LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 78 of 128 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 771 to 780 of 1274
  1. #771
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cape Cod
    Posts
    323
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    ... As for pure surfing I guess any style which makes you grin like a fool and feel incredibly stoked is pure enough for me.
    ^+1. Definitely a very good thought.

    In the guild of beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, which is in harmony with zaGaffer's post.
    Last edited by capecodcdog; Sep 20, 2013 at 01:27 PM.

  2. #772
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    York Maine
    Posts
    737
    Images
    5
    When I used the term pure surfing in regard to Roy's designs I am using it to simply imply that the olo style long board which it is doesn't do anything fancy other than surf efficiently from a sweet spot riding position. It's only designed to surf, not nose walk, smack lips, launch airs, or make excessive spray wih hard turning menuvers. So it's not to belittle anyone's feelings towards what's pure for them it's just a simplified style is all.

  3. #773
    wouldn't it be a lot smarter for you to market these for a modest $25000-$35000 compared to the incomprehensible 1.4 million? Youre profit margins would still be huge and you could channel far more sales I would say, no?

  4. #774
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    When I used the term pure surfing in regard to Roy's designs I am using it to simply imply that the olo style long board which it is doesn't do anything fancy other than surf efficiently from a sweet spot riding position. It's only designed to surf, not nose walk, smack lips, launch airs, or make excessive spray wih hard turning menuvers. So it's not to belittle anyone's feelings towards what's pure for them it's just a simplified style is all.
    Lol Charles u know that sentiment has been said before and Roy would put down who ever would say that. So just keep that in mind.

  5. #775
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Stayin' Classy in San Diego
    Posts
    1,863
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    When I used the term pure surfing in regard to Roy's designs I am using it to simply imply that the olo style long board which it is doesn't do anything fancy other than surf efficiently from a sweet spot riding position. It's only designed to surf, not nose walk, smack lips, launch airs, or make excessive spray wih hard turning menuvers. So it's not to belittle anyone's feelings towards what's pure for them it's just a simplified style is all.
    Well Chuck, the thing is Roy has been quite vocal about what his definition of “Pure Surfing” is over the years. I’ve being reading Roy’s views about surfing and surfing design on Swaylock’s and the erBB for a long time now, there’s also a plethora of interviews on the web as well as Roy’s own writing on his blog.

    Here’s Roy defining what “pure surfing” is:
    Pure surfing, a Zen thing. The only goal is to make waves. It's a victory of the spirit over the mundane and reasonable. Pure surfing is unreasonable. It's primeval and predatory. It's a no mind state free of the usual pseudo rational social and mental abstractions which are used to justify and normalise waveriding. Civilisation insists upon the imposition of social context upon surfing via rules, competitions, schools of thought, style, status, and a demand for emotional self expression, as well as the banal demand to have ‘fun'. All of this excess baggage obscures the primary urge. Removing it leaves one in a state where there is no reason to surf. That is the key. No reason is needed.

    Every corporate sponsored school of surfing has a list of required tricks which supposedly define surfing and which need to be performed or at least approved of for acceptance into the group. Longboarding has noseriding, cross stepping, soul arching, knee dropping, and other poses. Shortboarding has hacks, gouges, punts and tricks by the dozen. Alaia and finless surfing have 360's, the lala, and other tricks currently being named as it strives to become a ‘real' surfing school. Likewise SUP's obediently line up to ape shortboarding and longboarding moves. The whole deal is a zoo, a circus full of performing monkeys who know the price of everything but fail to understand the value of nothing. Without point scoring tricks surfing is nothing, just an empty no mind state. That's pure surfing.

    Of course without some sort of goal one wouldn't surf at all, so we simply strive to catch and make waves. One might say that it's like competing in order to score one point or less, just as in golf the fewer strokes make the winner. This has a profound effect on surfboard design. Currently the industry produces surfboards which are like golfclubs made to take the maximum number of strokes while producing the greatest volume of divots. Paradoxically, intense intellectual discipline creates surrfboards which ride more by doing less.


    http://www.dailystoke.com/interview/...r-roy-stewart/


    So by using the term “pure surfing” in connection with Roy’s boards, I as someone who is reading your words am going to assume that you share his view point as to what “pure sufing” is. That and the quote below lead me to believe that it is your opinion that whatever it is, it doesn’t involve “the Malibu board walking style rarrick is probably used too.”

