LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    The Blair witch thing was in a small town out in western maryland. She actually WAS found and brought to justice. I think it was by a brother and sister team. I can't remember accurately now, but I think the brother's name was Hansel. I also believe there is a documentary out in the theaters now about the two "witch" hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Mermaid. Just goes to show you, you can put anything into documentary format. Didn't that whole Blair Witch thing happen up in the North East. Whatever happened to those kids? Did they ever catch the witch? The Discovery channel is getting worse than the History Channel.

Two words: Amish Mafia

The suspension of disbelief gets easier for our society every year. I blame librarians.

Images
    Good share...+1

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Zippy, lol. ZaGaffer, what's up with those spearheads found in freshly caught fish in the middle of the ocean? Or the sound experts findings on the recordings of our navy's underwater sound blast?
    I saw the comercials and called bs then I watched the documentary and thought wow, maybe they have figured something out. Idk but the spear heads and the history behind finding them is pretty interesting.
    Doug, the whole thing was a fictional "what-if", an exercise per se in what if the aquatic-ape hypothesis were real. They just followed the documentary format since it was a good medium to get the story across. None of it was real though. No fishtailed humans in the fossil record. No hand crafted bone spears found in fish, unless they were made by bipedal, terra-firma types. All of it was made up for entertainment purposes and advertising revenue. Worked too, I thought it was a clever idea.

But, the only thing in that show that was based in reality was that there is a pretty good case that USN sonar testing did cause whales and dolphins to beach themselves. Damn tragedy if it’s true, especially in light of the story about the dolphin asking the diver for help. It would be cool though. Wouldn’t mind meeting a mermaid.

I remember when I was about 10 or 11 we went down to Matamoros to do some Christmas shopping and stopped in Port Isabel overnight on the way back. My dad and I were walking along the first sandbar at low tide when I came upon a sting ray. It wasn’t moving at all, just kind of drifting there. Turned out that it had a massive shark hook with a huge sinker on it that had gotten buried in the sand. We went back to the ‘burban and got a pair of pliers and pulled the hook out of its mouth and it went on its merry way apparently none the worse for wear and we went back to strolling down the sand bar and splashing in the water. ‘Bout 10 or so minutes later, I’m walking along and two sting rays swim right up to me. The one broke away from the other, swam in a circle around my feet 3 times, rejoined it’s buddy and then they both took off in an Easterly direction to deeper water. Could’ve been coincidence or a completely different ray, but I’ve always believed it was the one that we rescued saying thanks. Ever since then, the sting ray has been one of my totems. ‘Course, it hasn’t kept me from getting barbed by ‘em a couple of times. Keep meaning to go get some ink done in the traditional manner, using a sting ray spine, haven’t found the time yet.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jan 23, 2013 at 08:23 PM.

If you want to get into mermaids, one of the theories as to why dolphins are so gentle with humans, despite the imminent danger many humans pose, is that although history has long since forgotten them, nature still shows signs of mermaid interaction with dolphins, as friends under the sea. This theory came about after that unkown corpse, believed to possibly be some kind of unknown creature resembling a mermaid, was studied. Obviously not much backing to it, but cool to think about.

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Zippy, lol. ZaGaffer, what's up with those spearheads found in freshly caught fish in the middle of the ocean? Or the sound experts findings on the recordings of our navy's underwater sound blast?
    I saw the comercials and called bs then I watched the documentary and thought wow, maybe they have figured something out. Idk but the spear heads and the history behind finding them is pretty interesting.
    I saw the same program. I thought it was ridiculous that they would make a documentary on something like that. What they showed blew my mind. Disregarding the videos and stories, the fact that actual scientists had and studied that corpse in multiple countries before it was taken was an amazing thing to hear about, and actually got me to believe, ever so slightly, that there could be something like that out there in the ocean, just evading us, or atleast at one time their was.
    Last edited by ThatSlyB; Jan 29, 2013 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Doug, the whole thing was a fictional "what-if", an exercise per se in what if the aquatic-ape hypothesis were real. They just followed the documentary format since it was a good medium to get the story across. None of it was real though. No fishtailed humans in the fossil record. No hand crafted bone spears found in fish, unless they were made by bipedal, terra-firma types. All of it was made up for entertainment purposes and advertising revenue. Worked too, I thought it was a clever idea.

But, the only thing in that show that was based in reality was that there is a pretty good case that USN sonar testing did cause whales and dolphins to beach themselves. Damn tragedy if it’s true, especially in light of the story about the dolphin asking the diver for help. It would be cool though. Wouldn’t mind meeting a mermaid.

I remember when I was about 10 or 11 we went down to Matamoros to do some Christmas shopping and stopped in Port Isabel overnight on the way back. My dad and I were walking along the first sandbar at low tide when I came upon a sting ray. It wasn’t moving at all, just kind of drifting there. Turned out that it had a massive shark hook with a huge sinker on it that had gotten buried in the sand. We went back to the ‘burban and got a pair of pliers and pulled the hook out of its mouth and it went on its merry way apparently none the worse for wear and we went back to strolling down the sand bar and splashing in the water. ‘Bout 10 or so minutes later, I’m walking along and two sting rays swim right up to me. The one broke away from the other, swam in a circle around my feet 3 times, rejoined it’s buddy and then they both took off in an Easterly direction to deeper water. Could’ve been coincidence or a completely different ray, but I’ve always believed it was the one that we rescued saying thanks. Ever since then, the sting ray has been one of my totems. ‘Course, it hasn’t kept me from getting barbed by ‘em a couple of times. Keep meaning to go get some ink done in the traditional manner, using a sting ray spine, haven’t found the time yet.

Real story, thanks for sharing.

Just amazing, great story, sad ending...

http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/blog/...ve+pod+member/

Images
    ZaGaffer, I realized that most of it was hypothetical when I watched it. Can you direct me to where you found out those NOAA scientists are proven to be actors? The guy that studies dolphin and whale communication? The weird recording was fake? And so on. Not busting balls, just curious about your source of information. It's pretty lame that they would portray any of that as fact, if it's all total bs. I'm far from believing anything I see on the stupid box. Apparently reputable scientists on a reputable channel, maybe.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    Wow, smart fish. We owe nature a lending hand in a big way since we desecrated it so profoundly!