LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Surfboards

Quote Originally Posted by cjswee View Post
    I hope science also proves that liberal ass-hats have self-anointed themselves all
    knowing in turn irrelevant. I'm not a religious person but I hate a-holes like you that
    have nothing better to do then prove how negative your view point is and try to
    beat down others w/ vitriol.
    I'm not liberal.
    Where am I being negative?

Having the freedom from religious worship/belief is positive thing. How much time, energy and money is wasted trying to support the religious institutions of the world? Couldn't we put those resources to better use instead of trying to buy our way into "eternal salvation"?

The sad fact is we are organic lifeforms who die and decompose like anything else.
    When you come to terms with that, every second seems more precious then the last.

"The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides."

- Carl Sagan

Images
    Sure we're organic life forms that die and decompose, but that says nothing about what may or may not happen after. The more we learn about the planet and universe, the more complex we realize it is. Putting the Sagans and Dawkins types aside, I'm sure there are plenty of scientists aren't as quick to say when you're dead it's over and that's eat. Eat some psilocybin dude.

Yea, 'shrooms are cool. Definitely helps you wrap your mind around abstract ideas. Here are a few:

Try accepting "nothingness" as a possibility. I feel as humans we always presume there is "something" that had to come before, or "something" that happens after. Could it be possible that the universe is just infinitely old? Isn't it likely the universe is infinitely old?

Anyway, surfing should be exempt from religion. And nobody should be trying to get more people into surfing. Could we user religion to lure more people out of the water? That would be great!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by burritoman View Post
    Yea, 'shrooms are cool. Definitely helps you wrap your mind around abstract ideas. Here are a few:

Try accepting "nothingness" as a possibility. I feel as humans we always presume there is "something" that had to come before, or "something" that happens after. Could it be possible that the universe is just infinitely old? Isn't it likely the universe is infinitely old?

Anyway, surfing should be exempt from religion. And nobody should be trying to get more people into surfing. Could we user religion to lure more people out of the water? That would be great!
    I fully condone this message. Especially about luring people out of the water. Riding waves is either for godless heathens or polytheistic earth/ocean worshipping savages. Except for capecodcdog, he's the man.
    Last edited by seldom seen; Sep 10, 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by burritoman View Post

Except that the universe isnt infinitely old or large.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    Except that the universe isnt infinitely old or large.
    Depending on which theory/model you subscribe to. Too much information is unknown to us currently to be making finite statements about the universe, or mulitverse, depending on your view.

Im a big fan of m-theory and the ekpyrotic universe model but the is a large amount of evidence that supports the age of the current universe.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    Except for capecodcdog, he's the man.
    Thanks Seldom. It's good to know I have a place in the line up.

I was actually considering jumping in the fray, but I'm concerned my post could be as lengthy as a Pauline epistle.. but, what the heck, here's an abbreviated version of whats on my mind..

Perhaps I'll throw out a few questions to ponder:
    1. What is the Gospel (or Good News)? Why is it Good News?
    2. Is there a Biblical mandate for it to be proclaimed? If so, what does this entail? What does this not entail? In other words, what means should be used to communicate it, and what means should not? Note: I realize a "Biblical Mandate" only applies to those who believe. It also makes sense that any message needs to be communicated in some fashion.

One other thought. The New Testament suggests that the Gospel is an offense. Why is this so? I have thoughts on this: It proclaims there is a God, which forces divine accountability upon us, it proclaims man as failing short of the divine standard, and unable to rectify this situation by his own means, and thus put in us in position to depend on "foreign aid", which ruffles our pride. There are probably other reasons.

The big problem, which I regret is when Christians themselves become the offense and stumbling block. The message and faith itself is difficult enough, without hypocrisy in the way. It grieves me when I hear stories like what DPSUP experienced, which certainly would leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth. Which is quite unfortunate.

When people have such a negative experience, how then can they possibly "Taste and see that the Lord is good"?

Peace, Bro's & I hope everyone gets a lil' swell..
    Last edited by capecodcdog; Sep 11, 2013 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    Someone is a little self rightous. Why go to church when I can go to this forum?
    Remember this...... the church is not the building, it is the people that gather to talk about Gods Word.

church= a group of Christians who come together regularly to worship, to learn, to serve God and others,and to pray for each other and help meet each others needs.

Cool.

I've been a big fan of cyclical theories since reading about Einstein's early ideas on oscillating universe theory back in high school.

More recent cyclical theories being put forth based on the foundations of the ekpyrotic scenario seem to support infinite cyclical expansion and contraction of the "current" universe.
    We can estimate the age of the "current" universe as time since the last cyclical expansion event.

However when defining the universe as everything that ever existed, exists or will exist, we cannot know the true age of the universe since cyclical theory suggests that the universal cycle is self sustaining and continues on into the future and past indefinitely. Although to be fair, the universal cycle prior to the current one may not have had the same dimensional attributes as our current universal state and thus cannot be measured as time.

All of this is theory, and is sure to ruin the mood any dinner party faster than someone who takes a dump in the living room.

We should start a new thread without the 24 pages of christian surfboard bribery talk.