LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Surf

Spring Surf

Hey everyone, just wanted to start a post about the waves so far this spring in Ocean City, Maryland. I think that we have had a very active spring so far. I've been surfing pretty fun waves for probably about three to four weeks strait and a couple times a week. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought about spring so far....

Images
    I guess it all depends on your definition of "good" waves. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't get "good" very often around here......

Images
    very good winter through march. starting to taper off a bit...

Images

Okay, let's see. . .

. . . what factors would you like us to include in the assessment? Size, direction, wind velocity and direction, bottom contours, et al? As for size, I suspect few will have any complaint. As for prevailing wind conditions, I suspect many will have considerable complaints, as would I. You'll get little argument about this past winter, and spring is still barely underway, but size has been respectable but the winds (it is spring after all) have not been at all beneficient. The really good news is that probably soon after this posting the water temps should pass the 50 degree mark. Always a good thing. As for me- time for a get-in-shape trip to OBX where the water temps are in the mid sixties already. Old bones move better in warmer water, and I'll leave the colder quality swells to the young pups.

Spring this year has had very unfavorable winds and conditions so far, but it's just started.

On the flipside, if you aren't down with riding chopslop, you may as well move off the east coast.

ExtremeSpongerChicks Guest

spring in NJ

Quote Originally Posted by SurfingOC912 View Post
    Hey everyone, just wanted to start a post about the waves so far this spring in Ocean City, Maryland. I think that we have had a very active spring so far. I've been surfing pretty fun waves for probably about three to four weeks strait and a couple times a week. Just wanted to see what everyone else thought about spring so far....
    We have had a pretty consistant winter, though it seems as though OC seems to be getting the better swells this spring. Not that there is any room to complain, being we had such a strong winter Seems as though the winds have not been as favorable to our central jersey surf locations this spring. I hope we have a decent sized swell for the summer!

Images
    that is a very typical spring characteristic. We often get a decent amount of swell in the spring, but that distinct offshore wind shift isn't as reliable as the winter swells. Looks like some potential for the end of the work week here.

We've gotten quality swell every week for quite awhile,now.
    If you are committed to being there when the conditions get right,you surf a lot lately.
    Need to be there and be on it when it gets rippable.
    That's it.

Quote Originally Posted by MDSurfer View Post
    beneficient
    thats a cool word

ExtremeSpongerChicks Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbreak View Post
    We've gotten quality swell every week for quite awhile,now.
    If you are committed to being there when the conditions get right,you surf a lot lately.
    Need to be there and be on it when it gets rippable.
    That's it.
    Unfortunately we can only count on it being rippable on weekends, so we have missed out on some decent swells that have hit mid week and fizzled by the weekend. What can you do?