LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 50 of 128 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bubonicphoniks View Post
    Roy the truth is Garrett McNamara's achievements in surfing are abundant, including many major achievements. I do not think you have any achievements in surfing that can rival even some of his smallest accredited achievements. McNamara's achievements are far superior to yours and therefore your critique holds very little legitimacy. He is a superior surfer, the world record holder for the largest wave ever ridden. The fact that he was unable to get a good ride on your board on that wave I have to believe is the fault of the unorthodox equipment, not the (accomplished) rider.
    That's an illogical argument from authority.

Garrett was standing too far back,I mentioned this to him and he said that he's be sure to stand further back next time, then he did so with predictable results.

Those are the facts, it wasn't the board it was the rider.

Images
    Close this thread and throw it in the trash. It's getting really exhausting.

In case you haven't figured it out yet: you don't have to visit this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    You are confusing factual matters with emotional matters.

This is supposed to be a design conversation, and I find that it is better to do design work unemotionally.

In other words stick to the topic, if you please.

http://www.roystuart.biz

Your ego stretches beyond emotions. It goes into your design discussion and is a key part of your entire business model. The fact that you can't see that is proof of extreme self-admiration. Your reality is a blur at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Close this thread and throw it in the trash. It's getting really exhausting.
    I think we should close this thread as he is using it as free advertisement. Why do you think he keeps posting links to his website? He will troll every surf website until his stuff is all over the place. Don't we usually delete spam? We are actually the idiots for being trolled so hard. He probably doesn't even believe half the stuff he posts. I had a philosophy teacher that could do this. He would pick a subject and take the side that he was actually against. He would then argue passionately for that side.

If you don't believe me, go ahead and google his name or anything having to do with million dollar surfboards. You will get links to many forums, and links to his website in those forums. I had this suspicion earlier, but waited until I had validation to mention anything. I am considering reporting to SI.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    the magnitude of the lift produced depends also upon the size of the foil... in other words the same pressure difference over a larger foil leads to greater lift.
    Roy... I think the sheer stamina you have for arguing is by far the most amazing thing about you. For someone with so much knowledge and experience you have better things to talk about than to perpetuate the bickering.

Regarding the quote above... All foils have two sides. The net force creates effective lift resulting motion. So to clarify, all other things being held constant, a symmetrically foiled fin creates less net lifting force, and less motion, than a single foiled fin. So to compare the lift created by a large single fin and a thruster or quad or any multi-finned board, you have to factor in the lift created by all the fins. And at some point you have to begin to consider not only lift, but thrust.

Roy... why not introduce the concept of your tunnel fin at this point? Talk about how they work not only in terms of lift, but their effect on drag, turbulence, angle of attack, interaction with the bottom, flex, thrust... plenty to talk about there.
    Last edited by LBCrew; Feb 15, 2013 at 03:57 PM.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Roy,

Thanks for putting this up.

I'll say it again, I and a large portion of the SI crowd have a different idea of what performing on a surfboard means. Like I said earlier, you have a go-fast, go-straight board and in your mind that is the epitome of efficiency. That's fine with me.

I think the surfer's idea of performance in this video have more in common with a lot of the SI users. In the video at 1:36 Beano tries a couple times to make a front side turn up the face of the wave. He tries this unsuccessfully then moves back further on the board to try again and still can't do it and finishes out the ride by jumping over the wave at 1:45.

Later, when Jay is on the board he seems to be riding further back on the board as well and getting bumped around pretty violently but still holding on at 3:18 you can see he is trying to trim up to find the high line and at 3:24 attempts a backside turn down the wave and the board proves to be too unstable for him to complete the turn. The later rides show him trying to carve but unable to as the back of the board is too deep in the water.

I know that these guy obviously don't know how to ride this board as you stated earlier. You ride closer to the nose than them. However, this video and their surfing also serve as examples of how the board they're riding, that shares similar design principles to your other boards, is able to catch waves and trim but fails when a carving turn is attempted.

Early on in the Naval Architecture of Planing Hull by Lindsay Lord he writes of the early Japanese and Italian PT boats with 1800 HP that "took ten boat lengths to turn, with speed falling off badly during the turn." We see evidence of this with your videos. These surfers attempted turns and were punished for it, you trim but attempt no turns. We've seen this many times through the videos you've provided.

Again, as I've said earlier, there is a problem with the definition of performance. In my opinion, your definition of performance is riding a wave for as long as possible with minimal movement. My definition of performance would also be riding a wave as long as possible but meanwhile, I try to see the top and bottom of the wave and with a powerful turn in there if possible.... throwing buckets if you will. That's just me and my level of progression right now. If you are at the top of the game for the boards you're making and riding how do you see them progressing? I see people riding modern surfboard doing backflips now. Where is the future performance of your designs going?

Roy, take it easy on the low hanging fruit. You asked for specific questions and your received them, now you ignore them?

I still want to know what kind of vehicle you drive too.

There is nothing wrong with my argument. They are perfectly valid. Leave the logic, grammar, and philosophy criticisms out of your posts. You are trying to tell Garrett Mcnamara how to surf correctly am I wrong? Who is the better surfer of you two? Do you think you are qualified to give Garrett McNamara surfing advice Roy?

You keep saying that everyone but you the rides your boards is doing it wrong. Maybe your boards just arent that good. Your boards may be worth a million dollars to you, but not to anyone else it seems. In fact you couldn't pay ME a million dollars to ride one of your boards and nothing else for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by bubonicphoniks; Feb 15, 2013 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bubonicphoniks View Post
    There is nothing wrong with my argument. They are perfectly valid. Leave the logic, grammar, and philosophy criticisms out of your posts. You are trying to tell Garrett Mcnamara how to surf correctly am I wrong? Who is the better surfer of you two? Do you think you are qualified to give Garrett McNamara surfing advice Roy?
    Why do you love Garrett McNamara so much? How dare Roy sully his good name!

Much as it pains me to say, I'm kind of with Roy on this one. The shaper can almost always offer some good advice to ANYONE, pro or not, on how to make the most his or her board's design features (in this case, even if it's just because no one has any experience riding anything similar due to the, let's call it "unique", shapes Roy is producing). And really, it was a pretty harmless sentence about moving forward on the board. Let it go. Otherwise you're just inviting Roy to state his point again, and I sure wouldn't want you to have to read another bad thing about GMac!

*Disclaimer* None of this is intended to support the logic, shapes and especially cost of Roy's boards.
    Last edited by newenglandflatness; Feb 15, 2013 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Roy you need to do two things. I've suggested this to you before but here it is again:
    1. You need to take a business class
    2. You need to take a class on design or an entry level physics class.
    Please don't suggest that he attend any type of school. God forbid he ever takes a law class or meets an aspiring ambulance chaser. He'll be suing every board co. out there since he is the visionary behind every board design out there. Even though every.single.one of them has improved on his revolutionary designs. We know the lawyers will argue they couldn't have arrived at their inefficient designs without his dream inspired development of the modern surfboard.

On another note, I have seen/heard boards that sing when the placement of one of the fins was off. These were usually ghost shaped and/or cheap boards though. Wait...did I just almost agree with something he said??? I'll go kill myself now.