LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Surfboards

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    I don't care what you ride, as long as you show respect. Some of the better surfers around here have been known to break out the SUP, even on bigger days.
    I believe it, Brew, whether people want to accept it or not, having one will make you a better surfer, or better yet, better watermen. It strengthens your core and legs so much it's ridiculous. All that time spent standing / balancing makes your sea legs stronger and stable. When you switch to a prone board and pop up to your feet, your solid and on really good days your legs don't get tired from riding wave after wave because your so use to long periods of standing / balancing that's it's nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    I don't care what you ride, as long as you show respect.
    It rarely works out in practice. Consider that the SUP rider surely must be aware that most of the surfers in the lineup are bummed when they show up, because it actually does impact surfing to have someone on such a substanially different watercraft in the lineup. I personally would feel like I was being disrespectful just by showing up and doing something that I KNEW diminished their enjoyment, much like i wouldnt want a kayak or ski puttering around in the lineup no matter how much the operator tried to show respect. I get on a sup once in a whlie, but i could never hover over a lineup of surfers on one knowing the impact it has. To each his own though. They have every right to be in the ocean, and in a lineup.
    Last edited by scotty; Sep 11, 2013 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    It rarely works out in practice. Consider that the SUP rider surely must be aware that most of the surfers in the lineup are bummed when they show up, because it actually does impact surfing to have someone on such a substanially different watercraft in the lineup. I personally would feel like I was being disrespectful just by showing up and doing something that I KNEW diminished their enjoyment, much like i wouldnt want a kayak or ski puttering around in the lineup no matter how much the operator tried to show respect. I get on a sup once in a whlie, but i could never hover over a lineup of surfers on one knowing the impact it has. To each his own though. They have every right to be in the ocean, and in a lineup.
    Never in crowds, it's just not worth it, for lots of reasons

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    I am not bummed with the dudes I know out here that SUP. They are out there with me and we take our turns on waves. It may be different in the crowded areas, but we have a long beachfront with plenty of spots. Even on a busy day here, there are only a couple SUP guys and maybe 10 surfers.

I have never seen or surfed with an SUPer who had any clue so maybe that's where my animosity comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    I have never seen or surfed with an SUPer who had any clue so maybe that's where my animosity comes from.
    Understandable, I get frustrated with the noobs who try it out around here from time to time, I almost got ran over by one not too long ago at the Inlet, I was on my short board, he was on the SUP, and the guy came within an inch of my head, so I get it. If you ever want to see someone operate one with skill and etiquette, come on down and I'll show you how it's done. You'll learn a new appreciation i'm sure, and I'll make sure to call you into a few set waves too, not that you need any help i'm sure, but I don't mind throwing a bone here and there, with the view we get we can see them coming before anybody else and can see more clearly where they'll break. But honestly man, these days I just haven't been all that into it, been digging on the LB and Coil too much to bother with that lug.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Hey anytime mang. In all reality my statement was tongue in cheek and honestly I have no problem with what people choose to believe provided it doesn't harm others. But you're still the man.
    It's cool. And +1 w/ the "no harm, no foul" approach. Shaka.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    ...Hope my posts didn't offend you.
    No worries. It's all good. My point was that your story illustrates a problem that's been going on a long time. In fact, the people who Jesus got intensely angry with was not the lowly sinner, but the religious hypocrites in His day. He had choice words for them.

Quote Originally Posted by capecodcdog View Post
    No worries. It's all good. My point was that your story illustrates a problem that's been going on a long time. In fact, the people who Jesus got intensely angry with was not the lowly sinner, but the religious hypocrites in His day. He had choice words for them.
    Good i'm glad, and you are correct, I guess that's what bothers me the most about organized "religion".

The thread that just won't die for your sins.