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Roy's designs are made for pure surfing and not the Malibu board walking style rarrick is probably used too.
    That’s pretty contradictory to this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    As for pure surfing I guess any style which makes you grin like a fool and feel incredibly stoked is pure enough for me.
    Which is what I actually believe. I think that your words would strike a different tone if you were to be more accurate:

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    Roy's designs are made for standing in one spot on the boardand not the Malibu board walking style rarrick is probably used too.
    To call one of those things “pure surfing” and the other not is what I take issue with. One of my favorite quotes about surfing is from A.C. Weisbecker:

    “I have never, not ever, had a conscious thought, good, bad or indifferent, while in the act of riding a wave. Some days I really need that vacuum, that purity.”

    If the definition of “pure surfing” really is “a no mind state free of the usual pseudo rational social and mental abstractions”, then it doesn’t take one of Roy’s boards to do it. Or if it does, then it’s just a marketing gimmick.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Sep 20, 2013 at 06:23 PM.

  6. #776
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,029
    ^^^ Well said

  7. #777
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    York Maine
    Posts
    737
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Roy would put down who ever would say that. So just keep that in mind.
    I'm not sure what you are implying .. I am just a guy who enjoys building wooden boards and the style created by Roy coined 'pure surfing' seems pretty simple to me. A style of surfing that doesn't have any goal other than surfing. The reason this speaks to me is because I've spent years in the water trying to just surf and that's all, I hate nose walking and pretty much everything else other than timing my wave entry perfectly and going as far as I physically can in a section and then being able to get off the back of the swell to paddle out between the incoming set without getting caught inside. What has itritated me over the years is the people I'm with in te water would say "dude you should have done this or tried that as I avoided board walking and don't care what a group of short boarders huddled together think.

  8. #778
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Central FL
    Posts
    4,029
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I'm not sure what you are implying .. I am just a guy who enjoys building wooden boards and the style created by Roy coined 'pure surfing' seems pretty simple to me. A style of surfing that doesn't have any goal other than surfing. The reason this speaks to me is because I've spent years in the water trying to just surf and that's all, I hate nose walking and pretty much everything else other than timing my wave entry perfectly and going as far as I physically can in a section and then being able to get off the back of the swell to paddle out between the incoming set without getting caught inside. What has itritated me over the years is the people I'm with in te water would say "dude you should have done this or tried that as I avoided board walking and don't care what a group of short boarders huddled together think.
    Charles, I like you and all but you really should replace the term "surfing" with "trimming", surfing is what we all do, regardless of what style you call it, the act of riding a wave is in fact surfing.The style that you and Roy coin "pure surfing" should be referred to as "trimming", as that essentially is what it is in the world of surfing. I know i know, Roy doesn't subscribe to the same set of rules of all the other surfers in the world, but let's just call it what it is, trimming...

  9. #779
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    1,224
    Images
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Taylor View Post
    I'm not sure what you are implying .. I am just a guy who enjoys building wooden boards and the style created by Roy coined 'pure surfing' seems pretty simple to me. A style of surfing that doesn't have any goal other than surfing. The reason this speaks to me is because I've spent years in the water trying to just surf and that's all, I hate nose walking and pretty much everything else other than timing my wave entry perfectly and going as far as I physically can in a section and then being able to get off the back of the swell to paddle out between the incoming set without getting caught inside. What has itritated me over the years is the people I'm with in te water would say "dude you should have done this or tried that as I avoided board walking and don't care what a group of short boarders huddled together think.
    Hard core brah... F those mean short boards.

  10. #780
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

    If the definition of “pure surfing” really is “a no mind state free of the usual pseudo rational social and mental abstractions”, then it doesn’t take one of Roy’s boards to do it.

    .
    Roy has never suggested that one of his boards is required so you are arguing against a mirage of your own making.

    The term 'pure surfing' is something I came up with as a convenient phrase which encapsulates some of my surfing and design ideology, as said previously, other people can use it to refer to whatever they like, I don't own it.

    .