LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Superpump 250 and lots of water. Works like a charm.

Images
    Eff those energy drinks.

If it's a real dawn patrol where I roll out of bed and go (having loaded boards, wetsuit, towel, etc. the night before), I usually just grab a bottle of water and something light to eat to raise the blood sugar - banana, toast, cookies, granola bar, pop tart, whatever is around. If I went with someone, we'll almost always treat ourselves to a post-session breakfast at a nearby greasy spoon joint. Scrapple tastes best after surfing.

If it's a more leisurely later-in-the-morn sesh, my favorite "energy meal" is chocolate milk and those mini powdered donuts from the 7-11. Makes for the best tasting burps in the lineup.

Energy drinks are terrible for you, regardless of sugar free or not. The solution to energy problems is having a healthy lifestyle / diet. If you eat correctly and lay off sugar, caffein and booz, you'll have more energy than you know what to do with. I got off the caffein train a couple years ago and i am always up and ready to go. Thought i'd need the caffein while I was quitting it but i find i have MORE energy than before.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnPatrolSUP View Post
    lay off sugar, caffein and booz
    Yeah, give up sex, weed, 'cid, raw oysters, chocolate milkshakes and double-doubles too. Line at the in-n-out is too damn long as it is. I do prefer to avoid too much caffeine before dawn patrol though. Makes it hard to focus on my breathing.

Waves were good at 6:00pm last night and again at 6:00am this morning.

Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. - George Burns

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Yeah, give up sex, weed, 'cid, raw oysters, chocolate milkshakes and double-doubles too. Line at the in-n-out is too damn long as it is. I do prefer to avoid too much caffeine before dawn patrol though. Makes it hard to focus on my breathing.

Waves were good at 6:00pm last night and again at 6:00am this morning.

Actually, it only takes one drink to get me loaded. Trouble is, I can't remember if it's the thirteenth or fourteenth. - George Burns
    Not what i'm suggesting at all there Bub. I still drink beer and eat something unhealthy from time to time. Was just saying that most people who are constantly chasing energy are doing so because they are putting the wrong things in their system. If you are someone who drinks a lot of caffein your body will be in a relentless never ending cycle of wanting / needing caffein, and your mind will covince itself that is what you need for energy. I broke that cycle a couple years back and now I never ever need caffein to have ample energy. I even burn one or two daily and still have energy to spare. It's cause of how I eat / drink.

Good advice here but what's life without a few vices????

Reminds me of an anti-running quote I read once:
    "Studies show that people who run regularly live 10 years longer than those who don't. The downside is you spend that extra 10 years running."

As someone who'd rather split a truck load of firewood or dig a 4' hole for sh1ts n giggles than run a 1/2 mile, it always made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by goosemagoo View Post
    Good advice here but what's life without a few vices????

Reminds me of an anti-running quote I read once:
    "Studies show that people who run regularly live 10 years longer than those who don't. The downside is you spend that extra 10 years running."

As someone who'd rather split a truck load of firewood or dig a 4' hole for sh1ts n giggles than run a 1/2 mile, it always made me laugh.
    I agree 100%, definitely should have a vice or two, the key is to do those things in moderation but have a standard lifestyle you stick with after you have endulged in the said occassional vice. Have your "fix" and then give yourself a week or two straight of none of it, having balance is the answer.

Images
    If your looking for good energy to surf on carb up..... but don't sugar up. Looking for a good way to end up with an enlarged heart, guzzle plenty of those crappy sports drinks day in and day out and you'll be in the ground way before your time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    Caffeine has proven ergogenic effects - just google 'caffeine triathlon', almost 3/4 of Ironmen triathletes report using caffeine to enhance performance. If you're really interested in the performance boost caffeine will give you, you need to do some research on dosing - how much to take and when to take it in relation to exercise.
    I did work for a guy who said caffeine had beneficial affects. He said dosage and the individual was the key. He knew quite a bit scientifically and actually had a canister of "pure caffeine" in powder form (it wasn't coke).

A couple years ago I developed a complete intolerance to caffeine. A single cup of coffee or can of coke will ruin my whole day, making me feel like sh*t in a squirrely hang-over type fashion. The weird part is I drank one or two cups a day for years with no issues. It took me more than a month to figure out why I felt like turd snacks every day. I cut out the coffee and boom, there was the problem. I still can enjoy a cup of decaf though.
    Last edited by Doug; Feb 21, 2013 at 01:19 PM. Reason: no