LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wetsuit hoods

Hybrid View

wetsuit hoods

I have heard that hoods can effect with balance and i was wondering if thickness maters. i have 5 mm hood and i notice that i don't surf as good. any one think if i had a thinner one it would help?

thanks.

Never heard of that... and can't say I've experienced it. I think by the time you're into your 5mm hood, your 7mm boots, and 6/5/4 full, your surfing is compromised by your gear no matter what.

never liked them fro winter. lets in too much water and is constricting.

Quote Originally Posted by aka pumpmaster View Post
    never liked them fro winter. lets in too much water and is constricting.
    You go all winter with no hood? There is no possible way lol.

Atleast if you live in the Mid Atlantic or Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by ThatSlyB View Post
    You go all winter with no hood? There is no possible way lol.

Atleast if you live in the Mid Atlantic or Northeast
    i was assuming detachable/separate hood.

You could consider that you cant hear the wave as well with thicker rubber on your head. Hearing and equilibrium are interelated. I've found this to be true especially being a musician. WE use all our senses when we surf even though may not be aware of it. I'd suggest experimenting different hood thinkness' and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    You could consider that you cant hear the wave as well with thicker rubber on your head. Hearing and equilibrium are interelated. I've found this to be true especially being a musician. WE use all our senses when we surf even though may not be aware of it. I'd suggest experimenting different hood thinkness' and see what happens
    This is true, i picked up a light weight 3/2 hood by Hyperflex to throw on with my 3/2 suit down here in FL for days that are really cold / windy (far and few between), i've used it twice now and it definitely was a blessing having it for the days I was out, but it certainly felt a bit different with it on and can affect the balance for the above reasons, but it's not super thick so I still surfed pretty well with it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post

So true... my buddies think I'm crazy but I love tasty waves and the smell of a fresh barrel .

Images
    Never had that prob, catmaster. But I have a 3 mil. on my mutant 5/4. Is a bit flushy though.

if your wetsuit is too small when you pull your hood up it could constrict the natural position of your head pulling it back or downward which will effect your balance. Thickness will effect how warm your head is. THis plus what LBcrew said.