LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winds

1. Winds

During the summer and fall its a no brainer to go out when theres swell and intense off shores but in the winter the wind, even offshore can be bad if its too strong. Do you guys go out with 35 mph off shores if its shoulder high+?

Hell yea man! It's honestly not too bad... Like I mean it's sucks, but all you have to do is to take a couple more strong paddle even when you think youre in the wave. I just hate when I don't catch the wave and I get mad water sprayed in my eyes haha

unless its directly offshore and not exceeding 30 ill go out. any offshore/sideshore wind with 30+ gets a little sketchy imo

4. this weekend on long island at the spot where i surf its gonna be directly offshore at 35-40 mph. the forecast will change but in general, I'm still debating it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hinmo24t View Post
    unless its directly offshore and not exceeding 30 ill go out. any offshore/sideshore wind with 30+ gets a little sketchy imo
    When the winds are blowing 30+, any little bit from directly offshore will make a difference.
    I actually just updated the Swellinfo forecasts to show more BLUE then GREEN when the winds are super strong and not directly offshore.

Heavy winds blow at NAZARE and there a pro surfer Garrett McNamara create 100foot ride

30mph is my cut off.. anything higher is just asking for an uncomfortable/leery situation in the winter.

The real problem is getting out of the water and taking that suit off in the winter wind. Ha Ha But if its snowing and its clean I'm on it. Sureal

Quote Originally Posted by picasoflake View Post
    Heavy winds blow at NAZARE and there a pro surfer Garrett McNamara create 100foot ride

yeah, PRO is the the keyword

Quote Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
    yeah, PRO is the the keyword
    how about "tow in" also...

30+mph is sketchy in cold water, period. not only does it make it hard to get in the waves, you've gotta constantly be aware of your positioning, as it is VERY easy to get blown out to sea. this can create a very dangerous situation, as it's not easy to paddle headlong against those winds & the chop they create.
    personally, i start to have a serious internal debate when it gets above 25mph or so, particularly in the late fall/winter/early spring.