LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Cheap Surf Products

We all know that China makes about 90% of our surf products. I just found a website you can order direct from China for a quarter of the cost.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...tId=0&manual=y

Really good deals, I'm going to order a pair of fins for $20. My past transactions with them have been super smooth, Ill update everyone on the quailty of these fins.

Interesting site.
    Nothing says 'slave labor' and 'quality' quite like $7.00 leashes & $ 13.00 'Quiksilver' board shorts & $ 69.00 3.8mil wetsuits. (3.8....?)
    Corporates like Quiksilver & others must be just lovin' sites like these.

Not ripping on you, fupa; just making observations.

Quote Originally Posted by yankee View Post
    Interesting site.
    Nothing says 'slave labor' and 'quality' quite like $7.00 leashes & $ 13.00 'Quiksilver' board shorts & $ 69.00 3.8mil wetsuits. (3.8....?)
    Corporates like Quiksilver & others must be just lovin' sites like these.

Not ripping on you, fupa; just making observations.
    Slave Labor...yes but different surf products than what your buying in the surf shop....NO!!! Sorry dude but I'm a working man, I'd rather give the manufacturer $12, than buy the same boardshorts for $60 in the States. Good on them for elimnating the middle man (quiksilver, billabong). I have no issues buying from China. And neither do any of the major surf suppliers (I.E. Quiksilver Billabong, Rip Curl). Although, they just have to be careful about the licensing, but thats not my problem. We can go on and on about China manufacturing but that is just the nature of the beast these days. Also, keep in mind that these are coming direct from the manfacturer so their English may be poor which could explain the 3.8mil wetsuit. They don't surf (clearly) but just make the products.

Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    Sorry dude but I'm a working man, I'd rather give the manufacturer $12, than buy the same boardshorts for $60 in the States...I have no issues buying from China.
    yea, screw the other working men who are trying to get by! screw the surfer shops that support the local surf communities, i need to have $20! saving MY $$$ is all that matters, f**k everyone else.

hope you have no issues buying your boards from china, b/c that's the logical end result of this. i've said it before, & i'll say it again: i'm happy to shell out a few extra $$ to support my local surf community, both the shops & the shapers.

Quote Originally Posted by njsurfer42 View Post
    yea, screw the other working men who are trying to get by! screw the surfer shops that support the local surf communities, i need to have $20! saving MY $$$ is all that matters, f**k everyone else.

hope you have no issues buying your boards from china, b/c that's the logical end result of this. i've said it before, & i'll say it again: i'm happy to shell out a few extra $$ to support my local surf community, both the shops & the shapers.
    While I agree with you in principle, I believe his logic on boardies and wetsuits is sound. We all wear Billabong, Oneil, etc suits and shorts, and all these are made in china. Either way, you are paying money to china, so this may cut out the middle man. Boards are a little different, as you can actually get those made locally.

Quote Originally Posted by brewengineer View Post
    While I agree with you in principle, I believe his logic on boardies and wetsuits is sound. We all wear Billabong, Oneil, etc suits and shorts, and all these are made in china. Either way, you are paying money to china, so this may cut out the middle man. Boards are a little different, as you can actually get those made locally.

unless you only go direct to the shaper, you still need to go through a shop to get boards. w/out clothing, wetsuit, & accessory sales, surf shops wouldn't exist. it's impossible to stay in business selling only surfboards. if that happens, eventually it won't be feasible for shapers to stay open, even selling directly to surfers b/c the vast majority of surfers don't get their boards that way. & if the surf shop route is removed, they'll go to places like costco which will sell only cheap made-in-china boards.

Its funny how you think your self rightous by spending more on the same products. Thats not supporting local thats just dumb. You think that by giving the shop a buck or two extra is going to change your local economy. Blame Walmart and Costco, not China. Bet in your efforts "spend extra supporting local" you support China and the manufacturing of their products. Yeah your board is local but the FCS/Future plug and fin plug, IS MANUFACTURED IN CHINA!!!!! Point being is your supporting some cause that is not under your control. Sorry rich guy but that extra $20 is going into my pocket. Ill support local when I eat. Im not paying $35 for a $12 leash. Lastly, the shops need to give us a reason to shop there. For the most part they are Sh*t. REALLY, I can't get a bar of wax after spending $650 on a custom board. Business 101 Surf shops are word of mouth. And as someone mentioned before, there is a reason we are all shopping at Wetsuitwarehouse.com.
    Last edited by fupafest; Mar 5, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

REALLY, I can't get a bar of wax after spending $650 on a custom board. Business 101 Surf shops are word of mouth.
    i've already addressed the other stuff you mentioned, & you didn't get it, so i'm going to focus on this. & i think this one statement reveals a lot. if you're not getting a bar or 2 of wax when you buy a board, you're probably a bro-brah asshat who, having never walked into the shop before, starts asking for "bro-deals" on everything in sight; "hey, bro, think you could throw in a tail pad & knock $100 off the board?" "how 'bout throwing in a leash, bro?" i work in a shop (i've never made a secret of this), & see that **** all the time. people think that if they throw enough "bros" & "brahs" at me, the cost of doing business will magically go down & i can cut them a break. you want that pad or leash for free? then guess what? you're paying for wax.
    on the flip side, if you're humble, & don't assume you're entitled to a $600 board for $500 (which is probably damn close to cost), & you're a regular at the shop, then you'll get hooked up. it's like earning your spot in a line up...it takes time & patience. if you have to ask for a deal, you don't deserve it.
    it's not about being self-righteous, it's about supporting a crucial piece of our communities. i don't know where you live, but here in nj, there are many, many people who would be a lot worse off after sandy w/out the support of the local surf shops & surf communities. shops are one piece of the puzzle, but they help bind the community together.

I'd rather give the manufacturer $12, than buy the same boardshorts for $60 in the States.
    That's not your only option. There are other alternative domestic companies producing quality products out there...if your issue is the price point--cut a pair of your old jeans into a pair of shorts and surf in those; get some hand-me-downs...use that pair of "umbros" that you have in your closet--cost way less then purchasing a pair of $12 shorts if you get my point.

Other Options:

Need a leash...a board bag...want to support a domestic/local product click on the link: http://www.midnightproducts.net/index.html

Want to buy a pair of local/domestic trunks...http://www.katinsurf.com/boardshorts-c-20.html

Quote Originally Posted by live4truth View Post
    That's not your only option. There are other alternative domestic companies producing quality products out there...if your issue is the price point--cut a pair of your old jeans into a pair of shorts and surf in those; get some hand-me-downs...use that pair of "umbros" that you have in your closet--cost way less then purchasing a pair of $12 shorts if you get my point.

Other Options:

Need a leash...a board bag...want to support a domestic/local product click on the link: http://www.midnightproducts.net/index.html

Want to buy a pair of local/domestic trunks...http://www.katinsurf.com/boardshorts-c-20.html
    Neither of these options are supporting local shops, as njsurfer is pointing to. Personally, I would not be sad if a couple of our local shops shut down. If they aren't focused on carrying any local shaper's boards, they are no good to me.