LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crucial

Crucial

Hey,

I was visiting family in the San Diego area near La Jolla and was looking forward to surf for a week. I was wondering whether there were any surf shops that offer quality short boards for rent on a daily or weekly basis that are reasonably priced. I am asking because of the expensive board fees on multiple airlines and thought it would be smarter to rent a board than bring my own and potentially damaging it on the way. If anyone has any recommendations it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Images
    You don't want a short board...we have had 3 foot max waves the past 2 weeks

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilSurf View Post
    Are you sure? What if he gets an Al Merrick or something like that. Won't that work even if there aren't waves?

Images
    do some research. google is a great tool for that. you could probably type the locatation your staying at, use google maps and find a bunch of shops around. im sure there is plenty in the la jolla area. give them a ring and ask around.

ZGafer should be able to help you out, i believe that's his backyard if i'm not mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemsonSurf View Post
    Are you sure? What if he gets an Al Merrick or something like that. Won't that work even if there aren't waves?
    Classic.

I got stuck renting a funboard from a surfshop in OB, and it wasn't cheap. Depending on your airline, bring one.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilSurf View Post
    You might find some nuggets.

Good Morning
    Reef_01222013_712AM.jpg

Sunday was fun
    IMG_0537a.jpg

I don't know where to rent boards. I find them on the side of the road on my street or in the garbage all the time. Same holds true for La Jolla. I think I saw a Wizard Sleeve for 380$ on Craigs, looked Cherry. I saw a Coil M80 for 400$ , brand new! Guy "didn't like it, too thin". He said he was 175 and it has 1.08cubic feet. Seriously?!?! I surf a step-up at 1.10 and I push two bills, I need at least 1.25-.3 in an M80 though. There is a BEAUTIFUL Campbell brothers Thumb in Clairemont. Shaped by Malcolm and the dude's asking 440$. Awesome resin job. That is a HOT board. Too bad all three of them were too small for me. My wife needs something to nag me about. I bought a Dumpster Diver knock-off for 2 bills from some local shaper right at the start of January. Needed a new beater. Been riding that the last two days. For a week straight before that it was 1-2 footers on 9'+ boards. Only shop I ever go to in La Jolla is Mitch's, and I don't even know if they rent boards. They sell everything you need to make one though.

Point is, surfboards seem to fall from the trees out here. I have never seen anywhere else that you can buy boards from some of the best shapers in the world at dirt cheap prices. If I were you, I'd bring an empty board bag and 500$. Save a 100$ to ship whatever you get back home.

Or bring your own. You'll want something fun to ride out here. If it's longboard only waves, go to CostCo and drop a bill on a Wavestorm.

Start Here
    Last edited by zaGaffer; Jan 22, 2013 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Link Fix

Images
    Wow if we got 3 foot waves for 2 weeks straight over here on the east coast I would be ecstatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog View Post
    Wow if we got 3 foot waves for 2 weeks straight over here on the east coast I would be ecstatic.
    With the right equipment 3ft can be really fun. Coil Megamind comes to mind...

zaGaffer, im jealous. havent seen waves like that in a while. looks insanely fun. blacks? been flat as hell over here on the east side.