LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 108 of 130 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118 ... LastLast
Results 1,071 to 1,080 of 1291
  1. #1071
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    I definitely can print fins that would be strong enough to hold up to the pressures of surfing from my home printer. Im not trying to say that I am going to challenge you on this and go spend a few weeks designing on the computer just to prove a point, but it certainly can be done right now. I think the only thing necessary would be to lightly sand and seal the print before using it.
    And obviously it would not be anywhere near as strong as titanium but it would be strong enough for surfing.

    That would depend upon the height and size of the fin and the thickness at the base.

    PLA would be ok for small fins ( as long as they don't use fcs tabs) but for 9" singlefins it would be too weak.

    Keep in mind that with 3d printing it isn't just a matter of the strength of the material but also of the bond strength between layers, which is typically weak with home printers. This can be overcome by printing the fin with the extrusion lines running vertically but that's not ideal for water flow.

    It's all very well saying that doing it in PLA on a home printer can certainly be done right now, but you haven't proved that the result will be up to the job when riding waves.. We've spent the past six months proving that we can actually do it. There's a world of difference between our two positions. For example I know that ABS is not strong enough for the job on a 9 inch singlefin, because we have made ABS prototypes, and tested them to destruction in both static strength tests and in the water.

    PLA lies between ABS and polycarbonate in strength, but I doubt that it would be successful for fins up to 9 inches or more when used in a home printer.

    The key with bond strength is a heated chamber which most home printers do not have.

    PLA is also extremely brittle, unlike polycarbonate.

    Nylon is another interesting possibility and we have access to laser sintered nylon printing, but it's pretty risky and difficult to use for home printers partly because it creates highly toxic cyanide laden fumes when melted.

    It's far easier and cheaper for anyone who wants to try one of our fin designs to just buy a fin from us.
    .

  2. #1072
    Also you'd need to be comfortable with the required drawing software, and go through the learning curve required not only to draw the BLEF fins but also to get them to print to the drawn shape. What's in the drawing doesn't necessarily correspond to the printed result for a host of reasons which I won't go into here.

  3. #1073
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Also you'd need to be comfortable with the required drawing software, and go through the learning curve required not only to draw the BLEF fins but also to get them to print to the drawn shape. What's in the drawing doesn't necessarily correspond to the printed result for a host of reasons which I won't go into here.
    Well I've been using 3d modeling software since 1996 so I'm good on that front. In the prototyping biz since 2001. Also I'm the one that told you about print orientation first. I have no clue if you were previously savvy on that, I suppose you were. As far as pla being extremely brittle... That is not true. It will just reach its breaking point before abs does. So people say its more brittle than abs. But trust it certainly bends. I think the biggest threat to using pla for any object is if you leave it in your car on a hot sunny day, it might get soft and possibly deform if hot enough.

  4. #1074
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Well I've been using 3d modeling software since 1996 so I'm good on that front. In the prototyping biz since 2001. Also I'm the one that told you about print orientation first. I have no clue if you were previously savvy on that, I suppose you were. As far as pla being extremely brittle... That is not true. It will just reach its breaking point before abs does. So people say its more brittle than abs. But trust it certainly bends. I think the biggest threat to using pla for any object is if you leave it in your car on a hot sunny day, it might get soft and possibly deform if hot enough.
    Elongation at break 6% vs 20% for ABS, it's also weaker than ABS and ABS is already too weak, at least for larger fins.

    http://www.makeitfrom.com/compare-ma...la-polylactide

    Regarding print orientation yes I remember you mentioning it, it was one of our first considerations. The bond strength with horizontal orientation which we have is virtually the same as the material itself so it's a very good bond. So we get the water flow advantage of horizontal orientation with no disadvantage.

    Polycarbonate fins are stiff but will bend up to 45 degrees in static strength tests, this would never happen in the water as the loads are not as high and the load is spread out over the fin rather than being concentrated at the tip as in a static test. I have a video of the bending/strength test if you'd like to see it.

  5. #1075
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    ethernet
    Posts
    3,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    they are my intellectual property.
    .
    The ones you make with your hand yes, is the wheel the wheel 'intellectual property' of some caveman?

    intellectual property is a myth

  6. #1076
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post

    The ones you make with your hand yes
    There's no reasonable basis for the notion that intellectual property only consists of hand made items... in fact the word 'intellectual' is a clue which strongly suggests that such property is in the realm of ideas rather than ownership of physical objects.


    intellectual property is a myth
    I have some sympathy with this statement, for example I think that patents are being grossly misused at present.

    If you want to copy what I've done and can do so then so be it.

    What is not a myth is the fact that there is no possibility that you or anyone else will be able to get hold of the files from which my fins and surfboards are generated... thus the philosophical and moral aspects of the issue are rather academic.

    Besides, anyone with creative ability can simply use my ideas to influence their own designs if the want to, this sort of thing happens all the time. Such people don't need the computer files and most would probably prefer to make their own versions rather than just copy exactly.

  7. #1077
    Quote Originally Posted by MakeItStop View Post

    The ones you make with your hand yes, is the wheel the wheel 'intellectual property' of some caveman?
    If I draw a particular wheel then that drawing belongs to me.

    Others may draw their own wheels.

    It's not concepts which I claim ownership of but rather specific sets of drawings.

    For example if you wish to draw and/or make a BLEF foiled Spitfire fin then you are free to do so and to own those drawings plus any physical versions of them which you make.

    This is not the same as patenting an idea.

  8. #1078
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    If I draw a particular wheel then that drawing belongs to me.

    Others may draw their own wheels.

    It's not concepts which I claim ownership of but rather specific sets of drawings.

    For example if you wish to draw and/or make a BLEF foiled Spitfire fin then you are free to do so and to own those drawings plus any physical versions of them which you make.

    This is not the same as patenting an idea.
    Oh poor Roy
    You always boast
    We stopped listening
    Long before your thousandth post

    Whiskers long
    Surf movements feeble
    We could care less
    You fathered twelve people

  9. #1079
    This has got to be the longest thread of all times. I haven't read it all but from what I gather Roy seems like the kind of guy you could be talking to, nod off right in front of ,wake up and he'd still be talking. Not a bad guy ,just a little long winded.

  10. #1080
    Quote Originally Posted by 1vin View Post
    This has got to be the longest thread of all times. I haven't read it all but from what I gather Roy seems like the kind of guy you could be talking to, nod off right in front of ,wake up and he'd still be talking. Not a bad guy ,just a little long winded.
    Wrong

    Most of my posts are responses to people's replies, without the responses and my replies this thread would be only about one page long.