LOGIN | REGISTER

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    To me, the original post reads like an advertisement....

Quote Originally Posted by cepriano View Post
    helping out a mom n pop shop is the better way.
    Same reason why I don't eat in chain restaurants (except local "chains," like Surf Taco), and even avoid Home Depot if I can help it. Give they guy at the local hardware store the business whenever possible. Even my coffee comes from the local coffee roaster around the corner.

Keep it local... if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by ewwoodsurf View Post
    To me, the original post reads like an advertisement....
    No!!! I just wanted to give the forum an heads up that they can buy the same boardshorts, wetsuits ect that they buy in the store for a fraction of the cost. If you support local that is up to you. Sorry man but I can't believe how many label whores are on here. What is so hard to understand that most of your products come from China hence the ability to buy direct and avoid crazy mark ups. I've personally bought from this site without any issues. Yes, there are knock off products on here, you just have to research the manufacturer. Both Quiksilver and Billabongs boardshort manufacter is selling their products off market. The site is just a way for them to connect to the US.

Its funny how you think your self rightous by spending more on the same products. Thats not supporting local thats just dumb. You think that by giving the shop a buck or two extra is going to change your local economy. Blame Walmart and Costco, not China. Bet in your efforts "spend extra supporting local" you support China and the manufacturing of their products. Yeah your board is local but the FCS/Future plug and fin plug, IS MANUFACTURED IN CHINA!!!!! Point being is your supporting some cause that is not under your control. Sorry rich guy but that extra $20 is going into my pocket. Ill support local when I eat. Im not paying $35 for a $12 leash. Lastly, the shops need to give us a reason to shop there. For the most part they are Sh*t. REALLY, I can't get a bar of wax after spending $650 on a custom board. Business 101 Surf shops are word of mouth. And as someone mentioned before, there is a reason we are all shopping at Wetsuitwarehouse.com.
    Last edited by fupafest; Mar 5, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

So by the same logic, we should ALL be sending our manufacturing businesses overseas... cause it's cheaper. If you think it's stupid to pay more for local, than you must think it's stupid to pay more for local labor, too. So let's just send EVERYTHING overseas... our money, our jobs, our resources, our production... our souls... 'cause it's cheaper. Screw the American business owner, and screw the American worker, too. As long as I save that 20 bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    We all know that China makes about 90% of our surf products. I just found a website you can order direct from China for a quarter of the cost.

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...tId=0&manual=y

Really good deals, I'm going to order a pair of fins for $20. My past transactions with them have been super smooth, Ill update everyone on the quailty of these fins.

So FCS invested their money in research and development to design their removable fin system, then they paid pro surfers to test the designs and validate their perfomance, then they invested more money in engineering materials and the manufacturing process. All of this to produce a fin system that works well enough that consumers like you will benefit. But, its ok for you to cut out their profit and buy their product direct from the outsourced manufacturer in a country where patent protections mean jack sh!t. Because you're a working man it's ok to screw those FCS working men over....

You are part of the scum that drags down our economy.
    Last edited by foamdust; Mar 5, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by foamdust View Post
    You are part of the scum that drags down our economy.
    "And boom goes the dynamite"

Quote Originally Posted by fupafest View Post
    REALLY, I can't get a bar of wax after spending $650 on a custom board. Business 101 Surf shops are word of mouth.
    i've already addressed the other stuff you mentioned, & you didn't get it, so i'm going to focus on this. & i think this one statement reveals a lot. if you're not getting a bar or 2 of wax when you buy a board, you're probably a bro-brah asshat who, having never walked into the shop before, starts asking for "bro-deals" on everything in sight; "hey, bro, think you could throw in a tail pad & knock $100 off the board?" "how 'bout throwing in a leash, bro?" i work in a shop (i've never made a secret of this), & see that **** all the time. people think that if they throw enough "bros" & "brahs" at me, the cost of doing business will magically go down & i can cut them a break. you want that pad or leash for free? then guess what? you're paying for wax.
    on the flip side, if you're humble, & don't assume you're entitled to a $600 board for $500 (which is probably damn close to cost), & you're a regular at the shop, then you'll get hooked up. it's like earning your spot in a line up...it takes time & patience. if you have to ask for a deal, you don't deserve it.
    it's not about being self-righteous, it's about supporting a crucial piece of our communities. i don't know where you live, but here in nj, there are many, many people who would be a lot worse off after sandy w/out the support of the local surf shops & surf communities. shops are one piece of the puzzle, but they help bind the community together.

Quote Originally Posted by LBCrew View Post
    Same reason why I don't eat in chain restaurants (except local "chains," like Surf Taco), and even avoid Home Depot if I can help it. Give they guy at the local hardware store the business whenever possible. Even my coffee comes from the local coffee roaster around the corner.

Keep it local... if you can.
    I don't go to chain restaurants either, but my locally owned restaurants don't sell Applebees food.
    Last edited by brewengineer; Mar 5, 2013 at 04:13 PM.

So, everyone who wants to shop the local small American merchants is a "label whore"..."self righteous".."dumb"..."rich guy"...and the small surf shops are all "Sh*t."

Fupa, bro-ster, thank you so much. I hadn't realized how far I'd slipped.