LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    The Thumb! I check out Surfy Surfy everyday and they refer to the thumb as the best board ever. Seems like a mini sim with a pintail and bonzer 5 setup. This exact board (with cosmic spraywork) is on my board bucket list.

And on a side note to Roy, You ever talk shop with John Wegner? I consider him THE wooden board king.

Quote Originally Posted by zaGaffer View Post
    Roy,
    That appears to be very wide compared to your other boards. Is it a standup paddleboard version? I actually like the snowshoe-ish outline, it looks similar to a board I've wanted for a while:

I imagine the dimensions and fin setups are slightly different.

No, I've talked to tom a few times though, he said that my boards were the inspiration for him to start making wooden boards.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post

Given that these boats ride like a displacement hul

If by 'displacement hull' you are referring to the usual type incorrectly referred to as such, I have to disagree. The difference in the ride between the two types is vast.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Stuart View Post
    If by 'displacement hull' you are referring to the usual type incorrectly referred to as such, I have to disagree. The difference in the ride between the two types is vast.
    Not to go off topic about a million different ways I'd rather spend 500 000 dollars, but one could buy nearly every model m series bmw (8 in total) for the price of one of these boards.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Wet Monster View Post
    The Thumb! I check out Surfy Surfy everyday and they refer to the thumb as the best board ever. Seems like a mini sim with a pintail and bonzer 5 setup. This exact board (with cosmic spraywork) is on my board bucket list.

And on a side note to Roy, You ever talk shop with John Wegner? I consider him THE wooden board king.
    JP is the man. I just moved North up the road a little bit, but spent the last two years living within spitting distance of SurfySurfy. I dig the thumb, I don't know if it suits my style of surfing though. I still wanna try it out, looks super fun. I'm with you on the cosmic spray. The only person I've seen riding one is JP and his style is much less aggressive than mine.

Funny side note, John Wegener, Tom's brother, surfs Leu-town pretty often. I've talked to him a bunch. Really soulful dude. Usually rides a paipo. His paulownia alaias and paipos are works of art.

How much you think it will end up weighing? What is it at now?

Quote Originally Posted by diewalrus View Post
    one could buy nearly every model m series bmw (8 in total) for the price of one of these boards.
    The well heeled surfer not faint of wallet could have all of the above.

Quote Originally Posted by dawnpatrol1187 View Post
    How much you think it will end up weighing? What is it at now?
    The finished weight is usually about the same as the board is at this stage of shaping, which is 23 pounds.

whoops- meant tom. I live vicariously on through that blog. I can't wait to get my hands on a custom campbell bros. I bought a used 3 fin bonzer bottom step up (for me) off craigslist in Baltimore for 165 and its almost mint besides some yellowing. I would pay $500k for a Malcom's boards for SURE>

Duncan Campbell rode our 13 footer at Haleiwa, said he was stoked. Malcolm sent me a picture of a pre bonzer fin setup which they'd come up with, it is very interesting but he asked me not to publicise it.

Tom and I have quite bit in common regarding rails and fins, but of course he is into noseriders so the result is quite different. He said that my boards were the inspiration for him to start making wooden boards.