LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 86 of 129 FirstFirst ... 3676848586878896 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tlokein View Post
    Hi Roy,

How's the vid of you pulling into a tube and making it out coming along?

Cheers,
    Tlokein
    this is the eternal question...

Same crappy wave, same crappy rides. Around the point its probably pumping and these guys are riding lumps.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    looks like a great family surf session. Must have been a nice afternoon.
    take away something concrete from this thread……YOU DO WANT TO SURF THERE…its so scenic and beautiful
    and when i went the locals were friendly….and i had such a GOOD TIME!!! and the actual wave is A+ quality
    and offers THREE SEPARATE POINTS….i'm breaking a sweat here…heart rate is up…..

Quote Originally Posted by KookieMonster View Post

Same crappy wave, same crappy rides. Around the point its probably pumping and these guys are riding lumps.

Ok here's how it was: High 'King' tide, so no good at Indicators at that small size... ok for Manu Bay but there was a club contest on, so it was really the only option and it worked out well because the onshore came up early and the inside at whale Bay was more sheltered.

It's actually an interesting spot there at high tide, as it breaks right on the rocks.

Anyway from the same session:

Last edited by Roy Stuart; Mar 28, 2014 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    looks like a great family surf session. Must have been a nice afternoon.
    Yes it was, we had 15 people on board the bus, including out first grandson aged 3 months. Parked opposite the three level pole house which I built and lived in when first married in '88, Whale Bay has an incredible sub tropical micro climate, it's a gem of a place.

How big of a wave have you taken that thing out on? I'd like to see some footage of you duck diving that horse.

Quote Originally Posted by chicharronne View Post
    How big of a wave have you taken that thing out on? I'd like to see some footage of you duck diving that horse.
    Duck diving big boards is not a feasible method, the correct way is to roll under, a technique which most who try don't do right.

That particular board has been out in head high to head and a half high waves but other boards of similar size and several feet bigger I've had out many times in waves three to four times overhead. Rolling under is very effective in such waves provided that the boards are not too light and provided that the rails have a shape which allows a very strong grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    That particular board has been out in head high to head and a half high waves but other boards of similar size and several feet bigger I've had out many times in waves three to four times overhead.
    Can't wait to see that vid!

on this side of the earth, it's called turning turtle. I've tried it once in CR on an overhead day with a 9 footer with no success. An older guy we called papa surf( because he looked like papa smurf) could get it out with no effort. I was content using my 7'2.

The usual mistake is to grasp the rails too far forward, but it does depend upon the board.

A second big mistake is to lie under the board horizontally and/or to grip the tail with the feet.

In bigger surf I used to be able to get out the back when caught inside as fast or faster than shortboarders do, provided that the swell period was long enough ( say 11 seconds plus). In short period waves with size it's harder to keep up with the duck divers as it takes a tad longer to roll upright and get paddling again than it does when duckdiving. With sufficient gap between the waves the faster paddling speed of the longboard makes up for the extra time taken to roll.... but in either case most of the time no more distance is lost during the roll than it is with duckdiving, provided that the roll under technique is correct.