Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Surfboards

hey wayne. keep your religion off the beaches in monmouth county. there's already enough trash coming down from up north to keep us entertained.

hmmm.... wayne, i fail to see exactly how and where jesus fits into your organizations objective about spreading the love for surfing? Lets see, you ask people for surfboards, out of the goodness of their hearts people give them up, then you turn around and give them away in the name of jesus? That seems incredibly manipulative and down right wrong. What part did religion play in that transaction? Give the credit where the credit is due, its good people doing good things, not jesus. Don't use the sport that i love as a tool to push your beliefs on others.

keep your religious beliefs away from my beaches please.

I don't know what the issue is about a fellow Christian wishing to provide young people who might not be able to afford a surfboard the opportunity to try surfing and at the same time, perhaps lead them to know Christ.
    This organization is welcome to drop by the Brunswick/Jekyll Island area anytime. I'm sure I'll be able to find some kids wanting to surf and learn more about their salvation.

Quote Originally Posted by hanna View Post
    so are you a 501 (C)(3) or not? never mind...perhaps this is not the best venue to promote your crusade, anyway. you lay this on the the crew over at the http://forum.surfermag.com/forum/pos...t=0&Board=UBB1 they would be truly moved to learn of your mission and are likely to express enthusiastic feedback in no uncertain terms.
    That is a fantastic suggestion. If you think anything said on here is offensive you would have a lot of souls to save on that forum

Quote Originally Posted by StuckontheGulf View Post
    Just do it yourself on a local level.
    That's what Jesus said.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquidneck View Post
    hmmm.... wayne, i fail to see exactly how and where jesus fits into your organizations objective about spreading the love for surfing?.
    Jesus didn't own shoes bit he rode a fish didn't he?

To the surfer in Brunswick/Jekyll Island I really need to talk to you. Currently we have no stops in Georgia. You can contact us via phone 321-626-9107 or facebook Son Followers Ministry Cocoa Beach or PM me.

Thanks Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by GA longboarder View Post
    I don't know what the issue is about a fellow Christian wishing to provide young people who might not be able to afford a surfboard the opportunity to try surfing and at the same time, perhaps lead them to know Christ.
    Its pretty typical - i'm not surprised he's getting the reaction he is. The guy claims to be doing something righteous, spreading the word he strongly believes in and traveling around costs money so donations are welcome. Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. People who want no part in it (myself included) can't just leave it alone and say "thats not for me, I'll pass" they have to try and take him down by winning some sort of argument.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    So, since surfing was and in some ways still is, a quasi-religion and therefore surfboards are the means by which that religion is practiced, how do you reconcile that as a Christian with the 1st and 2nd Commandments?
    zaGaffer,

I noticed your question and that is a very good one. The apostle Paul dealt with something parallel in the early church when meats that were used in Pagan ceremonies were sold for cheap in the market afterward. The question came up, should a Christian be denied getting a decent piece of meat at a bargain because of his religious beliefs? The answer, in a nutshell, is no, unless it were to cause someone else to stumble in their beliefs/conscience, then, out of sacrificial love and concern for another, your would for go the meat for the sake of some one else. See Romans 14 and 1 Corinthians 10:23-31 for the discourse. Basically, the Christian believer has great liberty, however, such liberty is to be used with a love and concern for others and not self. In the case of a surf board, I would think it has "no spiritual appraisal" to one who has put their faith in God. To the believer, it only becomes a problem if surfing were to steal a proper affection due God, or somehow hinder or distract a proper love and concern for their fellow man, or their responsibilities.

As far as some of the concern regarding the mix of surfing and religion, I appreciate the concern. Many bad things have been done in the name of religion, and many good things as well (i.e., the founding of hospitals, etc.). Likewise, can be said of good and bad things outside of religion. I suppose we'll have to take the good with the bad.

To the OP, if you are motivated by the stoke of love in your heart, then go for it.

There is no religion being endorsed here. This is about having a personal relationship with Jesus and spreading the good news that goes with that. Free Surfboards for all in need of one.