LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 11 of 129 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    OK.

Please back this up.

Please tell me why you "have such a large advantage over the other boards and the ride feels so much more liberating."

Terms like "feel" are completely subjective. Please tell me what advantages your boards provide and what design aspects of your board provide theses advantages.
    Better handling and wave making ability is the short answer.

There are many design features which I use to achieve this, but we could start with one of the results i.e. the balanced central riding position and sweet spot which almost completely eliminate the need for inefficient board walking (which not only destroys the fore and aft balance but prevents efficient turning while in trim).

Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    I totally respect your equanimity and logic and don't really understand why people are name-calling and demanding pictures. For me, though, a 70 pound board isn't going to work. I spend my time riding waves (and mountains) in places that aren't easily accessible so my equipment has to work on the approach (or uphill) AND in the waves (or downhill). Strapping a 70 pound board on my pack and hiking 15 miles over mountains and down boulder-strewn cliffs to get to a break is like skinning up mountains on super-fat skis: the ride in (or down) MIGHT be more enjoyable, but the ride is only half of the experience for me; getting to the ride is the other, equally important, half. I need a balance between performance in both arenas and in both directions. So while I'm sure there's a place for your boards, it's not in the backcountry.
    My boards are built in a wide range of weights, and in terms of longboards 9 footers can be done under 20 pounds if desired. The Ghost 12 footer is only 24 pounds. The point I was making is not that heavy boards are better to hike with but that greater weight than is typically used by the foam board industry can be used to advantage in the water..

Images
    This is classic. Roy has gotten in fights on ever surf related forum he has ever stepped foot on. I spend a lot of time on a grain surf forum (Not the company out of Maine but rather a forum dedicated to the cottage industry of wooden surfboard making) to learn and discuss various wooden building techniques. Roy has had some massive arguments on their. And the argument is nearly identical in every situation.

That being said wood boards are a ton of fun to build and ride very well. I have never ridden a shortboard so maybe they are not the best for that style of surfing but if you enjoy cruising and making smooth turns on a wave you will love a wood board.

Roy, Sounds like it's time for a demo day.

Quote Originally Posted by RID View Post

This is classic.

Roy has gotten in fights on ever surf related forum he has ever stepped foot on. I spend a lot of time on a grain surf forum (Not the company out of Maine but rather a forum dedicated to the cottage industry of wooden surfboard making) to learn and discuss various wooden building techniques. Roy has had some massive arguments on their.

It takes more than one person in order to have an argument.

As you know there is a global surfing mind set, thus it is hardly surprising that similar objections to what I do occur in various places.

I've been a member of the Grain forum since 2004, by invitation, and my policy is to respond calmly, sincerely, and as intelligently as possible.

As can be seen here the haters tend to post a lot of personal abuse, I try to ignore it and concentrate on the subject matter.

And the argument is nearly identical in every situation.

That is certainly not the case if one reads the content.

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    Roy, Sounds like it's time for a demo day.
    Hi Lee,

We have a demo board which has just arrived in San Francisco, it will be heading North at some point, if you'd like to have a go then I'm sure that it can be arranged.

It's this 13 footer, the same board which Garrett was pictured riding on this thread.

Garrett-McNamara-Pipeline-Roy-Stuart-Surfboards-Olo.jpg

garrett_13fter_010709_060.jpg

Images
    The discussion here is identical to one I read over a year ago on grain from the discussion of weight right down to the call for a demo day. Maybe some of the words used are different but he ideas are all the same

I disagree, some of the members here have expressed ideas which I haven't seen before, and the fact that much of the subject matter has been discussed before should not be an issue.

In any case at least it shows that I am consistent in my opinions.

Wait... Now I'm confused. This is Roy Stuart?

Look at this horrible style. What a Kook

tudor.jpg