'd say the bullets are probably just barely making an impact and would leave little injury on the body. Perhaps we should submit this to myth busters for testing... but there is no myth of sharks being killed by people shooting guns at them while they are swimming by...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    I'd need to see some ballistics info before I accepted that...Idk, I'd imagine that a 7.62, 30-06, 308, anything in the 30 cal. range would do some damage, and if it is just damage, leaving something wouded is even worse. I know Inuit populations shoot narwhals(not sure if misspelled) and sometimes kill them.
    bullets slow down a lot and change trajectory once they hit the water. so a kill shot is only possible for a few feet. maybe 10ft max depending on how powerful the round is