LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 70 of 104 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post

Admin... shouldn't atlantico-no-go be banished to the land of bread & water?
    Cry baby!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    Cry baby!

Jeez, I don't know if I can handle that one, gnome.

I agree with you there.
    Well, we all know you aren't rolling in cash from board sales. I am sure a successful business owner would have better things to do than argue over opinions on SI.

Check this out, page 42:

http://edition.pagesuite-professiona...0-fd8d61ff74b4

"Designing surfboards is an art for Roy Stuart, who is perhaps the world’s most venerated surfboard sculptor, crafting all his rides by hand. Although he builds only two boards a year, his logoand signature-less rides are instantly recognizable. Stuart’s latest creation is theHotkurl 2013, a
    compact 10-foot, five-inch board that is the result of a 16-year development program that utilizes
    synergized hydrodynamic innovations. Fashioned in empress wood—Stuart specializes in wooden
    boards—and covered in stainless steel and 23K gold gilding, the technologically advanced board
    is the designer’s fastest and smoothest ride yet. It is also the world’s most expensive surfboard,
    which at $1.47 million, is an almost priceless expression by the “Stradivari of surfboard shapers.”
    Contact: Owner Roy Stuart, (647) 882-1560; admin@roystuart.biz; www.roystuart.biz "

Last edited by Roy Stuart; Sep 18, 2013 at 09:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Rcarter your the fool starting to sound like a communist. You continue to state that Roy has the right, because of free market capitalism, to charge whatever he wants. Your issue is clearly price based and not involved with surfboard design which is another issue in itself. You think surfing is this thing that can't accept a luxury item because its just not right in your mind. If one looks back on the history of surfing it was at its conception in the western world ofcource a hobby for homeless and grungy dudes .. Not true for ancient Polynesia however. Any way my point being is that like all things culture changes and surfboards are no longer the interests of slum life only. Lobster in Maine used to be collected on the beach when dead ones would wash up from storms and fed to jail inmates .. Not the case for lobster anymore , it yields top dollar in many markets foreign and abroad. Surfboards like lobster are things of value so lets enjoy it all.
    I have always said my issue is with Roy's prices, never tried to hide it. Just because surfing is not for the slum life it is by no means the hobby of the ultra rich except maybe for you if your surfing Marthas Vineyard, maybe take a ride down to NJ or MD or NC beaches and tell me what you see. Kids getting by on any old board they can ride to stay stoked, not selling their parents houses, cars and cashing in 401k's to buy Roy's boards. You keep eating your lobster and buying your yachts.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I'm really only on this forum to check the surf report but I do enjoy the forum discussions. My grammar shouldn't be an issue to anyone it's the point of my statements which matter. And yes a communist is someone who votes for big govenment and consequently big business. R carter has demonstrated his interest in big business namely the surf industry and following the standard set forth by it. He has shown little room in his skull for free thought and the acceptance of luxury goods within the surf industry is un acceptable to him , he's more concerned with the monopoly surf industry thus demonstrating communist / Marxist thought. The greatest good for the greatest Amount of surfers is the r carter battle.
    I love big business, I work for the 6th largest insurance broker in the country 7th largest in the world and am insuring a 92 million dollar high rise right now. I love money. Yes the surf industry like all industries promotes big spending, doesn't mean people can't disagree with the trend. My boards are shaped by a local guy in Wrightsville Beach who tells me the cost of materials and then adds $100-$150 for his time.

I agree with you there.
    You just agreed with Brew that you sell your plans at a normal cost to make your living and use your high priced boards as the hook to get folks interested, same thing I said 3 pages ago. Thank you for proving my point.

Charles you say you mostly come to check the forecast but have 173 posts in less than 2 months. Seems you doing a lot of posting.

Again neither one of you two will come clean with the actual cost of materials to make these boards. Here is the cost sheet from my shaper for my last board:

Blank: $90
    Glassing and color: $200
    Cost for him shaping it: $125

Total: $415 we have been friends since 1990 so he cuts me a break but you get the picture. Oh and just so you do get the picture I have included it below.
    Yellow Single fin.jpg

Let's see you guys' cost?
    Last edited by rcarter; Sep 18, 2013 at 09:51 PM.

Check this out, page 42:

http://edition.pagesuite-professiona...0-fd8d61ff74b4

"Designing surfboards is an art for Roy Stuart, who is perhaps the world’s most venerated surfboard sculptor, crafting all his rides by hand. Although he builds only two boards a year, his logoand signature-less rides are instantly recognizable. Stuart’s latest creation is theHotkurl 2013, a
    compact 10-foot, five-inch board that is the result of a 16-year development program that utilizes
    synergized hydrodynamic innovations. Fashioned in empress wood—Stuart specializes in wooden
    boards—and covered in stainless steel and 23K gold gilding, the technologically advanced board
    is the designer’s fastest and smoothest ride yet. It is also the world’s most expensive surfboard,
    which at $1.47 million, is an almost priceless expression by the “Stradivari of surfboard shapers.”
    Contact: Owner Roy Stuart, (647) 882-1560; admin@roystuart.biz; www.roystuart.biz "

Sorry but a review from a Yacht mag is not a valid opinion of the surfing community! That is like Better Homes & Gardens reviewing a Fender Guitar.

It's not a review it is a product feature... advertising... it's out there, hard copy in private jets and super yachts, sorry but I doubt if the readers have heard of you or your bottom feeding opinion of what the herd supposedly group thinks.

If you were to be sentenced to hang if and when a board sells for over a million, would you feel safe or would you have a nagging thought that someone might be 'crazy' enough to do it?

... and speaking of home and garden the 'Hotkurl' also features in the latest 'Robb Report: Home and Style' magazine. The luxury goods mags can't get enough of it.
    Last edited by Roy Stuart; Sep 18, 2013 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarter View Post

You just agreed with Brew that you sell your plans at a normal cost to make your living and use your high priced boards as the hook to get folks interested.
    No I didn't, and FYI my plans are on the expensive side.

Again neither one of you two will come clean with the actual cost of materials to make these boards.
    The materials cost is irrelevant to the finished price, that's why.

I don't have to buy into your materials plus average hourly rate paradigm, and I don't.

Thanks for the picture of your latest board. I rode foam shortboard singles for 20 years and although I liked them at the time I have moved light years ahead of them, in my opinion. They are outdated.

Last edited by Roy Stuart; Sep 18, 2013 at 10:10 PM.

Those members who have shown an avid interest in what I sell, when I sell it and how much I sell it for will no doubt be pleased to receive the following live update: A custom hand drawn set of plans for the 'Earl' 10-6 sold 30 minutes ago for US$200.

Paper cost $2, ink 40c, time spent drawing to be advised, postage and packaging to be advised.
    Last edited by Roy Stuart; Sep 18, 2013 at 10:21 PM.

I imagine that Stradivari could elecit beautiful sounds from his creations, much like the maestros he made them for.

One of these images reminds me of Barber's Adagio for Strings, one does not. Both individuals have been described as innovative and master craftsman.

Just by different folks, for very different reasons.