LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Indonesia

  1. #1

    Indonesia

    hello all,

    i have a place i can stay in Indonesia - on Java, specifically Tangerang - in July.

    Tangerang is located in west Java - unfortunately on the north end of the island - opposite the indian ocean.

    just wondering if anyone could share insight/experience with the area. i'm most interested in the surf, but any wisdom at all would be appreciated.

    many thanks
    jason

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    43
    I'm kinda surprised no one has responded. I'd appreciate some info on Indo as well. Considering a job in Jakarta but that's a solid 3 1/2 hour drive to the Indian Ocean. Maybe even twice that w/their horrendous traffic backups in the city.

    Someone out there's gotta know something...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,601
    Quote Originally Posted by mbs05c View Post
    I'm kinda surprised no one has responded. I'd appreciate some info on Indo as well. Considering a job in Jakarta but that's a solid 3 1/2 hour drive to the Indian Ocean. Maybe even twice that w/their horrendous traffic backups in the city.

    Someone out there's gotta know something...
    Difficult to fathom that there's no info available on the WonderfulWideWeb.
    Just wondering why you're not doing any research of your own in re: a major re-location.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    500
    "I'm kinda surprised no one has responded. I'd appreciate some info on Indo as well. Considering a job in Jakarta but that's a solid 3 1/2 hour drive to the Indian Ocean. Maybe even twice that w/their horrendous traffic backups in the city."

    2006 wife had a position in Jakarta at a medical research center there but it fell through last minute. I was stoked but after having been to Bali... I am certain Indo driving is not for me (unless youve been in it you have no idea) and I likely would not want live there if surfing was that big of a hassle for some very tide dependent waves....and for what its worth that's the Muslim part of the country
    Last edited by Stranded in Smithfield; Feb 22, 2013 at 01:37 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Difficult to fathom that there's no info available on the WonderfulWideWeb.
    Just wondering why you're not doing any research of your own in re: a major re-location.
    Do you really think I need to do research, yankee? I was hoping someone on this forum would tell me it's a cool place, and I will just go. Besides this is my first day on the interwebz, I don't really know what I'm doing.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stranded in Smithfield View Post
    2006 wife had a position in Jakarta at a medical research center there but it fell through last minute. I was stoked but after having been to Bali... I am certain Indo driving is not for me (unless youve been in it you have no idea) and I likely would not want live there if surfing was that big of a hassle for some very tide dependent waves....and for what its worth that's the Muslim part of the country
    S.I.S., thank you for a useful response. The position I am considering is to teach English. The company I have applied with has many openings in Jakarta, but none in Bali at the moment. Getting to a surfable beach from Jakarta on a regular basis is really my biggest reservation about moving there. I would hate to be so close, yet so far away from some great waves. Besides driving, how was your experience in Bali? I may just wait for something to open there.

    To the OP, from the research I "haven't" done, it doesn't seem like there is much of a wave to be had in the Java Sea. But it is known to be a great place for diving. Maybe you could use Tangerang as your homeplate and hop around the West Java coast. Panaitan Island, on the western tip of Java, looks like a great place to start.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Jacksonville FL
    Posts
    500
    The plus side...Bali is for surfers what disneyland is to little kids...all your surfing dreams will come true. The definition of world class waves. Some of the nicest people I have ever run across.

    The downside...getting around Kutta sucks and is generally true for everywhere else as well south of changu to the peninsula...unbelievable traffic combined with stoplights, stop signs, and a million scooters packed with entire families weaving in and out of traffic....and that's in the off season. Overrun with Aussies...unless you have lived in that part of the world you wouldn't understand.

    I feel you on the Jakarta deal...I was young and willing to role the dice for the chance to surf good waves but looking at it now...it may have been unreasonable (even though I kinda knew that then). However in this age of google earth there are still plenty of uncrowded world class waves elsewhere....I understand the attraction but don't limit yourself. If the company has something open in Micronesia PM me... I lived there for several years.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,601
    [QUOTE=mbs05c;156312]Do you really think I need to do research, yankee? I was hoping someone on this forum would tell me it's a cool place, and I will just go. Besides this is my first day on the interwebz, I don't really know what I'm doing.

    Right. I was trippin'. So on second thought: don't do any research. Nada. Absolutely not. You the man. Just go.
    It's a really, really, reaaaaaally cool place, brahhh. Burn one, feel the ocean & tasty waves, duuuuude, are yours. You could prolly ask the shredmachine for tips on Bali Bench-offs.

    And you claim to be a teacher? Seriously? No wonder so many non-Americans hate us.
    Last edited by yankee; Feb 23, 2013 at 03:03 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    470
    Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    No wonder so many non-Americans hate us.
    yeahhh. no wonder...

    the man is a Kiwi who is full of himself, as some of them are, islanders who cling to the inferiority complex of a rejected people who are the modern legacy of the cast-off stepchildren of the failed British Empire, doomed in their island paradise to raising sheep yet generating little hope, producing high-quality mutton but constructing sloppy wooden surfboards



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    MD - VA
    Posts
    3,601
    Quote Originally Posted by cresto4 View Post
    yeahhh. no wonder...

    the man is a Kiwi who is full of himself, as some of them are, islanders who cling to the inferiority complex of a rejected people who are the modern legacy of the cast-off stepchildren of the failed British Empire, doomed in their island paradise to raising sheep yet generating little hope, producing high-quality mutton but constructing sloppy wooden surfboards


    Didn't know you were such a Roy Stuart fan, crusto.

    Ah, jeez, you're off base yet again, crusto; once again, rushing to pull the trigger, influenced by your longstanding bitterness towards me from your bygone days in the lower 48. But it's nice to see that you read, remember, catalog & dwell upon my musings on a surfing forum.

    Mine is intelligent, analytical writing. 'Teacher' is going overseas to a post he knows nothing about & he's asking people like you & shredmachine, ahem, for career guidance.

    Shouldn't you be chasing those bears out of your front yard again, self-described studmuffin?

  10. Joyería en Madrid Jorge Juan Joyeros.
    http://www.diamantesdecompromiso.com...diamantes.html