LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Waves vs School

Screw school man! I need more people delivering my pizzas, pouring my coffee, handing me my burritos out the drive-thru, and, most importantly, receiving an unEarned Income Tax Credit.....

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    Screw school man! I need more people delivering my pizzas, pouring my coffee, handing me my burritos out the drive-thru, and, most importantly, receiving an unEarned Income Tax Credit.....
    Cracked me up!

Hey mate,

I teach! I still find a way to surf and go to school. Sure, school may not be for everyone, but as Eddie Aikau once stated: "There will always be a better wave." Find a way to do both, always.

I usually surf in the morning and then go for an evening sesh.
    Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWocal View Post
    Thursday is looking like it could be pretty fun boyz! Should I skip school Thursday and go snag some waves? Haven't surfed in a while so this swell is looking pretty tempting to me! What do you guys think?!
    as someone else said, save your skips for when it's good enough to be out all day. realistically, how long are you gonna be out in 35 water? 3 hours (tops) is my guess.
    being a responsible, working adult surfer who still gets a ton of water time is about time management & prioritizing. when can you afford to blow off your responsibilities all day? when can you afford a couple hours? when it's flat, you build up your sick & personal days by working your ass off (& staying fit at the gym or however you choose), so that when those really good days of waves arrive, you can disappear & no one will be pissed about it.
    like a few others here, i'm a teacher. i've never missed a day of school in my career b/c i was sick, mostly b/c i don't get sick. i've missed plenty of days over the years to surf all day. you gotta know when to hold 'em & when to fold 'em. winter surfing, for me, isn't a hold 'em proposition. i still get plenty of water time, but the forecast looks like it's gonna be better in the afternoon where i am, so i'll be the first one out the door when that bell rings so i can get in the water.
    if you're in college, look at the forecast & figure out when the best tide/wind combo will be for your spot & try to surf then or as close to it as possible. if you're in high school, get your ass to class. you've got plenty of time to blow off school or work to surf the good days ahead of you (& besides, you can surf after school).

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    Wocal, go to school and try and catch an evening sesh. Bubonic, I think Gaffer just checked out for the moon! LOL
    LOL, I checked out years ago and never came back from the dark side. Man, what have we become!?! What a bunch of old farts we are, telling this poor kid to go to class and be responsible, because someday he might have a good life/work balance and a 401K. Screw that noise, kid, don't listen to any of us. Don't trust anyone over 30. Ditch, go surfing. You only live once. Sh!1, some of the best memories of my 7 years of college were my ditch days.
    or
    gO tO sCh00oL. GeT g00d GrAdEs$. gRadUtE Nd gEt a J0B.

1 0 1 0 1 0 == 42

*I may not set the best example to follow. Acutal results may vary.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jan 29, 2013 at 06:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    LOL, I checked out years ago and never came back from the dark side. Man, what have we become!?! What a bunch of old farts we are, telling this poor kid to go to class and be responsible, because someday he might have a good life/work balance and a 401K. Screw that noise, kid, don't listen to any of us. Don't trust anyone over 30. Ditch, go surfing. You only live once. Sh!1, some of the best memories of my 7 years of college were my ditch days.
    or
    gO tO sCh00oL. GeT g00d GrAdEs$. gRadUtE Nd gEt a J0B.

1 0 1 0 1 0 == 42

*I may not set the best example to follow.
    ^^^ THIS! You have you ENTIRE LIFE to work and be "responsible", F THAT, GO SURF! You'll be just fine, don't listen to the teachers on here, that's what they're suppose to say!!!

If the surf session will help your brain for studies then go for it. You'll come back feeling great and everyone wil wonder why you have that smile on your face. Though doing both would be a good compromise.

Yeah, I rememberin FL, skipping school and hitting the Bee Line Expressway to Cocoa. Got a day of surfing in and still got back before rents got home. How was school today son? It was great! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroevol View Post
    Yeah, I rememberin FL, skipping school and hitting the Bee Line Expressway to Cocoa. Got a day of surfing in and still got back before rents got home. How was school today son? It was great! LOL
    Where in FL you from Zeroevol? Sounds like me and my buddies back in the day. I still hit the Bee Line these days, just no school to skip unfortunately, just put in my time off request at work and go.

No TheWocal, I do not want to upgrade to the express lube service. Just pump the gas, please.