Page 78 of 127 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 1265
  1. #771
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    11,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    You have been advising us to call what we do 'trimming' rather than 'surfing'.

    If you don't know what you mean by trimming then your suggestion becomes meaningless.

    Technically surfing always involves the surfboard being used at an angle of trim, therefore all surfing is 'trimming'. If that's the case then one can use either term as one pleases.

    If you have some other definition of 'trimming' then please type it out so that we know what you mean by it.

    .
    Your term "pure surfing" = trimming, that is the easiest way to explain it to you without getting to technical about something so basic. You are basically giving yourself an excuse to not be any good at surfing, and you consider it "pure".

    By standing in one place like a statue only to get to the end of the wave, you are no different than the beginner who is just simply trying to go for a ride on the wave without falling, which by evidence of your surfing in the videos you provide, you're doing exactly that.

    Why don't you go work on your balance some and learn how to stand on a board without looking like you are going to fall every two seconds. You can make up all the cute names you like, but at the end of the day, you aren't doing anything different than the beginner surfer.

    Trimming is to surfing what idling / coasting is to driving a car.

  2. #772
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

    Well Chuck, the thing is Roy has been quite vocal about what his definition of “Pure Surfing” is over the years.
    The phrase has not previously been part of the surfing vernacular, as far as I know.

    What I mean by 'pure surfing' is surfing pared down to only what is necessary.

    The 'no mind' state can of course be achieved while partaking in other methods of surfing, but in my opinion the tricks which are almost universally demanded by the modern prescribed surfing mind set are generally detrimental to its achievement.

    You lot can have your performance and style indicators, I'll just do what it takes to make the wave.

  3. #773
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    York Maine
    Posts
    778
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Your term "pure surfing" = trimming, that is the easiest way to explain it to you without getting to technical about something so basic. You are basically giving yourself an excuse to not be any good at surfing, and you consider it "pure".

    By standing in one place like a statue only to get to the end of the wave, you are no different than the beginner who is just simply trying to go for a ride on the wave without falling, which by evidence of your surfing in the videos you provide, you're doing exactly that.

    Why don't you go work on your balance some and learn how to stand on a board without looking like you are going to fall every two seconds. You can make up all the cute names you like, but at the end of the day, you aren't doing anything different than the beginner surfer.

    Trimming is to surfing what idling / coasting is to driving a car.
    Dawn patrol I like you too, you seem like a decent man but I don't think you believe what you just said. Referring to Roy's style as a beginner is just silly. Seriously I think it's statements like what you've just made that can help justify the style of pure surfing ie a style which involves no need for special moves. It's appealing that more people can't accept a style that is different and just as unique as anything else that's been done in surfing. Roy has taken the white noise out of surfing. Thank you Roy.

  4. #774
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post

    Your term "pure surfing" = trimming, that is the easiest way to explain it to you without getting to technical about something so basic. You are basically giving yourself an excuse to not be any good at surfing, and you consider it "pure".
    On what basis do you claim that the addition of the unnecessary is required for surfing to be 'good'?



    By standing in one place like a statue only to get to the end of the wave, you are no different than the beginner who is just simply trying to go for a ride on the wave without falling, which by evidence of your surfing in the videos you provide, you're doing exactly that.
    The problem with your argument is that it is obvious that I don't just stand there like a statue, and doing so would make it far more difficult to make waves.

    Regarding beginners, their goals are often less corrupted by the unnecessary than those who consider themselves to be experts, so I'll take the comparison as a compliment. Have you ever heard people say that they've never been more stoked than when they caught their first wave?


    Why don't you go work on your balance some and learn how to stand on a board without looking like you are going to fall every two seconds.
    The proof is in the pudding, I don't wear a leash and I only rarely fall... ergo my balance is excellent... I don't need a wide bug stance in order to stay on my board.


    You can make up all the cute names you like, but at the end of the day, you aren't doing anything different than the beginner surfer.
    Funny how a couple of pro surfers couldn't achieve it.


    Trimming is to surfing what idling / coasting is to driving a car.
    The appearance is certainly deceptive... I can make many waves which those who are 'revving it up' cannot make, and if I can do so 'idling' then let's just say that I have more horsepower and don't waste it by drifting or doing burnouts.

    .

