LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Would this board be suitable for me?

Would this be suitable for me? I live in the UK.
    I can duck dive easy, bottom turn & am attempting reo's.

Pukas The Game - 5'6 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/16

I'm 5'8 150lbs.

Appreciate it alot.
    Last edited by Aesthetic; Jan 30, 2013 at 02:53 PM.

Images
    I don't think it has enough stickers. Did you see any with like double the amount of stickers as that one, if so get that one.

I didn't choose it for the stickers... Constructive help would be nice :/

also only one of those is a sticker the rest is already on the board.

Images
    For your size it looks right as your performance shortboard but dont expect this thing to be good in waist high mush. Sweet board overall, how much are they asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Aesthetic View Post
    I didn't choose it for the stickers... Constructive help would be nice :/
    Ok, don't come on this board and ask, "should I buy this board?", or "is this board right for me?" It's the most common question asked by novices and kooks. Figuring out if a board is right for you is a private act that will involve only you, possibly your shaper (can be the same person), your deity or deities of choice or lack thereof and some righteous waves. Asking this question is the surfing equivalent of asking, should I drink diet coke or regular coke, some of this you have to figure out for yourself. Yes, i know, boards are expensive and u want to get the right one for all occasions and every wave and you only have a few schillings or whatever crap u use for money over there. Thing is, that board doesn't exist. If cost is a concern, get a cheaper beater, because here's the thing, if you surf, your board's gonna get thrashed. If it doesn't, you ain't doin it right an your board's a wall hanger. There's a guy in Norway, shredding it on a board made of resin, newspaper and foam from a refrigerator door, in Arctic waves, be that guy. Got it?

The second most common idjit questions are, "where's a good place to go surfing?", or "how will the waves be when i get to this destination?" or "should i paddle out?" These red flag questions imply that the questionnaire knows feck all about surfing etiquette and lacks the know all, willpower and drive to find waves on their own. These people are a plague and have contributed vastly to what is known as "the pussification of surfing". Surfing is something we all have in common, but catching waves is something we each have to do on our own. Nobody is going to catch them for, nor will any board (except a wave jet, buy one of those). NOYA

The last, most commonly asked question is, "who or what is SouthJettyBill?"
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jan 30, 2013 at 03:48 PM.

I need to add something to this, so that perhaps you understand that I'm not trying to harsh your gig. If you want to know if a board is right, pose your question in a way so that it can actually be answered, the question you asked originally can't.

Start by asking yourself this:
    What makes a board "right" for me?

A lot of things, but the big two are:
    1) what kind of surfer are you?
    2) what kind of waves will you be surfing in?

Answering the first is easy if you're honest with yourself. I'm a big dude, I need a board with some extra float. I like to go real fast, make deep carving turns and love steep drop-ins. So I prefer more performance oriented shapes. I'm also a very experienced surfer. That influences the type of board I'm mostly likely to buy.

2 is harder. The waves that you will be surfing should dictate the board you ride. Not every board works the same in different types of surf. It's why we all end up with quivers. People don't go the North Shore and surf Mini-Simms (most people that is and actually this is becoming a not uncommon thing, I'm just using it as an example). You don't go to Tourmaline with a big wave gun (again most people that is, I have seen 10' guns there on 1-2' days, those people are clueless).

My suggestion to you is to refine your question a little bit. How long have you been surfing? What's your real level of experience (beginner)? Where and in what kind of waves do you expect to take this board out in and how frequently will you surf it? Your size and dims are important. You did get that right.

Also, rather than asking other people if a board is right for you, ask the forum if anyone has any experience riding that particular board or one like it. How did they like it, pros and cons? How tall are they, what do they weigh? What their level of experience is and what kind of waves they surfed it in? This will help you determine whether a board is right for you or not.

Know what I mean Verne? Good luck and Bob's your Uncle.
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jan 30, 2013 at 06:24 PM.

Yikes, that was rather harsh on the poor little fella

that board is tiny. 5'6 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/16??WTF? do yourself a favor, add another 6 inches to the length and then we can talk. unless you're Joe Pro, you're not gonna be having fun on that thing. you're gonna miss a lot of waves due to a lack of fom/padde speed/paning surface. try not to be so cool and buy a board that fits yor skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by salt View Post
    that board is tiny. 5'6 x 18 3/4 x 2 3/16??WTF? do yourself a favor, add another 6 inches to the length and then we can talk. unless you're Joe Pro, you're not gonna be having fun on that thing. you're gonna miss a lot of waves due to a lack of fom/padde speed/paning surface. try not to be so cool and buy a board that fits yor skill level.
    and **** you if you say anything about my spelling.