LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Surfboards

I am Christian, but you're not impacting anything for Jesus. You're probably only turning people away from Jesus and giving Christians a black eye, like so many others do in the name of Jesus Christ. If you are sincerely trying to do ministry,you are way off and totally misguided.

No agenda. Will be spending extended time in NJ (OC). Have family in MON Co will be visiting some places up there and giving boards to some Hurricane Sandy victims. People give us the boards and we just give them to the people that need them.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sonfollowerssurf View Post
    No agenda. Will be spending extended time in NJ (OC). Have family in MON Co will be visiting some places up there and giving boards to some Hurricane Sandy victims. People give us the boards and we just give them to the people that need them.
    so are you a 501 (C)(3) or not? never mind...perhaps this is not the best venue to promote your crusade, anyway. you lay this on the the crew over at the http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/pos...t=0&Board=UBB1 they would be truly moved to learn of your mission and are likely to express enthusiastic feedback in no uncertain terms.
    Last edited by hanna; Mar 4, 2013 at 03:54 AM.

Registered non profit state of Fla, going through process of 501C3(long and expensive). Thanks for the link.

Sincerely Wayne

hey wayne. keep your religion off the beaches in monmouth county. there's already enough trash coming down from up north to keep us entertained.

hmmm.... wayne, i fail to see exactly how and where jesus fits into your organizations objective about spreading the love for surfing? Lets see, you ask people for surfboards, out of the goodness of their hearts people give them up, then you turn around and give them away in the name of jesus? That seems incredibly manipulative and down right wrong. What part did religion play in that transaction? Give the credit where the credit is due, its good people doing good things, not jesus. Don't use the sport that i love as a tool to push your beliefs on others.

keep your religious beliefs away from my beaches please.

Seems like giving boards to kids who can’t afford one is a good thing, regardless of the motivation behind it. However, I wonder Wayne if you could perhaps help me to reconcile a nagging theological question that I have long pondered.
    Exodus states:

Exodus C 2 v1-4
    1 And God spoke all these words, saying,
    2 “I am the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.
    3 “You shall have no other gods before me.
    4–6 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the LORD your God am a jealous God,visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

As it has been explained to me over the years, the underlying concept the of 1st & 2nd Commandments is that we should only worship the Lord, that we should abhor false idols and that worshiping anything other than the Lord, be it a rock, or a tree, a golden calf or a 300’ tall Buddha statue is idolatry.

My issue is that at one time, by all definitions surfboards were revered as sacred objects:

The Ancient Hawaiian people did not consider surfing a mere recreational activity, hobby, extreme sport, or career as it is viewed today. Rather, the Hawaiian people integrated surfing into their culture and made surfing more of an art than anything else.[citation needed] They referred to this art as heʻe nalu which translates into English as “wave sliding.” The art began before entering the mysterious ocean as the Hawaiians prayed to the gods for protection and strength to undertake the powerful mystifying ocean. If the ocean was tamed, frustrated surfers would call upon the kahuna (priest), who would aid them in a surfing prayer asking the gods to deliver great surf. Prior to entering the ocean, the priest would also aid the surfers (mainly of the upper class) in undertaking the spiritual ceremony of constructing a surfboard.

Hawaiians would carefully select one of three types of trees. The trees included the koa (Acacia koa), ʻulu (Artocarpus altilis), and wiliwili (Erythrina sandwicensis) trees. Once selected, the surfer would dig the tree out and place fish in the hole as an offering to the gods. Selected craftsman of the community were then hired to shape, stain, and prepare the board for the surfer. There were three primary shapes: the ʻolo, kikoʻo, and the alaia. The ʻolo is thick in the middle and gradually gets thinner towards the edges. The kikoʻo ranges in length from 12–18 feet (3.7–5.5 m) and requires great skill to maneuver. The alaia board is around 9 feet (2.7 m) long and requires great skill to ride and master. Aside from the preparatory stages prior to entering the water, the most skilled surfers were often of the upper class and pastors, including chiefs and warriors that surfed amongst the best waves on the island. These upper class Hawaiians gained respect through their enduring ability to master the waves and this art the Hawaiians referred to as surfing.[1] Some ancient sites still popular today include Kahaluʻu Bay and Holualoa Bay.[2]

History of Surfing

Hawaiians had an animistic religion; with surfing, a balance with nature and a love of the land as its core tenets. It would seem that surfing was both a social and religious activity, which if you ever spent much time in a small town, sounds a lot like Sunday Church to me and ergo surfboard are religious artifacts. One could make the argument that modern surfboards aren’t the same as ancient surfboards and the intent of the user gives significance to the object; however I ask, as a Christian would you keep a mennorah in your house or a Buddha statue or a Barang mask? Just because one doesn’t use an item for the religious purposes that it was originally intended, does it make that item any less idolatrous? So, since surfing was and in some ways still is, a quasi-religion and therefore surfboards are the means by which that religion is practiced, how do you reconcile that as a Christian with the 1st and 2nd Commandments?
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Mar 4, 2013 at 08:48 PM.

I don't know what the issue is about a fellow Christian wishing to provide young people who might not be able to afford a surfboard the opportunity to try surfing and at the same time, perhaps lead them to know Christ.
    This organization is welcome to drop by the Brunswick/Jekyll Island area anytime. I'm sure I'll be able to find some kids wanting to surf and learn more about their salvation.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    so are you a 501 (C)(3) or not? never mind...perhaps this is not the best venue to promote your crusade, anyway. you lay this on the the crew over at the http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/pos...t=0&Board=UBB1 they would be truly moved to learn of your mission and are likely to express enthusiastic feedback in no uncertain terms.
    That is a fantastic suggestion. If you think anything said on here is offensive you would have a lot of souls to save on that forum

Quote Originally Posted by StuckontheGulf View Post
    Just do it yourself on a local level.
    That's what Jesus said.