LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 8 of 129 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast
    Thanks for all the interesting comments.

Those who are critical of high pricing would no doubt not be in the market for a Damien Hirst creation. Here's the 'shallow twat from Leeds', the highest paid artist in the world, who even paints some of his own paintings ( we were born on the same day lol)

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    My problem with this guy is that he is ripping people off. Well, that is if he actually ever sells a single board. I have some friends that do woodwork as a hobby, and they could easily build a board like these. Where is the 500k+ going? Is this some rare wood? Glassed with a mixture of unicorn tears? He sounds like a douche who just wants to get rich quick by appealing to some rich idiots vanity. Sure, that rich idiot has it coming if they are dropping that much on a semi functional surfboard, but I have no respect for the person taking their money.
    You are correct regarding the glassing, it's a dark art.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post

My problem with this guy is that he is ripping people off..
    I'm impressed to hear that you take your defence of the bank balances of of the ultra rich so seriously, it's an important job.

You wouldn't want any of them to part with a 50th of their daily income on a unique surfboardwhen they could clutter their place up with hundreds of cheaper and more generic items at the same cost.

Last edited by Roy Stuart; Feb 5, 2013 at 03:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post

Roy = Douche
    Thankyou. Such sentiment is a required and inevitable part of the game. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    LOL, I’m quite sure that you are the real McCoy, Roy. Your writing style and wit are very unique and very recognizable. "That's the bow and it allows access for the pet ferrets." I'm still chuckling on that one.

I know a few, very successful artists. They charge tremendous amounts of money for their art and they get paid all the live-long day. They’re all very big in Japan. I am fortunate enough to know one artistic genius (he’s the prime reason why I gave up art as a means of supporting myself). A visionary, an equal of Rodin. His works, most of which are masterpieces (even Rodin had some off days), are bought as soon as he finishes one. They take years to make, but comparatively, he’s paid very poorly for them. I don’t believe that he has ever sold a piece for more than 35$K. That may sound like a lot, but when one considers that the piece is 9.5’ long, weighs close to 800lbs and took more than 3 years to complete, that’s not very good money. The reason, he’s a total introvert who borders on autisitc, that lacks even the most basic modicum of business sense or self-promotion. The people who buy his art believe in its future value and are carefully biding their time until he dies and it’s collectible.

One thing that I’ve learned over the years, the very wealthy don’t need to explain their eccentricities. Case in point: The Poop Sculpture

Some years ago at a dinner party, someone who would know told me that the “Donors” were actually none other than Jonas Salk. Salk decided to play a joke on his friend and had the sculpture commissioned and placed. That’s a great deal of trouble and expense to go to for a practical joke.

Roy is an interesting character. He makes very beautiful surfboards. They don’t ride like the boards that we are accustomed to, that is undeniable; but he’s not making them for us, is he? He seems to enjoy riding them. I can think of no other person on the internet so vilified for riding what they want to than GMac on a wavejet. However, universally we all express respect for Garrett Mcnamara, despite what he chooses to ride. I guess when you hold the record for riding the biggest wave in the world, you can ride whatever you want and get little criticism. Below is a pic, from Roy’s site (thank you Roy), of GMAC riding one of Roy’s boards.

Of course, the difference between Roy’s boards and a wavejet is that you have to paddle Roy’s boards and anyone who’s ever paddled out on a 9’6” balsa board knows what kind of work just carrying one of those is, paddling it is easy in comparison.

I would prefer to ride one of Roy’s boards over a wavejet any day. One of them undoubtedly has soul.

Saying that a cabinet maker could make Roy’s boards is akin to saying that a 5 year old can paint a Kandinsky. There’s some truth in it, but neither the kid nor the cabinet maker had the vision to do either. I’m not a fan of Roy’s adherence to the belief that his boards are the best, but I doubt Roy cares what I think. Also, I don’t know any great artists, except for the genius I mentioned above (he usually wants to commit suicide or take an axe to his creations upon completion), who aren’t convinced that each work that they make redefines art. Roy has visions. He sees something that the rest of us don’t.

How many of us can say that we have taken our visions and hewn them into creation?
    Thankyou for sharing your insights and opinions in spite of the fact that they go against those of the majority.

The only correction I'd make is that I've never said that my boards are the best ever... best is a term which is meaningless unless qualified quite specifically so I tend to avoid such generalisations. My 'improvements' in longboard design are really very simple, but they require the shedding of old dogma, a task which is very difficult for most to comprehend let alone accomplish.

Last edited by Roy Stuart; Feb 5, 2013 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    I'm impressed to hear that you take your defence of the bank balances of of the ultra rich so seriously, it's an important job.

You wouldn't want any of them to part with a 50th of their daily income on a unique surfboardwhen they could clutter their place up with hundreds of cheaper and more generic items at the same cost.

This says a lot about you as a person.
    Your defense of ripping people off is that they are so wealthy it shouldn't matter to them? Yes, they may be stupid and wealthy, but you are a douche for taking advantage of that. Your ego seems to obscuring reality here.

http://wegenersfinlessfrontier.blogs...n-kookbox.html

this board works better and can be had for way less $$$ though i'm sure jon would take the half mill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vGBvzbpvug
    "well if it isn't the most diabolical haters this side of the Mississippi..."

Cool looking boards...unfortunately they seem to surf like turd...no way around that. The price tag is so outrageous and performance so limited it would keep any real surfer away...basically he's found a way to separate rich idiots from likely a small amount of their money to them....months exotic long surf trips with a new quiver amount to us. To that I say ...well done...and I am stealing your idea...

Fake Roy... post the picture otherwise u full of sh%t.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Fake Roy... post the picture otherwise u full of sh%t.
    Even a picture can be BS, look no further than the Manti Teo story