LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Waves vs School

Quote Originally Posted by newenglandflatness View Post
    OR if you're using paid time off i.e. the aforementioned sick and personal days that would usually go to other uses. Really though, comment was only intended to point that you don't need to "live it up while you still can" - I'm still living the very much not-a-pro-surfer dream and have no plans of stopping! I don't live right on the ocean, or even in a town/city that fronts the ocean, and the current state of my quiver can certainly vouch for the cost of surfboards - doesn't mean you can't take some time (especially sick and/or personal time, which in most cases is paid time that goes to waste if not used) to get out of the office for a day!

Vacation days, now those get stored and used en mass on surf trips. There's a method to the madness.
    I only have 15 days off & I am the youngest of four surfers within my company. My boss is well aware of the sporadic "dentist appointments." "Live it up while you still can" was not intended to be applied to a location or surfing expenditures, but rather the fact that life is only going to present more and more obstacles. It would be presumably easier to skip school than a job, which has a direct impact on your financial status. You can call in sick every day for a month, but the juice will never stop flowing. Balance does more justice to life than it does surfing. In my post, I mentioned that it would have to be prime conditions to justify taking a day off, like the two days I took off for Sandy. The key to "live it up while you still can" is what preceded it: "know what's ahead of you."

I have only missed two days of school so far this year... If you were me, looking at the forecast do you think it's worth it on Thursday?! I have nothing major going on except a Spanish test, whichI can easily make it up after school sometime next week. Give me your decision

Quote Originally Posted by TheWocal View Post
    I have nothing major going on except a Spanish test
    You're gonna need that in order to communicate with your future co-workers...

OK, I'll stop jiggling your jigger (another "cultured" drinking measurement reference for ya Gaff). I skipped plenty, and more for beavertailwetsuits than surf. I'm lucky and somewhat unlucky I don't have a 9-5 kinda gig. I work whenever, the problem is I often work whenever, i.e. every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Erock View Post
    You're gonna need that in order to communicate with your future co-workers...
    Erock, I am laughing my a$$ off, thank you!

Images
    Thursday is looking like it could be pretty fun boyz! Should I skip school Thursday and go snag some waves? Haven't surfed in a while so this swell is looking pretty tempting to me! What do you guys think?!
    I didn't bother to read all the comments so far......but here's my two cents worth........GO TO SCHOOL! Prepare your life for more and better surfing. Learn everything you can in school....now.....while you still can. Surf before, surf after, but whatever you do don't skip school.

What you do now will help determine your future.....want to flip burgers and live out of your van (which there is nothing wrong with that) and never see a day of paid vacation time (something very wrong with that)?.....skip school.

Also when asking this question, you should consider the sources. I am the GM of a business, I get 3 to 4 weeks paid vacation a year, I own my house and car........and many boards......Most of the time I get to surf whenever I want.....I am in my mid thirties and I didn't skip school.....(actually wish I would have gone longer.)

should i skip school/work is kind of like asking is this board good for me. wocal, buddy, you gotta make your own decisions

Quote Originally Posted by pinkstink View Post
    should i skip school/work is kind of like asking is this board good for me. wocal, buddy, you gotta make your own decisions
    I think most people who ask these questions have already made their decision, they are just seeking validation from others who may possibly be more experienced than them. But I agree, you gotta make your own decisions.

"Mike"

Thursday is looking like it could be pretty fun boyz! Should I skip school Thursday and go snag some waves? Haven't surfed in a while so this swell is looking pretty tempting to me! What do you guys think?!
    Go. No question, unless they are testing you for 100% of your grade tomorrow, go. You wont remember the class or the missed attendance tally, but youll damn straight remember the swell

Images
    Make damn sure your house is in order before you turn your back on any commitment, start your own business so other people work for you and surf anytime you want.<br /><br />
    Give me your decision
    <br /><br />You must not be that committed to going if you have to be told what to do. Don't make a habit of being told what to do. Tell others what needs to be done.
    Last edited by TX Shreddin; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: forgot quotes cuz I was worked up like a Dad

Quote Originally Posted by leethestud View Post
    drop out and become a bartender. Your 20's will rock! The rest of your life... eh
    Truest statement ever made.