LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Building the 'Hotkurl' 10'5"

Here are the three internal panels for the 10'5" Hotkurl. Three layers are used rather than the usual two, so that they can be made thinner, this allows them to be bent more easily to the required rocker and the bottom concave.The central panel has frames and blocking running athwartships. Since the central panel is on the neutral axis, fore and aft orientation is not necessary for strength.http://www.roystuart.biz/2013/02/mak...rl-part-3.html
    Last edited by Roy Stuart; Feb 25, 2013 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Because because because because, because of the wonderful things I does...

Nice snowshoe, could use a pair on a day like today (I'm up in Maine). Can you make one a 14" instead of the 10.5"? And what would a pair run me, not looking to spend over a couple hundred. Nice woodwork though, you should try making a surfboard someday. Got any ideas on design?

hot Karl? That is actually a sexual innuendo...

Images
    Nice design, but bad choice of names. Check urban dictionary....

Images
    What exactly is the hot karl? Only saw Garrison talk about it on South Park.

Quote Originally Posted by KookieMonster View Post
    Nice snowshoe, could use a pair on a day like today (I'm up in Maine). Can you make one a 14" instead of the 10.5"? And what would a pair run me, not looking to spend over a couple hundred. Nice woodwork though, you should try making a surfboard someday. Got any ideas on design?
    ^This^

I need some bog shoes for wade fishing in the marsh and this looks like it would work great. Plus, "Hot Karl" is an apt name seeing as how they will be covered with mud and smelly detritus after a good day of fishing.

When do you stuff the board with bricks of cocaine?

Looking forward to more pictures.

Roy,
    That appears to be very wide compared to your other boards. Is it a standup paddleboard version? I actually like the snowshoe-ish outline, it looks similar to a board I've wanted for a while:

I imagine the dimensions and fin setups are slightly different.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Roy,
    That appears to be very wide compared to your other boards. Is it a standup paddleboard version? I actually like the snowshoe-ish outline, it looks similar to a board I've wanted for a while:

ZaGaffer... I'll speak for Roy on this.... that board you have been looking at is inferior. You wanting one just shows the sheep mentality that you have bought into. so why don't you wake up and pay up... I'll sell you my snow shoe for 500k.

btw, I actually got some good surf yesterday, Im no long speaking for Roy here.... I sat waaaaay outside and was on the look out for kids to regulate, even if they didnt drop in on me...

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post

Roy,
    That appears to be very wide compared to your other boards. Is it a standup paddleboard version?

I've been using this width ( 27") since 2002, you'll see it on many of my boards including the 'Makaha' 12-9 shown on the earlier thread.

The panels shown will be trimmed about an inch on each side so are wider than the finished board. Thickness is only 2.5" so the board isn't for standup paddling.

I actually like the snowshoe-ish outline, it looks similar to a board I've wanted for a while:

The 'Thumb' looks very nice indeed,and this sort of shape can take all sorts of fin setups. Due to the long converging rail minimal or no toe in is needed on side fins, although it can be used.

Last edited by Roy Stuart; Feb 25, 2013 at 06:46 PM.