LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Yup... meteorologically, winter is thought of as December, January, And February, even if that's not how it works astronomically:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter#...ical_reckoning

I last surfed in mid-december, so it's been a pretty disappointing winter. But I have a newborn and can only get out on weekends, so I keep expectations low. Getting pretty desperate though.

Quote Originally Posted by gjp27 View Post
    I think the 'surf seasons' around here are generally accepted to switch a month earlier. I wouldn't classify Katia or Leslie as summer waves, despite both swells being well before September 21st. Similarly, i think most consider late november to be the start of winter with the water temps falling and the swells switching to shorter interval hit and run windswells.

Even so, I don't know how you can include the doomsday swell and say it is only a four. Those were the best waves in NJ since April 20, 2011, a spring swell.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ea...-photos_54431/

Maybe I am inflating my 7-8 becuase of how bad the past two winters have been.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gjp27 View Post
    I think the 'surf seasons' around here are generally accepted to switch a month earlier. I wouldn't classify Katia or Leslie as summer waves, despite both swells being well before September 21st. Similarly, i think most consider late november to be the start of winter with the water temps falling and the swells switching to shorter interval hit and run windswells.

Even so, I don't know how you can include the doomsday swell and say it is only a four. Those were the best waves in NJ since April 20, 2011, a spring swell.

http://www.surfline.com/surf-news/ea...-photos_54431/

Maybe I am inflating my 7-8 becuase of how bad the past two winters have been.

I disagree...not even winter till January IMO...but it's a matter of perception I suppose...I love late fall. I say we determine seasonal shifts by the solstices.
    Last edited by seldom seen; Mar 27, 2013 at 05:59 PM.

I would give it a 3. I'm in central/south fl and its been so slow. The last couple years seemed to be slow, I hope next winter will make up for the last slow seasons. Im getting a little irritated these days, freaking out need surf!!

As a NH/MA surfer, I am giving it a 3 at best. Did get a few decent days here and there. Some swells did not pan out here as they did down south more. Some waves came in last week, but while I was at work it was best. Didnt get on those. This weekend looks promising as long as the winds stay relatively offshore. Looking forward to scoring at one of our local points. NH/MA is a gem!

5. Quote Originally Posted by MFitz73 View Post
    Long Island hasnt gotten the same conditions you jersey guys got during those swells...
    Last tuesday on long island was amazing

consistency wise id give it a 3....but when it came through it was a solid 8+, those few howling offshore days were pretty damn close to epic.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    Here in FL i give it a 5.5
    I would have to give a 6.5, its been really good down here in s. central fl., we have picking up every major and minor swell since 2 weeks before Sandy, although it has been slow for about 10 days now, but before Sandy absolutely one of the crappiest summers ever.

I think Willis55 needs to get off the computer every once in a while...lol
    Last edited by fl.surfdog; Feb 5, 2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: because i wanted too

I go 3 in Vb , dooms day was real fun , the foggy day was pretty fun and then last week we had waves but the current was awful and the wave was pretty soft .

Quote Originally Posted by fl.surfdog View Post
    I would have to give a 6.5, its been really good down here in s. central fl., we have picking up every major and minor swell since 2 weeks before Sandy, although it has been slow for about 10 days now, but before Sandy absolutely one of the crappiest summers ever.

I think Willis55 needs to get off the computer every once in a while...lol
    I could agree with a 6.5, it sure has been fun!

Images
    I agree consistency wasn't there, but the swells that we got (at least in Jersey), each one was solid head overhead and nice conditions. This 30 mph offshore has gotta stop though.