LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fin lay ups

Fin lay ups

Saw the fin set up thread and thought this would be a funny juxtapose. Fresh out the oven, right before I cut 'em out. 30 layers of 4oz, 6 different colors counting the swirl, each color 5 layers thick. Haven't finished foiling them yet; need a new grinder disc, might have more pics then.

FinLayup1.jpg

that's awesome! i've often thought about making my own fins, but i'm not sure i have the skill or time to invest in such an endeavor. what's the template you're using?

"Template" is giving me far too much credit. I rough traced 4 outlines from the left and rights off a set of k-grip carbon lite(s), then reduced 2 of them about a 1/4" on all sides for trailers. Why? Why not, I leave precision and the science of surfboard making to the experts. I just try to have some fun. Cut those out with a jigsaw and started grinding away until I realized my disc was pretty worn down. I do it by eye man and don't worry too hard about how they end up, as long as they're pretty smooth and not too wonky. Just a way to kill some time, the waves were shot on Saturday.

nice. is that a baking pan that you did the lay up in? i think i'll have to give this a go some time...maybe in the summer after my wedding & things calm down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    nice. is that a baking pan that you did the lay up in? i think i'll have to give this a go some time...maybe in the summer after my wedding & things calm down a bit.
    Yep (hence the fresh out the oven yolk). Make sure that it's never been used for baking though, as that warps the metal. Easier if they pan's flat. I just line 'em with a sheet of waxed paper.

That is really cool. Definately post a pic when you are done, interested to see how that turns out. What are you using as a binding agent, just resin or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfish View Post
    That is really cool. Definately post a pic when you are done, interested to see how that turns out. What are you using as a binding agent, just resin or something else?
    Just poly resin, let dry, sand in between layers, more fiberglass, more resin. Rinse and repeat. Cut out fins, apply grinder and elbow grease. Wear out an old grinder disc, find out it's the last one, quit in disgust until the next time there's no surf (luckily few and far between), open beer, pull out bar-b-que, apply charcoal, lighter fluid, more lighter fluid, more lighter fluid. Apply flame. Wipe away ashes of eyebrows, apply steaks. Repeat until the desired effect has been achieved.

i have to say that the baking pan idea is WAY better & more appealing than the suggestions made in this thread from swaylock's, but there's a lot of good info here, too:

http://www.swaylocks.com/node/1020929

definitely gonna have to give this a go over the summer. the laying up & laminating don't worry me too much, but the foiling!

Can I just say that when I saw the title of this thread I thought it was some hip new lingo for a turn that throws the fins of a board and was a discussion of some sort about that. .......yup.

At this rate these fins'll be done sometime in September. One of these days I need to break down and buy an FCS jig.