  5. #775
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post

    It's appealing that more people can't accept a style that is different and just as unique as anything else that's been done in surfing. Roy has taken the white noise out of surfing. Thank you Roy.
    Thanks Charles. It's certainly a bonus that everyone isn't doing it!

    Some of the pioneers ( like Tom Blake for example) appear to have ridden waves with a similar approach, I sometimes feel their presence when riding my bigger boards and wonder how they would have enjoyed riding them if they'd had the chance.

    The mainstream is modernist to the core, what we are doing is post modern, having much in common with the early days of surfing is part of that post modernism.

    .
    Last edited by Roy Stuart; Sep 20, 2013 at 09:32 PM.

  6. #776
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    11,227
    I'm sorry but "tricks" are not required nor demanded by anybody in the "free surfing" world. Only in competition are they "required" for a high score. However, 99% of surfers are not competing and are purely surfing for their own enjoyment.

    Guys / Gals have been doing "tricks" on surfboards for a very long time only for their own enjoyment, it's a form of expression, an art form if you will. When a surfer decides to perform a "trick" it is because that is what they are feeling at the moment, having NOTHING to do with any rules or expectations set forth by any audience.

    When I go surfing, i'm typically in the water by myself, maybe a couple others who decided to wake up before dawn like me, and there aren't any spectators usually, maybe a person walking by, but that's it. To suggest i'm doing a cut back or a floater for anybody other than myself is ridiculous and false. It's just something that feels right and a way to enjoy the wave more.

    Going straight down the line with no intention of doing anything else gets boring and redundant after a while, so throwing in a maneuver here and there CHALLENGES myself. It requires very little skill or talent to trim / "pure surf". Sorry, I call it how it is, a spade is a spade.

  7. #777
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    11,227
    And Roy, the proof is certainly NOT in the pudding. You have a very delusional sense of self. I've seen your videos, and you most certainly have trouble keeping your balance. Just because you don't hit the water doesn't mean you have good balance. A good surfer wouldn't look like he's struggling to keep his balance through his entire ride like you do. Throwing you hands forward with a stance that resembles taking a dump in the woods is no more appealing than the wide stinkbug stance you referenced. By suggesting your way of surfing is "pure" while others are not, you just make a mockery of surfing. This has to be a joke, you really can't be serious with this crap. Look at yourself on video dude, for F sakes!

  8. #778
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    York Maine
    Posts
    778
    Images
    7
    Tom Blake built a ridiculous 20 ft board which is wicked cool. Tom wegner rode it and was amazed by it, thinking it was the coolest thing, a novelty to surfing. See swell info trolls , others in surfing have though outside the box and had allot of fun with it. Me and Roy aren't the only guys who enjoy and appreciate a different style. Note the part in this link where it speaks of the resurrection of ancient style..

    Roy I bet Tom Blake would love your boards as in my opinion your olos have an acient charm coupled with a modern and hydrodynamic dominance yet done in a unique 'old school' but yet so modern approach. Tom Blake appreciated the past which is important.

    Here's a fun link about a tom Blake surfboard
    Last edited by Charles Taylor; Sep 20, 2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: My spelling was the difference between my entire argument thus far

  9. #779
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post

    you most certainly have trouble keeping your balance.
    No I don't.


    Just because you don't hit the water doesn't mean you have good balance.

    Yes it does.


    By suggesting your way of surfing is "pure" while others are not, you just make a mockery of surfing.
    I've suggested that surfing without doing unnecessary antics is 'pure surfing, I haven't made any claims about surfing with 'Dawnpatrol pleasing style'



    This has to be a joke, you really can't be serious with this crap. Look at yourself on video dude, for F sakes!
    Look at those falling off their shortboards while trying to compete... fortunately for your delusional view you don't have to share the waves with me!

  10. #780
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    11,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    See swell info trolls
    Why do you use this term? Because we have a different opinion than you? Should we also call you a troll? I don't think you'd care for that term as you're just stating your opinion as I and others are. Trolling would be if we were just trying to get a rise out of you. That is not what I or others are doing here. Maybe yesterday I was having a little fun with Roy on the contraction he made (yes you did Roy), but other than that I've been dead serious in my posts and am providing genuine feedback. Just because it defies yours or Roy's train of thought, shouldn't mean that I or others are "trolls".
    Last edited by DawnPatrolSUP; Sep 20, 2013 at 10:07 PM.