LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 36 of 129 FirstFirst ... 2634353637384686 ... LastLast
Results 351 to 360 of 1289
  1. #351
    Here you go:


  2. #352
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stayin' Classy in San Diego
    Posts
    2,064
    You know, I don't remember precisely; but I seem to recall reading that Dale Webster is a school janitor. Or at least was when he hit 10000. I think that was in a surfer mag article published back near the beginning of the decade. And you thought his surfin was core, huh?

    I'm probably wrong bout that, time plays tricks. Dude is far out no matter.

  3. #353
    may the wrath of a thousand sand fleas rain down on your chaffed ballsack

  4. #354
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    I don't know a darn thing about paulownia, but I was under the impression that it's a pretty good wood to use for things that are going to be exposed to sea water. I thought it was kind of like teak in that respect, don't they both resist absorbing water? Tom Wegener is using it for alaias, paipos and hand planes out here; I see him and a lot of other people riding paulownia thing-a-ma-bobbers.

    I know that sapele is a very soft wood, it's the soundboard of my guitar and an errant pick will leave a mark.

    I'm actually interested in the design aspects of surfboards in general. Erock, I've gathered you know a thing or two about wood (huh huh, sorry).

    Why is sapele a superior wood to use for ocean going craft in comparison to paulownia?

    By the way, there's a great thread on Sway's about how FireWire is going to make a recycled EPS core board clad in a Paulownia skin. First FireWire I've ever seen that I looked at and said, "I wouldn't mind trying one of those out." I've had my eye on a Sunova or a Hess though.

    Here's the link: http://www.swaylocks.com/forums/fire...wnia-to-masses



    Totally wrong about the construction of my guitar. Wild cherry laminate back and sides, red cedar sound board.
    *Note: I have not yet built a wooden surfboard, I'm drawing on my experience through other projects*

    Paulownia is a great wood for building surfboards, boats and anything else really. It's also a very sustainable product since you can essentially harvest it and it grows back. I just think it looks kinda blah, especially if its not accompanied with something else. Plus I don't like the way it bends with or without steam because the grain is sort of all over the place and inconsistent. I also would not use it in a solid board like you would use Balsa or that funky Banana Tree stuff Gary Linden uses in some of his stuff because it's way too dense for that application. Alaias are fine with it solid because they are so thin.

    For anything you are going to glass you want to avoid Teak because its so oily and I doubt you would be able to get a long lasting lamination.

    The lighter (less dense) Mahoganies like Sapele, various Central American species and the incorrectly named Spanish Cedar (it's actually in the Mahogany family) are a good balance of aesthetics, density and weight in my opinion. But I'm also a sucker for iridescence and crazy grains so I would be more prone to using dense wood as well, but resawn into thin but wide veneers and laminated to something else thin and light like cedar to reduce the weight. Not sure but that may have positive or negative effects on whatever flex the board might have but will be fun to experiment with.

    That said, density and weight won't matter if your joints are as sloppy and full of epoxy as Roy's. That probably adds an additional 5 lbs. to his "surf craft."

    Oh yeah, Roy: The tunnel on your Makaha is obtuse, out of circle, lop-sided. I'm "sure" you're going to say you meant to do that.

  5. #355
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Science mother****er
    Posts
    2,687
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Here you go:

    Thanks. You finally posted something worth a damn. However, this video shows a slow board that isn't easy to turn. Again, not sure if it is the user, or just that the board isn't working well. I can cruise on my friend's Allison 9'6" way easier than these videos are showing. And before you say I am comparing based on some flawed performance concept, I cruise the same way the guys in the video are riding. However, the Allison is quick and can turn, so it doesn't get closed out so easily.

  6. #356
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post

    That said, density and weight won't matter if your joints are as sloppy and full of epoxy as Roy's. That probably adds an additional 5 lbs. to his "surf craft."

    Epoxy is part of the medium, the weight is as designed to be, and rough joints are stronger than planed joints.



    Oh yeah, Roy: The tunnel on your Makaha is obtuse, out of circle, lop-sided. I'm "sure" you're going to say you meant to do that

    .
    No it isn't.

    I'm not sure where you got that idea.

  7. #357
    Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post

    Thanks. You finally posted something worth a damn.
    A ridiculous comment considering that I've posted video of my boards being ridden by myself far more competently.

    What was your argument for ignoring videos of me riding my boards while concentrating on video of those who have not reached a competent level?



    However, this video shows a slow board that isn't easy to turn.

    The video does not show that the board is slow, and re turning the riders are beginners, they are trying to turn from too far back.... a typical error which newbies make.



    However, the Allison is quick and can turn, so it doesn't get closed out so easily.

    An impressive comeback, compelling and well supported.



    Last edited by Roy Stuart; Feb 13, 2013 at 06:56 PM.

  8. #358
    I have one video of the only few waves which I have ridden on the 13 foot Ghost, it shows the correct riding position, on waves which the malibus and shortboards can't make it through on. One major advantage i have over you in this debate is that unlike you I have not only ridden both longboard types but I surf with malibu riders all the time, so I know the difference whereas you are just assuming. In the majority of sessions the malibus simply can't make the waves which I'm making successfully. This causes the other riders a lot of frustration. It's easy to look at a video and go 'Oh yeah I'd be making that AND doing lots of turns as well' but experience shows otherwise.



  9. #359
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Wilmington
    Posts
    2,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Epoxy is part of the medium, the weight is as designed to be, and rough joints are stronger than planed joints.

    You're so full of it Roy. But keep charging a mil for your unrefined, Fisher Price My First Joinery.


    As far as the tunnel, look at the pic you posted of it. I also scoped out your website. Let me guess, you did it because the fin is actually designed for a left point break and is not for the failed corporatized construct known as the right point break....

  10. #360
    Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post

    As far as the tunnel, look at the pic you posted of it. I also scoped out your website. Let me guess, you did it because the fin is actually designed for a left point break and is not for the failed corporatized construct known as the right point break....
    The tunnels are symmetrical I assure you, and yes they go left AND right.

    The 4 inch tunnel on the Makaha improves speed greatly, we've had 37mph out of a 10-9 Makaha in head high short period beach break waves... they fly...

    Is this the picture you are referring to?

    Attachment 6936