LOGIN | REGISTER

Mouth guard - anybody use one?

I just got fitted by my dentist for a night guard because I clench my teeth when I concentrate or am exerting myself, and am grinding em down to nubs and need crowns, etc. Since he told me this, I noticed when I come out of the water sometimes my jaw is actually tired from clenching when I'm paddling for waves. So I am thinking of wearing a mouth guard when I surf but it seems like it'd be tough to get used to, especially swimming and exhaling under water, etc. I don't want to lose the thing.

Anybody have any experience or advice with this? Anybody try those high performance Armourbite things that go on the lower teeth?

Before I hear the inevitable kook gear comments, I'm trying to save myself thousands in future dental work here.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ragdolling View Post
    I just got fitted by my dentist for a night guard because I clench my teeth when I concentrate or am exerting myself, and am grinding em down to nubs and need crowns, etc. Since he told me this, I noticed when I come out of the water sometimes my jaw is actually tired from clenching when I'm paddling for waves. So I am thinking of wearing a mouth guard when I surf but it seems like it'd be tough to get used to, especially swimming and exhaling under water, etc. I don't want to lose the thing.

Anybody have any experience or advice with this? Anybody try those high performance Armourbite things that go on the lower teeth?

Before I hear the inevitable kook gear comments, I'm trying to save myself thousands in future dental work here.
    I hear ya on this. I had a bad teeth grinding dream last night, they're the worst. I don't think it's terribly kooky i mean every football player wears them, boxers, mma.... pretty much all sports have some people that wear them sometimes. No one's gonna be checking out your grill anyway.

My initial thought is to quit the coffee or 5hourenergy drinks or the coke or whatever.....if that's not the case, maybe stress management....either way, grill comes first.

Images
    you wont lose 'em if you super glue 'em....just kidding...some people would actually try it.

Images
    My wife has a night guard for grinding her teeth. I sometimes cant sleep because of it. She doesn't surf though so can't help you on that. Its not kooky at all IMO, if it saves your teeth wear it, I ain't judging.

Images
    My only concern would be on a heavy wipeout, I'd be freaked out the thing would get lodged in my throat.

Interesting thread...I've been hit in the mouth so many times by my surfboards it's no wonder I haven't lost my front teeth. I've debated whether I should wear a mouthguard similar to what I what I wore as kid playing football and baseball. I might give it a try and add it to the many hats, sun glasses, and contact lenses I've left on the bottom of the ocean.

Ask your dentist if there is a solution for fitting the thing to your teeth like they would a partial or something like that. That aside, I think a football-style guard will be too cumbersome and inhibit your breathing.

Just try things out. Even if you go through 100's of mouth guards it's still way cheaper then getting into the chair of pain and expense.