LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 9 of 33 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Surfboards

Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    sonfollowersurf is simply being obedient to the scriptures more specifically, the great commission.

Matthew 28: 16-20
    Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

nynj: We are not talking religion. It's more like spirituality. How could you place Jesus in the same category as all those dead people and make believe character? Christ is alive and He doesn't look like He did while He walked the earth.

John speaking in Revelation:

I turned around to see the voice that was speaking to me. And when I turned I saw seven golden lampstands, and among the lampstands was someone “like a son of man,” dressed in a robe reaching down to his feet and with a golden sash around his chest. His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and his eyes were like blazing fire. His feet were like bronze glowing in a furnace, and his voice was like the sound of rushing waters. In his right hand he held seven stars, and out of his mouth came a sharp double-edged sword. His face was like the sun shining in all its brilliance.

When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. Then he placed his right hand on me and said: “Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades

Sorry to post all the verses but the Word of God is the only thing that will penetrate most of your hearts.
    This is what we're talking about, Wally. You think you know better than us what's good for us. Stow it.

Images
    I'm sorry that you feel that way. However, I will never "stow it". God has given the great commission and He knows better than me, you or anyone who has ever lived what is good for us. You can take it or leave it. I'm not forcing anything on anyone but you are gambling and your bet is that there is no God. What happens if you're wrong?

I wish less people in my life "stowed it" for the first 20 years of my life. Would have saved me a lot of pain and torment.

I have never seen so much intolerance in my life. A man's got to believe something. I believe I'll have another drink.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wallysurfr View Post
    sonfollowersurf is simply being obedient to the scriptures more specifically, the great commission.

Christ is alive and He doesn't look like He did while He walked the earth

Sorry to post all the verses but the Word of God is the only thing that will penetrate most of your hearts.
    I've been following this thread and have stayed out of it due to high volume of work among other reasons, but for you guys spreading the "Word" it's tidbits like this that, while I can't speak for others, I find rather annoying. Assertions of truth on matters that truth cannot be found on. If you want to follow the teachings of Jesus that's fine. But as a historian by academic training, it's hard to reconcile the the good of the church with hundreds of years of bad. Also, when viewed objectively as a historical document, in terms of the who, when, and how it was written, more issues arise(Council of Nicea 300+ years after the fact, influence of Paul, etc.). Nevermind the anthropocentric and patriarchal implications of the whole thing. My mom is a practicing Catholic, I was raised Catholic, didn't work for me(and I consider myself a spiritual person still, probably more than the average Christian). If it works for you, then that's awesome and I say go for it, but don't be surprised by hostility on an internet surfing forum. Give kids boards for the sake of giving kids boards, impact the coast for the coast.

*Not intended as a personal attack towards anyone, just my .02. I believe in the notion that there are many paths to the top of the mountain.
    Last edited by seldom seen; Mar 8, 2013 at 02:09 PM.

I go to "church" everytime I paddle out. That's my santuary, it's where I find peace, it's where I commune with God. I tried the traditional church and it didn't work for me... but I do still have my relationship with God and I communicate with him through nature, by being part of his kingdom and the very creatures he put here on this earth. Being part of something so beautiful and amazing, it's impossible for me to deny something of higher power created it. I don't need someone to tell me that he exists, I don't need a free surfboard to believe he's real. I just paddle out and everytime and I come back refreshed, with a renewed spirit, full of life, love, and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by seldom seen View Post
    I've been following this thread and have stayed out of it due to high volume of work among other reasons, but for you guys spreading the "Word" it's tidbits like this that, while I can't speak for others, I find rather annoying. Assertions of truth on matters that truth cannot be found on. If you want to follow the teachings of Jesus that's fine. But as a historian by academic training, it's hard to reconcile the the good of the church with hundreds of years of bad. Also, when viewed objectively as a historical document, in terms of the who, when, and how it was written, more issues arise(Council of Nicea 300+ years after the fact, influence of Paul, etc.). Nevermind the anthropocentric and patriarchal implications of the whole thing. My mom is a practicing Catholic, I was raised Catholic, didn't work for me(and I consider myself a spiritual person still, probably more than the average Christian). If it works for you, then that's awesome and I say go for it, but don't be surprised by hostility on an internet surfing forum. Give kids boards for the sake of giving kids boards, impact the coast for the coast.

*Not intended as a personal attack towards anyone, just my .02. I believe in the notion that there are many paths to the top of the mountain.
    Right on & totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    I go to "church" everytime I paddle out. That's my santuary, it's where I find peace, it's where I commune with God. I tried the traditional church and it didn't work for me... but I do still have my relationship with God and I communicate with him through nature, by being part of his kingdom and the very creatures he put here on this earth. Being part of something so beautiful and amazing, it's impossible for me to deny something of higher power created it. I don't need someone to tell me that he exists, I don't need a free surfboard to believe he's real. I just paddle out and everytime and I come back refreshed, with a renewed spirit, full of life, love, and happiness.
    So true; that's probably not how this thread will end, but it's how it should end.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    So true; that's probably not how this thread will end, but it's how it should end.
    +2.......................

Images
    I hear ya man. I had many doubts and researched every way to discredit it before I believed too. God's in control of everything so I'm sure He has control over what His Word says. I don't think He would have dropped the ball on that.

Truth on matters that truth cannot be found on = faith. Belief in evolution theory takes more faith than believing in a Creator, in my opinion.

Everyone these days claims to be so open minded. If that's the case shouldn't we at least consider this to be one of the options?

If anyone is offended I apologize. My intent is not to offend. However, the Good News is offensive. I'm just going to lay out the Gospel real quick and then I'll be done unless anyone has any questions for me.

1. There is a God and He is Holy (set apart and perfect)
    2. We are sinners (bad things happen in the world because evil has entered the world)
    3. Sinners cannot go to heaven w/ their sin because God is there and He is perfect and cannot have sin in His presence. This is a problem for anyone who wants to go there. Got to lose the sin.
    4. God DID make a way for us to lose the sin and that was through His son Jesus Christ who came, died on the cross, took on the sin of whoever would believe in Him and rose from the grave on the third day.
    5. Our job is simply to accept salvation as a gift. There is nothing we can do to earn salvation. Then spread the Good News which is exactly what Wayne was trying to do!

When thngs are going great in life, God is responsible. ex. Ray Lewis crediting God for every win...

When things are bad, where is he? ie. I didn't hear Ray say God was the reason thse 2 people god murdered at the strip club.

If God is responsible for everything then he destroyed my house in October